WesternOutlaw

Market Street: Worth Getting?

Market Street Addition to Modular Collection  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Did you add Market Street to your modular City collection?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How would you rate the overall quality of Market Street compared to Cafe Corner & Green Grocer?

• 1- Poor
    • 2- Below Average
    • 3- Average
    • 4- Above Average
    • 5- Outstanding!

I finally picked up Cafe Corner recently and in the process of building. What an awesome set! The set is so nice (so far), that I plan to buy Green Grocer and Fire Brigade (when available). The unfortunate thing (perhaps), is that I missed out on Market Street which is no longer available from LSAH US.

As this is a Factory set; however, I was wondering:

For those of you collecting the modular City sets, did you buy Market Street to add to your collection?

If so, how well does Market Street work with Cafe Corner and Green Grocer?

I've already done some research about the set, but curious from those of you collecting the modulars.

Market Street looks ok, but the courtyard might look a bit wierd in some layouts.

I also missed out on it, but I'm pretty sure you can still get it at some stores, I saw it at a toy store a couple weeks sgo.

So it's not an exclusive?

Edited by Admiral M

There's a lot of ambivalence towards Market Street, but I like it a lot. It's an amazing parts pack, with lots of small pieces in great colours, which is handy if you're building your own modular street, and the parts also offer more flexibility than the more standard assortments in sets like the Creator houses. It contains a lot of basic bricks in unusual colours as well as the older-style (and more solid) door and window pieces. In Australia, it's also pretty good value for the price, which makes it even more attractive. In some ways it is the most versatile of the series as the floors can be swapped around a lot more flexibly. I also love the little balcony with view of the street, chair and flowerpot on the top floor.

However, I don't know if it fits the modular street for a few reasons:

- the bold blue colour scheme is probably too bright to really go well with the more muted tones of Cafe Corner and Green Grocer. I especially can't see it next to the Fire Brigade set, as it seems too disparate in architectural styles.

- the shape is odd compared to the other sets. While I would like to have a smaller building to round off the modular street, having one tall skinny multistoried building next to an elaborate gate doesn't quite work

If you want to include it on the modular street, I'd actually recommend rearranging the layout as demonstrated on the Factory website:

Or, buy 2 Market Streets, alter the gate side, and stagger the floors like this and stick it on the end of the strip:

I'd say go fir it, it is a really neat set and much better in person than what you think it will be from the boxart. Still, it depends, I loved it for the parts, though I stand by my statement that it is a great set by itself.

To the Brickmobile! :devil:

I got it as soon as it came out and I still like it. While it is not as detailed as the other 3 it was also less expensive. The style may not go together as well as the others but I think the blue works well. Like Svelte said the gate part looks odd wherever you put it so I modified my to fit better. It's also nice to have the entire line as a collection too.

To me it is as great as the others. If you have the chance, get it... Concerning the gate, in my layout, it goes last in the street, beside a park with a market fair which includes medieval market village... and it looks GREAT!!!!

Interesting topic TheBrickster. :thumbup:

I can't exactly comment on the building style, because I haven't started my building for all modular buildings including the Market Street. However, when I first bought Market Street in 2007, it was bought together with Cafe Corner. At that point in time, I didn't know Market Street in terms of Factory theme isn't directly under the Modular houses series. Then again, I viewed the Market Street as part of the entire street series and it matched nicely beside each other even though there is a difference in height. It's like those mini-grocery store, at your typical neighbourhood, whereas Green Grocer is the mega version of grocery shopping.

From what I believe, I prefer all "4" modular buildings to be lined up together to form a very magnificent street, with these official releases. I am not a good moc builder, so these sets will serve great residential estates in my tabletop in the future. In fact, all town or city collectors usually have these modular buildings. It's only a matter of how many buildings they have.

For me, I said go for it, if you are able to get it at an affordable price, otherwise give it a miss. I don't want you to pay a hefty price for it. :wink:

Go ahead and get it. It's a good set but it doesn't stack up to the quality of CC or GG IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's still a wonderful set :classic:

Well I got myself a copy for 151€ of Ebay.de yesterday, a bit expensive but I just wanted to have it because I like the looks of it. I think it'll fit in well in my city to come, maybe alongside CC, GG and the fire brigade or maybe somewhere else :classic:

I'd say go for it!

Benny

I did add it to my collection, and in fact, I love it. I think it's a great building. Though I agree with the thoughts on the courtyard, and thus do not include mine in the modular spread I have set up. I say if you manage to find one you should certainly go for it. I found mine at deep discount in a LEGO store last summer.

As others have said MS is less detailed, but cheaper. The architechture is clearly Dutch (it was designed by a guy from the Netherlands if I remember correctly), so may or may not fit with your chosen style. It is a good source of light and dark blue bricks. The stairs are an interesting building technique.

I would have bought one, but found some on sale here in Australia, so I bought two.

BTW A lot of S@H exclusives get sold off in Australia at the end of their run. I'd suggest this is what is happening now, as it is turning up in our shops. If you want Market St, now is probably the time to buy it before it is no longer widely available and the price rises.

Peter

I also bought it, even though its color scheme is very bright next to CC. But I want the complete layout, so it just has to be part of it :classic:

However, I don't know if it fits the modular street for a few reasons:

- the bold blue colour scheme is probably too bright to really go well with the more muted tones of Cafe Corner and Green Grocer. I especially can't see it next to the Fire Brigade set, as it seems too disparate in architectural styles.

- the shape is odd compared to the other sets. While I would like to have a smaller building to round off the modular street, having one tall skinny multistoried building next to an elaborate gate doesn't quite work

I had the same reservations - especially about the blue - before I bought my copy of S@H (already quite some time ago now, before GG was even released), but I haven't regretted buying it even one second. As pointed out before, the design is clearly 'Lowlandic' (Dutch/Belgian), maybe that's what makes the facade somewhat more attractive to me. I actually like the default setup as it tends to break up the rows of houses with a little (covered) alley, which is quite realistic I think.

I would buy it. I love the style of the building, the look and the design. I like blue! However, I was too late to buy it at 89.99 euro. I seriously thought is was going to lower in price, but now the least expensive one costs around 120 euro. :hmpf: I have the Café Corner, I bought it when it came out, but I hope to get my hands an all the modular houses.

Market Street: Worth Getting?

Of course ! ! !

For me the only lego set better than Market Street is Cafe Corner.

Definately a worthy acquisition. It loks great next to GG which looks great next to CC. The courtyard is a great platform for MODing (pun intended). The "double set" mentioned above is a great idea and looks fantastic, even in a thumb nail image...how come I never thought of it?!?!

When I purchased mine it was listed on S@H USA as "call for availability." When I called, I was told it was the very last copy they had. Now, where am I gonna find another one?!?!

Yes to the question if it fits next to the other buildings.

But I wouldn't worry if you can't get your hands on it. There are enough examples for you to build your own version.

I do have it btw, and find it even better then the cafe corner. I like the way you can play with the modules, turn the top one the other way around. All the small details would rate it for me between the cafe corner and the green grocer, where I think the green grocer is the best of these three.

I wouldn't add the fire building btw. I am working towards a modern town, I do not think the fire building fits in that, maybe only to build in some appartments but well ....

I added the MS to my GG and CC.

It adds colour to the whole set because of the veggies and fruits. on the whole i think it is better than the Cafe Corner which does not have any interior details.

This is a must have set TheBrickster! Fortunately I got mine a few months before it retired from S@H and paid regular price for it.

Several others in our LUG have the same set, and I wanted something a little different that would set it apart from the others in case of duplicate buildings. With a modest PAB order I was able to change the configuration slightly, add another module, and give it a more North American feel to it... yet still leaving it similar to the original for attendee's of the shows that would recognize the elements of the official set. The colour scheme definitely adds some life and diversity to a City layout. Because the interiors are unfinished, it gives you the option of completing them with your own creative input (and money)... or not. I liked this feature, since I did not complete the interior... and I wasn't paying for details that would never be seen by the general public. The individual floors on my building are no longer modular for ease of transportation between displays and storage. The roof on the 3rd floor apartment is removable so that street details and minifigs can be stored easily inside for storage.

3704346974_7b0b6b7904_m.jpg3703539293_b2165fdb57_m.jpg3704348474_c4bc1c8158_m.jpg

Click the pics to view the full set in my Flickr account.

Several others in our LUG have the same set, and I wanted something a little different that would set it apart from the others in case of duplicate buildings. With a modest PAB order I was able to change the configuration slightly, add another module, and give it a more North American feel to it... yet still leaving it similar to the original for attendee's of the shows that would recognize the elements of the official set. ....-cut-..... The individual floors on my building are no longer modular for ease of transportation between displays and storage. The roof on the 3rd floor apartment is removable so that street details and minifigs can be stored easily inside for storage.

Very nice additions, I do like the extra module. I hope it makes the market a bit more stable with that module then the original. I also like what you did with the top apartment. However, I do miss the stair looking top of the building. Coming form Holland, that building style is very similar to a lot of houses in Amsterdam, so I would never change that :wink:

Edited by aawsum

We recently had a 2nd toy convention here in Singapore, and Lego was so kind as to bring in all the latest exclusives, including the Fire Brigade and lots of Market Streets! The boxes were on the shelves side-by-side, and looked pretty awesome actually (the buildings, not the boxes). I'd say GO FOR IT. Granted, it is a 'Factory' product, but it is still a modular set nonetheless.

By the way, LEGO collectors in Singapore were having a field day for the whole three days of the convention - I believe we are the first in the world to have the FB released out on shelves - and the mountains of Market Streets as well. :tongue:

Well done, LEGO Singapore! :thumbup:

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions regarding the compatibility of Market Street w/ the other modular sets. I finished building Cafe Corner last night (after about 7.5 combined hours), and absolutely love the model. I think it's the largest set that I have built, and really enjoyed building each floor. The exterior details are truly superb.

Based on everyones' feedback, I'm going to see how much Market Street will cost me on the 2nd hand market, and if it's not too bad, may end up buying.

I agree that the architecture is a bid different, but even with the brighter color, it may look okay. I'm also going to look at a few pictures of the combined sets to see how they integrate with one another.

Im plannig on getting Cafe Corner and Green Grocer because of the removal of Market Street, but as a idea i think there should be a new building called city hall or library.