WesternOutlaw

Green or Grey?

Which color do you prefer?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Green or Grey

• Green
    • Grey

greengrey.jpg

Lego roadplates have been around a long time. From the old light grey with dark green borders, to green with yellow stripes, then to dark grey. Will Lego ever decide on a permanent color or style? Probably not, but we certainly have our favorites that we like using in our towns and cities.

That brings me to my question. As there have been a lot of different styles and shades, two predominant colors stand out. They include GREEN and GREY. Yes, greys have varied, as greens have as well, but when building your Tabletowns, what do you prefer?

Is it the grey City streets of a modular town?

Or perhaps the greener and brighter country road?

All things considered, choose your favorite roadplate color, GREEN vs. GREY.

I don't have any *actual* roadplates, all I have is a dark bley Ferrari pitstop plate. :cry_sad:

However, I like the dark bley plates the best. They look more like street.

As a City MOCs lover I must say I prefer the new grey ones. :classic:

In my opinion TLC has really improved the model from those old roadplates with the green borders, doing it more "urban" and not so little town style. It's a pity they're so extremely hard to find in Spain... :sad:

I have a lot of the old light grey roadplates that I use when building Classic Town, but I really like the color that green roadplates add (4108-4111) from 2002. They look very nice with lots of trees, really giving the town a clean and colorful look.

tt4-2.jpg

I have no baseplates what so ever but I do like the design of the green ones better. They're good for making grass around a bend (like in TheBrickster's pic)

I don't own any, but I voted grey, because I think they make more sense when building a town. Green is great for parks or country roads (take me home...)

This poll is a little confusing. There have been at least four distinct types of road plates over the years, gray/gray pavement/road, green/gray, green/dark gray and dark gray/dark gray.

I like the look of the current dark gray plates the best, but I use the first two types in my city layout because many sets included various special baseplates in those colors, which have no counterparts in the newer style. Some examples are the plates in 6391, 6395 and 6571.

I can't decide, so I won't vote this time. The green ones certainly look much more colorful, but the new dark bley ones are much more realistic for urban scenes. No doubt it's green for country-sides. Given all the variation we've had so far, I would certainly like TLG to stick with the current ones no and expand on them with specialized, compatible base plates like in the 80s and 90s.

I like the 2002 ones the best. They are very useful I think. In a city they can be less realistic. I will solve this problem with adding tiles. I agree with Rick, maybe some additional baseplates that fit with the current ones.

I like the green ones better. They can act as grass alongside the street and if you don't want grass in your city you can always cover the green with plates. I have very little grey but quite some green plates from the old days - the ones with the with markings.

Benny

Old grey 7-stud plates for me. The green ones have their uses, like runways or lined with green-based houses, but for a downtown area, I like grey.

I prefer the original road plates from late 70's and early 80's, 300-1/551-1, 301-1/552-1, 302-1/553-1, 302-2 and 6304-1.

Sometimes I use the 6312-1 for marking parking zones on the streets.

I prefer grey road plates, to be more precise the new dark bley ones, as they tend to fit in better with a modern town. The green road plates look silly with tall skyscrapers, while the dark bley plates give a nice futuristic look to a town.

I like the green road plates as in 4108.

a) Six wide is necessary in my opinion

b) The line colours match those used on Irish roads (white centre line, yellow verge)

c) The only other six wide roads are the dark grey plates - these have all-white lines that look pretty plain and ugly IMO.

my road baseplates(i only have 4 streights :cry_sad: ) have 6-wide green edges and old-dark grey road.

im gonna buy a corner in this style for my town,

It all depends on what I need them for. I find grey plates look much better in a city, but when you leave the city, it's green all the way. Tiling a grey turn green doesn't look very good and having to cover up green is time consuming as well. So I'm not going to vote because I like both in their own way.

it has to be the grey plates!! in fact i much prefer the grey plates with roads from the 80s. the pavements were wider. now the pavements are narrower. maybe it is to widen the roads to suit the construction sets.

I prefer green base plates because they have a nice natural eco-friendly town look/feel

Grey are very nice too for creating an urban feeling

I don't think Lego has made any sets with them recently and it would be nice to see a return of baseplates

As we mostly see smaller ones which are popular because of the "modular" style where you can re-arrange things in different ways and are not limited to them standing on a single plate in a single place

:classic:

I can't decide, so I won't vote this time. The green ones certainly look much more colorful, but the new dark bley ones are much more realistic for urban scenes. No doubt it's green for country-sides.

I strongly second this.

I also cannot decide which color I shall give my vote to.

I´d prefer dark bley to have a street for the modular buildings. The city is a lot more compact here, green would look out of place.

Green ones I prefer for "classic" town and country sides.

One fact though:

The combination of rodeplates. :hmpf:

I can only buy straight streets in combination with a crossroad plates?

And curves just in combination with T-crossings?

How stupid is this? :hmpf_bad:

I need a lot more straights and curves than I need crossings...

(Yeah, I know - and TLG needs a lot more money...)

I voted Grey because I use the sidewalk system introduced to me by the guys from SEALUG: 7-wide, two plates high sidewalks that allow for sewers and more features built into the streetscape.

sewer_and_sidewalk.jpg_thumb.jpg corner.jpg_thumb.jpg

So mostly for me there is no real point to green and it introduces unnecessary cost into the production. I will admit however that greens can be useful for suburban/rural roads.

I'm using the 16x32 darkgrey baseplates as an old city road in my old city center. Looks nice and saves money...

One fact though:

The combination of rodeplates. :hmpf:

I can only buy straight streets in combination with a crossroad plates?

And curves just in combination with T-crossings?

How stupid is this? :hmpf_bad:

I need a lot more straights and curves than I need crossings...

(Yeah, I know - and TLG needs a lot more money...)

I completely agree! I don't have any road plates just because I can't find a way to get the types of plates I need! TLC definitely needs to add more options for the road plates available and maybe a few sets that include them or just a huge package of them. No matter how many firehouses, police stations, and hospitals TLC releases we still need roads for them, :tongue: and not a bunch of crossings :hmpf:

As for the poll I like both! I have 3 city sections in my town and a small country town area and like others have said before it depends on the type of town you're placing them in.