Sign in to follow this  
Capn Frank

Maritime Heritage Festival

Maritime Heritage Festival

in Port Washington, WI

The Traditional Sailing Vessels that were There!

dsfromwebsite.jpg

S/V Denis Sullivan

from Milwaukee, WI

Pic links from festival:

PIC1 PIC2 PIC3 PIC4

MAJ Folder

fgwfromwebsite.jpg

Friends Good Will

from South Haven, Michigan

Pic links from festival:

PIC1 PIC2 PIC3 PIC4

MAJ Folder

mpicofapic.jpg

Madeline

from Traverse City, Michigan

Pic links from festival:

PIC1 PIC2 PIC3 PIC4

MAJ Folder

rwfromwebsite.jpg

Red Witch

from Chicago, Illinois

Pic links from festival:

PIC1 PIC2 PIC3 PIC4

MAJ Folder

My favorite ship was the Friends Good Will. It's a sloop-rigged vessel. The original vessel was built in 1810 and was used for merchant shipping. During the war of 1812, it came to an american port that had been taken by the british. The american flag was still raised at the fort and the ship went to the fort. The british took the vessel and renamed it the Little Belt.

The maritime heritage festival was recently and it was the first time i had seen traditional sailing vessels in person. I toured the Madeline, and the other three vessels went on a quick sailing tours throughout the day, but i did not want to spend $25 for a one hour boat ride. I found out the Denis Sullivan is only a half-hour drive from where I live. The Sullivan leaves for florida next month, but next summer i could volunteer to help maintain the vessel and possibly sail in it.

Phred! As a former Moderator you should know the rules and the how-to knowledge in regard to picture resizing :pir_laugh2: .

Anyhows, great pics mate!

Phred! As a former Moderator you should know the rules and the how-to knowledge in regard to picture resizing :pir_laugh2: .

Those pics were from their ships' websites. I didn't think i'd have to resize those. :imperialguard_commander1:

Those pics were from there ships' websites. I didn't think i'd have to resize those. :imperialguard_commander1:

Still very nice you did it! :thumbup:

I'm very proud to see the ship of my hometown of South Haven, the Friends Good Will! Why wasn't Brig Niagara there? I was planning my first ship MOC to be loosely based on her.

-Super

Cool :pir-classic: The gap in the fore topsail (?) of the first picture is strange/interesting, I've never seen that before. Did you also walk on one of those ships?

I'm very proud to see the ship of my hometown of South Haven, the Friends Good Will! Why wasn't Brig Niagara there? I was planning my first ship MOC to be loosely based on her.

I have no idea why the brig wasn't there, but i was happy to see the Friends Good Will there! :wub:

Cool :pir-classic: The gap in the fore topsail (?) of the first picture is strange/interesting, I've never seen that before. Did you also walk on one of those ships?

I got to go on the Madeline. Not below deck though.

Here's me steering the vessel (while it was "parked" :blush: )

102_0665.jpg