Sign in to follow this  
Commander Flash

Do You Keep Your Sets Sealed?

I keep them open, since I like playing with them. Sealing is good for sellers, otherwise, it is fun to enjoy them.

What do you do?

Edited by KimT

Even if I am really a collector of the LSW line I like to open ALL my sets :cry_happy: . I never really understand why I should pay $100 for a big box that will be sitting in my shelf, what is fun about that? I collect LSW becuase I actually LIKE BUILDING my sets :tongue: . I know that when you open a box it somehow lose some of it´s value but I keep all my boxes in a safe please with nearly any damage at all on them :thumbup: . I like to display my sets and I know it would be very boring if I just display the "boxes" of my sets in the shelfs instead of the real thing. I actually own a whole room for my collection and nearly every person that visits my house like to "take a look" at the room so that another reason to "open" them.

i put my smaller boxes into the larger ones to conserve space. I have only done box collecting recently though.

This isn't box collecting. It is keeping your lego sealed (not opening the box). Don't go off topic.

From the posts now it seems as if most people have the same opinion. I myself love building lego and displaying it but as a collector I enjoy keeping a few sealed. I really like having a sealed 7140 x-wing as it was the first lego star wars set.

Also could someone please add a poll. Thank you

:oh: How do you keep sets sealed? That's just plain impossible for me. The second I buy a Lego set, I want to open it. In fact, sometimes I've even opened it in the car. (I know, bad idea) Those sets could go for alot online, and then you have even more money to purchase Lego. Personally, I would just open those sets, instead of selling them. I'll tell ya, there is nothing like shaking a Lego box, opening it, dumping the pieces out from the plastic baggies, and looking at all the new pieces you have just acquired. :wub: You can't beat the feeling you get from opening new Lego. So in short, heck no! I don't keep my sets sealed. I open them, build the set, keep it for maybe a week or two, then destroy it and sort all the pieces out into my collection.

BTW: I have recently started keeping the boxes, just 'cause they look cool. :tongue:

Edited by Spyder

Well, most of the time I barely get in the car before the set is open, so it's a definite no for me. I enjoy playing with my sets, so leaving them sealed be no fun.

-May the Force be with you.

You do have some vauleabe sets which I don't image you'd sell so open the Cantia would be so bad because you never had intentions to sell it. I'm tempted to keep some of my 10th annivery SW sets sealed but I opened them. I opened every set I own. I love to build and display them. I also snag some parts for mocs.

I generally leave mine sealed until I'm actually ready to build them. Over the past couple years, there have been so many good sets come out that I have amassed a bit of a collection of unopened sets I still haven't had time to build. Part of this is because I usually buy multiples of sets. Case in point was the #10179. My wife bought a first edition one for me shortly after it came out. I've left it sealed so far...and glad I did since this summer I scored another one 50%-off at Brickworld and built that one instead. So, yeah...I mainly leave them sealed until I am ready to build them or need the parts for MOCs.

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

I only keep a set sealed if I have multiple copies. Otherwise, I open and build it, or use it for pieces, depending on what I purchased the set for.

Never. I always open them, build them, and display them, and occasionally break them apart for parts. I'm never going to sell my sets (well, not anytime soon), so there's no point for me to keep them MISB. :classic:

Lately I've been keeping a lot of the sets MISB, but that's more a question of not having space and time to build and display them :laugh:

So far the only sets I keep MISB are some Western sets, Chrome C3P0, Chrome Darth Vader and small sets like that (brickmaster).

I do both. The sets where I keep MISB is usually where I find the sets late in the season on sale for a very very low price. With smaller sets like BP I sometime do buy multiple and keep one MISB but with bigger sets its only if it goes on sale.

I dont because its too hard to control myself. I dont buy multiples of a set anyway so I want every set in my display :sweet:

all the sets i buy, i open. as mentioned by others, no point in paying a lot of money to stare at the box-art & not being able to appreciate what's inside.

however recently due to lack of space, i have bought a few sets but not open yet. they will eventually be opened when i sort some space out for them.

go on!! open the sets & have fun!! :classic:

I mainly keep my sets opened because I can't stand to look at an un-opened lego set. I have started to keep a few sets un-opened, but it is not the easiest thing to do. What I cannot do is keep a star wars set un-opened. I must open it and build it. I also like to play with the sets I build from time to time as well. And when they sets are in the box, you cannot do that. The only thing that I hate about opened sets is that I am running out of space in my closet and that forces me to put them outside out my closet, causing them to get really dusty.

LegoKing

I always open them at some point or another.

If I've got work to do, an I really hate doing it, I don't open the set until all of the work is finished. My own little incentive/rewards program.

And at the momrnt, I have an unopened echo base. You know what that means! In fact, why the heck am I on this site right now? :tongue:

Edited by Darth Legolas

I have a bit of a unopened collection but is due to a lack of space like KimT. :classic:

small4.jpg

Insane collection alert!!!!!

I used to keep all of mine sealed, and i used to have a picture but I don't think it's hosted any more.Maybe I'll find it later.

I have since opened them all and put them in their own ziploc bags, but ai kept all the boxes just for myself. I' a purest when it comes to sets, so MOC's probabaly aren't in my future. Since i don't play with them that much this isn't a problem. i build one, display it for a month and take it apart. :cry_sad:

My motto is buy 2 of each sets that I like. One to open and one to keep sealed. Still lucky, I guess to be able to do such a thing.

I have a bit of a unopened collection but is due to a lack of space like KimT. :classic:

small4.jpg

Very nice collection Mutley. You have some great sets there! It looks like you took a picture of a Toys R Us shelf. :grin:

A bit!?! :oh3: You have more pieces there than are in my whole collection. And just to let you know, if you want some of that space back, I'll gladly take some of those sets off of your hands. :tongue:

Why would you want to keep your sets sealed? I thout playability was a factor in reviews. Legos are the perfect toy, and meant to be played with/displayed. I just can't imagine NOT playing with my legos.

I never understood the notion to keep sets MISB either, but then again, I'm not a collector. I only buy the sets I want (and can afford) and when I have them, I will want to build and play and have fun with them. Even if I don't intend to build it right away, or simply buy it for figs/parts, I still open it as soon as I get home (or, if I wont be home for a while, in the car), simply to see the newly acquired parts and figs and to feel the soothing touch of fresh, high-quality plastic between my fingers. :grin: There's nothing better than that.

The only sets I ever kept MISB are my two extra copies of Mini V-19 Torrent and Mini Soulless One because they were cheap and I think they might be worth something some day.

However, if I had the money to buy every set in multiples, I probably would have to leave some of them sealed due to lack of space too.