def

Review C001 LEGO Star Wars Clock

Would you buy this?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

indexed.gif

As it turns out, the Reviewer's Academy birthday coincides with my birthday. A day's difference, but let's not quibble :laugh: So, my wife wanted to get some small set for me. The trouble is, she has no idea what I have and don't have, or what I'd want and not want. So, she went outside the box and got me this. Thanks hon! :wink:

Set#: C001

Name: LEGO Star Wars Clock

Theme: Star Wars

Year: 2008

Pieces: 21

Minifigs: Chewbacca, Stormtrooper

Price: birthday present, it'd be rude to ask

MSP: U.S.$29.99, £19.95

Brickset

Bricklink!

No Peeron!

c001-1.jpg

Wake up with LEGO' Star Wars !

Stay on schedule with the LEGO Star Wars alarm clock, featuring Japanese Quartz movement, a crescendo alarm, two authentic Star Wars minifigures, and a buildable blaster turret on top. A great gift for a LEGO or Star Wars fan'¦or just a late sleeper! Includes Chewbacca and Stormtrooper minifigures!

The box

The package is quite nice. TLG generally doesn't show the pieces through the box, but this isn't TLG :oh3: Inspecting the box, although it's real Lego pieces, the manufacturer is a Chinese company called Clic Time. I realize TLG is not a clock company, but I would have much preferred the opposite, that Lego was the manufacturer, and they were licensing another company's clock technology. Anyway, on the bottom of the box it says to save the Clic Time address for future reference.

img_2737.jpg

img_2739.jpg

The booklet

I quite like this pic, the same as that on the clock face. Chewbacca savagely ripping off a stormtrooper's arm, as he prepares to beat the poor guy with it. It's Lego, but if that was live action, it would be rated "R"

img_2742.jpg

This side gets a fail from me. Though you can't see it in the pic, the image is pixelated, meaning the Chinese company either took the wrong image file, or the lowered the resolution before printing. So, the image of the instructions is not clear. It's very unprofessional. To add to that, there is no traditional figure instructions, plus the figure in the final pic is a clone, not a stormtrooper. Booooo!

img_2743.jpg

The Pieces

The pieces are actually quite nice, for a 21 piece set. White and burgundy. I can imagine that this was originally intended to be a clone set.

img_2741.jpg

I have both of these already, but they're classic characters who don't appear that often, so they're quite nice. I'll add Chewie to my Hoth display.

img_2745.jpg

The Finished Product

This is how it's featured on the box, and that looks fine, but isn't functional. The alarm button is underneath the stormtrooper, so I won't be keeping it this way... Actually, I don't use an alarm, so maybe I will.

img_2746.jpg

One nice thing is that the clock is Lego friendly, top and bottom, so you could integrate it into a massive Lego structure, if the need arises.

img_2747.jpg

The functions are simple, and I got it to work easily enough.

img_2748.jpg

The Final Verdict

Design: 5/10 The brick fuction on the top and bottom is nice, but I would have been much more impressed if the clock itself was a little more Lego-ish, like a buildable casing. That would change the price and concept a lot, but it would be a lot more exciting.

Build: 2/10 This is somewhat of a disposable build. It uses SNOT techniques, and it's all interesting pieces, but I could build it by looking at it, which gets a low score.

Playability: 4/10 You could do something with this, but not much. It's much more clock than Lego.

Minifigures: 7/10 As I wrote before, these are classic figures. Chewbacca has appeared a lot less than other Star Wars characters, and everybody likes one more stormtrooper.

Price: 6/10 If you say the Lego is $10 and the clock $20, it's a thoroughly average price.

Overall: 5/10 This is a nice enough gift, but since I'm not rich, if I had the cash I'd put it elsewhere. I'm disappointed in TLG's quality control, letting another company use their name, logo and parts, without checking the end result. I think TLG could do something really interesting with a clock if they let the designers in Denmark have fun with it. But, if you don't have Chewbacca already, this set might be worth looking into.

Edited by KimT
Indexed and added BL link & poll

With that manual art's distorted figs, it almost looks like Chewy is dancing with the stormtrooper - until you see the arms being ripped off! :laugh:

Cute review! :laugh:

Happy birthday!

Great review! I think those instructions are from the Phase II Clone BP. I always wanted a clock like this but never saw one :cry_sad:

Happy Birthday! :classic:

This is great def.

Thanks for reviewing it...I've always wanted a LEGO Star Wars clock and this might get to be the one.

Perhaps you could do a YouTube video/recording of the alarm going off, just to give us an impression of what good it is?

I've added this to the index, given it a poll and added the BL link :tongue:

Cool clock, but I wouln't buy it. As you said, it would be more exciting with a brick built frame.

Nice review :thumbup:. You displayed all the goods and bads of this clock. It seems they were a bit lazy with the instructions and just copied the Clone BP section. Perhaps a good LEGO clock idea would be to make nearly the whole thing with lego. Have the mechanics made from Technic gears, axels etc. and then the casing with system bricks.

These clocks have always had a sort of appeal to me. The instructions are pretty terrible but its kinda easy to understand why they didnt change them. I like how it can be used as a normal system piece, you could do something pretty cool with it. I would prefer the minifigs to be more rare for the steep price you have to pay for it. The graphic on the clock is funny though.

Great review Def!

Thanks for review. I have this set too. I like this set, especially minifigure of Chewie. :thumbup:

Terribly sorry for dragging out a really old thread, but that's why we have a search function, right? :classic:

I saw that this clock has reappeared at S@H and I'd like to know a couple of things that I can't find anywhere:

Is it ticking loudly? I can never sleep if a clock is making too much noise. This one looks a bit clunky and plastic, but that might be just the exterior.

Also, what kind of sound is the alarm? Something real that rings or a sound chip bibibibibi? I once had an awful one that made waking up feel like getting a hit on the head. If it were Vader saying "I find your lack of getting up disturbing" I would have heard about it :wink:

Any input would be nice!

I never used it as an alarm clock, but the buzz isn't particularly loud. I have it on my mantle next to my computer, and never noticed it ticking. It's quiet all around.

I never used it as an alarm clock, but the buzz isn't particularly loud. I have it on my mantle next to my computer, and never noticed it ticking. It's quiet all around.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll get three more VIP points with my next order! :grin:

Edit: make that 50 VIP points. My brain doesn't really work today.

Edited by Skafte

First of all, great review. Second, I wouldn't mind buying a Lego alarm clock (especially Star Wars), but I'm still waiting for any information at all about these:

Edited by JRBricks

First of all, great review. Second, I wouldn't mind buying a Lego alarm clock (especially Star Wars), but I'm still waiting for any information at all about these:

Then check out Amazon.com - they're available there and have been for a while.

Darth

Stormie

Then check out Amazon.com - they're available there and have been for a while.

Darth

Stormie

Sweet! Wow, that snuck by me. Guess I would've figured my Lego store or LS@H first. Thanks!

Nice clock :grin:

Not sure if it is worth 30 buckaroos though...

Nice clock :grin:

Not sure if it is worth 30 buckaroos though...

Using my line; "I agree." :laugh: Great work on the review too. :thumbup: