parchioso

Hats of Imperial Army

Although I also study Western History at High School, but certainly my understanding is far way below you folks, I am curious about the hats of the army as we see them in the Pirates set, after reading again the recent great review of the Pirates Chess set by einsteinonthebeach, I was comparing the hats of the Imperial Pawns vs the Imperial Bishops and wondering, are the hats fit for the rank?

i.e. Is the top hat worn by the Bishop denoting a higher ranking indeed? please note that the Bishops are the army minifigs from Tic Tac Toe, I once thought that Tic Tac Toe is good enough for Army building, but it seems that I need the Chess set as well for the Pawn soldiers (who are having different hats)

But I even suspect that the two types of hats are used during different era, anyone can share some ideas?

But I even suspect that the two types of hats are used during different era, anyone can share some ideas?

I suspect Lego of heavily using artistic license in all of their historic sets... for example, the Spanish conquistador helmets should have been used long, long before the shakos.

But as far as I'm aware, the shakos really do belong to the 'grunts' of the army. I think the reason the hats are reversed in the chess set is that the bishop traditionally has a higher hat.

Edit: Another factor is that the Lego company probably doesn't want to make it too easy for you to build your armies...

Edited by David Thomsen

Well the Shakos were worn by infantry more torwards the early-1800's, while the Tricornes were worn by redcoats during the Revolution and mid-1700's. I personally think that lego is giving us the option with this set on which time period of soldiers you want, it's just a preferance. Either that or they just want to give people the opprutunity to get more Tricornes.

It really depended more on the period in history what was worn. Tricorns were worn by most armies, by officers and other ranks through most of the 17 hundreds. During the Seven years war and American Revolution, they were seen in all armies. Apart from Grenadiers who wore tall Mitre hats. From the French Revolution onwards a number of armies wore Bicorns. The problem with these Tricorns and Bicorns was that when new, they were fine, but after some time on campaign with rain and even snow piling up on them they would often droop down around the ears. The shakos i believe originated out of Hungary and during the first years of the 18 hundreds they quickly replaced Tricorns and Bicorns in most armies. They were much more practical as the toughened leather would provide more protection from sabre cuts. They had a visor to shield the face and eyes from the sun, and inside were loops and straps to carry personal items.

Hi!

Well, The Shako was, as far as I know, only adopted for reasons of fashion. The Shako was much much heavier, more cumbersome, more likely to fall from the head and infinitly hotter. A well made Tricorn is even mor comfortable than a woollen forage cap. At least the british did soak the hats brim with shellack, so it was very very stiff. When soaken wet, it would become softer, but it will harden when it dries. The Brims were let down if the hat was out of shape, and dried again, or even re-shellacked, and then cocked again. Looks like new then^^ ("been there, done that") also it is a buch better protection from snow, rain, sun etc., as the brims can always be let down quite easily, in fact it was done upon marche squite often.

Regards,

Cpt. Harlowe

This might clear some things up, its pretty basic though.

1600's- The main European nations wore fedora-like hats,(sorry, I don't know what they're called, I just have this info in the back of my head, and even searched on Google to check my brain's reliability :pir-grin:) and Morions, (infamously worn by conquistadors) not just the Spanish. People still wore metal helmets in this time period, and in the 1500's, (guns didn't completely dominate the battlefield, because they were still pretty unstable and, well, sucked) and they still had pike-men.

1700's- Tricorns by standard infantry and bicorns by officers. Of course certain countries might have different hats, and and certain parts of the century might be different, not to mention different jobs, special groups, and elite regiments might have different uniforms/ hats.

Early 1800's- Shakos for the grunts, and bicorns for the officers. You've probably seen Napoleon with the bicorn on, or General Washington with one too.

Lots of European nations had varying types of shakos, but if you want to get that specific, get decals and custom hats from the AFOL community.

Mid 1800's- I don't know about the rest of Europe, and all the martial races the British had, but I know for a fact that the American cavalry units had fedoras, the infantry had kepis, and depending on rank/position, the officer can have either one of those. The martial races usually have hats according to their religion/culture(Exp. Sikhs-Turbans). ( You know what martial races are, right? :pir-laugh:)

Late 1800's- This is about when helmets came back into use, I think a white archeologist helmet would do you good for the British in the Anglo-Zulu war time frame.

Note: Tricorns were also used by the civilian population during the late 1700's/ Early 1800's. Additionally, the helmet used by the British in the late 1800's would work well for a civilian, particularly an archeologist.

That sums it up pretty well, very nice work.

Only one point there is, I think diffrently. The Bicorns did not really show up before the napoleonic era. I am quite certain, Georgy Washington wore Tricorns. The Shape of the Tricorns also changed over the time.

The earliest one were not as sharply shaped at the corners. In the middle of the 18th C. they were very nicely made, quite perfectly resembled by the Lego-Tricorns. Later, slowly the front corner became shorter. The did not evolve into bicorns, but only gave the idea...

Capt. Harlowe

Mid 1800's- I don't know about the rest of Europe, and all the martial races the British had, but I know for a fact that the American cavalry units had fedoras, the infantry had kepis, and depending on rank/position, the officer can have either one of those. The martial races usually have hats according to their religion/culture(Exp. Sikhs-Turbans). ( You know what martial races are, right? :pir-laugh:)

This time period I know (for American wear). Most Infantry, Cavalry, and Officers then wore a kepi, a forage cap (Which is basically a shako without its supports), and what you call fedoras, but I believe the correct term would be "slouch" hats. There was also the Hardee Hat, but most men disliked it and tossed it off at the first moment they could and placed a forage cap on there head :pir-tongue: , a much more comfy hat. There were some Shakos in use, but it was mostly for Dress Parades and such.

, and what you call fedoras, but I believe the correct term would be "slouch" hats.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I am quite certain, Georgy Washington wore Tricorns. The Shape of the Tricorns also changed over the time.

Haha, sorry I had a blond moment. Yea I noticed that when I was making a video time-line of British soldiers a while back.

Late 1800's- This is about when helmets came back into use, I think a white archeologist helmet would do you good for the British in the Anglo-Zulu war time frame.

Note: Tricorns were also used by the civilian population during the late 1700's/ Early 1800's. Additionally, the helmet used by the British in the late 1800's would work well for a civilian, particularly an archeologist.

You mean a pith helmet.

Take this overview for grenadier hats of the 18th century (showing different countries).

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/6164/di...adiershafo6.jpg

This one showing tricorns and bicorns and mitres: http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/9808/mistake27wu8.jpg

This picture gives a very nice overview over the hatwear of the french units during napoleonic times:

frenheadma9.gif

Which gives also a nice idea how to equip an army when building it in lego.

3643112381_3655d1229f.jpg

Here you find (from left to right):

bicorn: Austrian Gunner

helmet: Austrian dragoon

shako: Austrian infantry

ulan: Austrian ulan

bicorn: Austrian general

french style shako: Austrian hussar

top hat style: Austrian Landwehr

Kolpack: Austrian Hussar

top hat style: Austrian "Jäger"/rifle men

If you want to browse through different countries of one period, this may be a nice link: http://lego-minifig-generator.mac-au.eu/pn...goKnoetel4.html

Woody64

Edited by woody64

Basically I think the LEGO shako (the new one) comes closest to the ones of the standard Fusiliers.

Hi Woody64,

great helmets!!! Is it possible for us to buy some of those? I really would like to...

Again... great, no let's say excellent work!!!

Regards

Caramon352

Woody64 has an online Shapeways shop (look into his signature for the link).

I would use these for dragoon or lancer helmets:

So do I. And I use the silver and gold versions for my French Carabiniers.