Rufus

MOC: Imperial Shuttle

indexed.gif

Hello everyone. Here's my take on the Empire's beautiful Lambda Shuttle.

My goal here was to create a minifig-scaled shuttle with a realistic budget and minimum of hassle. I missed both official versions, but didn't like them that much. I didn't want to do a UCS version (many good versions exist), and it didn't have to be exactly to scale, but I wanted as many features as possible including chin-ramp, working landing gear, two-seater cockpit and reasonable interior. Eventually I was inspired to get started by the 8019 Attack Shuttle and the flat windscreen from City Corner, and here's the result!

On the ground:

lambdaoblique.jpg

And in flight:

lambdaflightoblique.jpg

Side elevation:

lambdaelevation.jpg

The vast majority of the model (I'd say about 95%) comes from just three sets: Imperial Landing Craft 7659, Attack Shuttle 8019 and the Torrent 7674 which I bought specially. A few small creator sets make up the rest of the pieces, except for eight black technic liftarms which I got from a pack of spares in the Lego shop and, of course, the City Corner window, which defines the look of the cockpit. I'm missing a few pieces, hence the asymmetric cockpit side-windows and grey 3x2 wing-pieces on the 'jowls'.

More piccies:

lambdacockpit.jpg

The cockpit seats two comfortably and connects to the rear through a short tunnel. Unfortunately I don't have an Imperial Officer so this one's being flown by a Tie pilot and a Stormie.

lambdadudes.jpg

The rear:

lambdarear.jpg

You can see I've borrowed the RAS's opening mechanism.

The underside, with one landing leg half-deployed:

lambdaunderside.jpg

The interior seats four comfortably and holds a weapon rack....

lambdaseats.jpg

lambdaselectweapn.jpg

... and refreshments for weary travellers!

lambdacoffee2.jpg

On the whole, I'm quite pleased with this. There are problems, like the dorsal fin's exposed technic beams, blocky colours and too-shallow rear edge. One day I will mechanise the wings and landing gear, but for now they are manual like the RAS. Any other things you like or don't like - fire away!

Finally, Darthie decends the ramp, (almost) without banging his head...

lambdadarthwalk.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Rufus

[Edit: fixed the width problem]

Edited by KimT

Wow, thats looking pretty darn good :thumbup:

Always one of my favorite ships from the OT, and like you i've never much liked the Lego Official versions.

Great work with this, id take this over the official versions anyday :classic:

That is very good! It looks just like the real thing. I love the use of the city corner window :thumbup:

Great work :thumbup:. My favourite section has to be the cockpit. I like how you have designed the windscreen using the small 1x2 trans smoke tiles on the side to expand it. You have managed to fit in all the details like the quaint rear canon and refreshment stall inside.

That is a very good MOC Rufus! I agree with Skipper, the cockpit has a very clever design. :wink: I like the interior. Just the right size! Do you have the SW Cross Sections book? If not, I recommend it because the interior could be as accurate as the rest! :classic:

Greetings,

JD

Thanks Guys!

That is a very good MOC Rufus! I agree with Skipper, the cockpit has a very clever design. :wink: I like the interior. Just the right size! Do you have the SW Cross Sections book? If not, I recommend it because the interior could be as accurate as the rest! :classic:

JD: No I don't have the cross sections book (good tip tho' :thumbup:), but I used some schematics from Wookiepedia for reference. Alas, the landing gear protrudes into the interior a little when folded which prevented me putting in any more chairs - there are I think nine?? in the real thing.

Oh my! How...delicious! :tongue:

I think my favorite parts are the wing connections and cockpit. Great MOC! It seems like a real Lego set and the landing gear is awesome!

This is a very nice and playable version. Much nicer than the 2 official versions. I love the cockpit for two persons and the boarding ramp under the cockpit. If this would be produced it would indeed be affordable. Great work.

Very nice MOC. Lots of detail and so realistic. Seeing this is what you came up with then I say you don't need the two official versions and haven't really missed out on anything.

I need to go back and check but I thought the pilot in these things have the imperial officer uniform rather than TIE pilot outfit.

Thanks for sharing.

A really great Lambda Shuttle moc :thumbup: ,

I especially like your cockpit design with that new city window.

the Inventor

Frikkin amazing. I love all the little details, and how it overcomes all the shortcomings of the previous versions. The cockpit is sublime. I'd just love to see this build along with Falcon, rebel fighters, Endor troopers etc in a sort of Home One hangar diorama.

This is really nice. I can see the influence of 8019 on this, but you improved on that ship a lot. I particularly like the two seat cockpit :wub: Great job!

Thanks everyone! :classic:

@Strand: I was planning to a Home One hangar diorama; just waiting to get the Endor set. A good excuse to dig all my Rebel ships out the loft! Will keep you posted.

This is very cool, I like it alot better then the original :thumbup:

I especially like the refreshments area :laugh: , that gave me a good laugh :grin:

well done!!

CommanderFox

Impressive! This would be almost UCS scale, wouldn't it? Only one question; is the top 'fin' supposed to be gray and white?

Great shuttle, I love it. :wub:

Much better than the original and the fact that you built on just a limited supply of parts makes it even more admirable.

My only bit of criticism is that the wings need to be longer, at least as long as the main hull.

Still, I wish I had one of those.

Wow. This looks really great. :thumbup:

I agree with Commander Rob. I too wish I had one of those. :grin:

Edited by Richie

Impressive! This would be almost UCS scale, wouldn't it? Only one question; is the top 'fin' supposed to be gray and white?

It's not UCS compared to Baronsat's or Cavegod's versions. However, if TLC produced something similar I'm sure they'd label it UCS. Top fin: No, I'm sure it isn't! Just a question of parts: I didn't want to have to order lots of parts or to raid too many SW sets, so I used what was to hand.

Great shuttle, I love it. :wub:

Much better than the original and the fact that you built on just a limited supply of parts makes it even more admirable.

My only bit of criticism is that the wings need to be longer, at least as long as the main hull.

Still, I wish I had one of those.

You're probably right. I used this picture for reference; the wings aren't quite as long as the hull, but probably longer than mine.

MGelevation2.jpg

@Mods: sorry if this pic is too big; I don't know how to do external links. Feel free to fix!