Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

MegaBloks Pyrates is better than LEGO 4+ Pirates

Mr Thing, being only 5 years old gets many toys as gifts, and since there's been this religous occassion turned commerical he's recieved even more and this time he's recieved some Mega Bloks Pyrate sets.

Mr Thing recieved...

Dread Eye's Phantom Playset

0006554103660_500X500.jpg

Santa brought and constructed this one but I gave it a thorough examination before little fingers began touching it.

3674 Pyrates Cove

3674.jpg

Since nobody else seemed to have the mental capacity or motor ability I had to construct this one. So now I have experience constructing a Mega Bloks set.

For this experience I concluded...

Mega Bloks Pyrates is similiar to 4+ LEGO Pirates in respect to the size of the pieces, in other words they're both as "<insert that tiresome argument>" as one another. However the Mega Bloks Pyrate pieces are detailed to the point where they seem more like parts from a painted model kit, rather a construction toy like LEGO. This is not a bad thing as it somewhat justifies their size and makes the sets far more interesting. Despite their more detailed appearance they are no less versatile than the pieces used in the 4+ Pirate sets.

The peripheral pieces such as plants and animals don't look anything pieces in a construction set yet they integrate and connect with various elements of set quite easily.

The quality of the peices don't seem inferior in anyway - no rough edeges and not brittle The colouring is no different to of that modern LEGO. Yes, some of the colours may seem to look a bit "milky" but I could say the same of these newer LEGO colours, like brown and bright red (well the ones found in the 4+ Catpain Redbeard's Ship).

While I don't believe Mega Blok Pyrates are anywhere in the league of LEGO SYSTEM Pirates I was still pleasantly surprised by them. They definitely stand up to the 4+ Pirates and in my opinion are better. Its a pitty LEGO hasn't the competence to outdo them.

Mister Phes is a traitor !!! The Inquasition shall be brought down !!!

Well anyways, I agree with you. 4+ sucks, plain and simple. The one thing I don't know is why it is spelled pyrate ? It is retarded !

OUCH! I hope this post reflect more your anger at 4+ than the quality of MB,otherwise Lego is in trouble.

One of the main beefs about Megabloks is that they are made of inferior plastic that does not interlock as well. If untrue, there could be issues..... :(

I did build a MB set once, and did think that the plastic was inferior. Of course, this could just be self delusion, the same way I am sure I can tell real coke from diet coke from pepsi from diet pepsi.

A disturbing post

Gyl

See, I've never understood the whole "Megabloks have inferior quality and materials" thing because I have quite a few Megabloks sets and have never had any problems with them...ever. Heaven forbid I accidentally mix any Megabloks in with my LEGOs because even to someone with a lot of experience handling both it's pretty hard to tell them apart by feel, usually I have to look for the raised LEGO on the studs to determine which is which. I can only assume Megabloks gets such a bad rep from LEGO fanaticals who have never even attempted a Megabloks set.

But back to the main issue, yeah I can see where the Pyrates are probably a little more fun for older builders then the 4+ stuff...which just isn't that fun at all. However I'm still passing on them because after Megabloks' first foray into the "Minifig" arena (Power Rangers) the novelty sort of wore off for me and I havent gotten anything aside from the Dragons that come in the little egg-canisters since. So for now it's mainly Probuilder sets for me nuts.GIF

Megablocks used to have a much inferior quality of plastic. Even if it's better now, just wait a few year and see how they connect together ;)

Ahh..Megablocks beter than LEGO...+4 of course! Well thanks for telling us Mr Phes..But I wont buy it..Neither will I buy +4's..I got Imperial trading post and armada flagship so no need for this poop!

Stand on a megablock and it feel's like chewing gum ;)

Amen to that!

I once received a MegaBloks submarine for my birthday and it was very difficult to put together: the bricks were too loose and the basics of my sub kept on falling apart. If this were REAL Lego, this wouldn't happen.

I must admit that the sets look great, but the plastic they use is garbage. I just hope Lego never loses their quaility in an effort to reduce mnfct. costs.

Megablocks used to have a much inferior quality of plastic. Even if it's better now, just wait a few year and see how they connect together  ;)

In a few years time I won't see it...

I must admit that the sets look great, but the plastic they use is garbage.  I just hope Lego never loses their quaility in an effort to reduce mnfct. costs.
Stand on a megablock and it feel's like chewing gum  ;)
I once received a MegaBloks submarine for my birthday and it was very difficult to put together: the bricks were too loose and the basics of my sub kept on falling apart. If this were REAL Lego, this wouldn't happen.

I had difficulties putting the 4+ Red Beard's Ship together because the pieces wouldn't bind well with one another. Then again 4+ Pirates isn't REAL LEGO. :D

But what is wrong with the plastic in the MegaBloks Pyrate sets? It seems fine to me. Does anyone else posess any of these sets or are you all judging them by past MegaBlok sets?

See, I've never understood the whole "Megabloks have inferior quality and materials" thing because I have quite a few Megabloks sets and have never had any problems with them...ever.

It was mainly the really early stuff, the 1997-98 vintage MB stuff that had...spotty quality control. Which is to say, the plast ic was pretty darn bad.

Its improved in leaps and bounds since then.

Akkh

But what is wrong with the plastic in the MegaBloks Pyrate sets?  It seems fine to me.  Does anyone else posess any of these sets or are you all judging them by past MegaBlok sets?

I've built a few of the smaller castle/dragon sets (just recently). The plastic is bad- not much different than I remember. It will not last, and the pieces will wear down over time (it seems to be just a softer material). In addition, some of the pieces are very brittle when attaching (esp. plates), and more difficult to take apart. A while back, I thought the dragons were pretty good, until you take them apart a few times. The pieces wear out and won't stay together. Also, the build is so different than building with Lego. You can definately tell the difference. It's just a lower quality brick. These were all sets released this year.

The MB scenery is leading the way (not that I have any) but I was scared off by the inferior plastic as a child. They seem to have fixed this now so look out lego...

God Bless,

Nathan

Yes, look out LEGO indeed!

I've noticed that all these other imitation LEGO brands have a pirate theme... But does the archetype have one anymore? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Unless you count that 4+ abomination.