Skipper 24

Ninjas returning with LEGO Universe?

Now on the LEGO Universe site we have a fancy splash screen with various LEGO characters. One of them is a ninja, a very evil looking one at that. But they do have a new torso. Perhaps we will see the return of the ninjas theme?

Also a new shield can be sighted and various other new torso's etc.

Just something to ponder upon.

The site

Edited by Skipper 24

I doubt we'll see in sets because they do these things al the time. Look at that guy's sword. No way TLG would make that. I just hope this is free or cheap.

Although it would be nice to see the ninjas return I highly doubt that Lego will release them any time soon.

If you know the Lego Star Wars games you know that not all the figures are real Lego figures, therefore I don't think Lego will make them.

But we can always hope they come back. :classic:

That blond hair piece of the knight looks like Anakins hairpiece of Star Wars the clone wars in a different color.

the Inventor

One can only hope. Even if it is a single year return I would certainly get some especially if the torso prints look that nice.

No new Ninja sets in 2010, but some great parts from the Prince of Persia line that will definitely bolster the Ninja collector's collection.

The Ninja headpiece does appear in 7195 Ambush in Cairo, but it's still unlikely they'll remake the theme. All of the other minifigs in the picture have new prints, and I don't think we'll get any of them.

One can only hope. Even if it is a single year return I would certainly get some especially if the torso prints look that nice.

I agreed. I do hope it's a sign, but it's not really possible, since these are digitally made instead of realistic ones. They tend to differ from one another like those in LEGO video games where you see sudden new insert or appearance of new characters.

This is a nice idea, Skipper 24, but like it was already mentioned I don't see it happen!

The reasons are:

1. Universe is only a computer game. There are that many minifigs, accessory and buildings virtually constructed which never will make it into real Lego sets.

2. When you look at the Vintage Minifigure Collections Volume 2-4 you can see that TLG brought back three classic characters for which they had to dig up old molds for the head-gears: Ninja, Forestman and US Western Captain. So there could be theoretically all three themes brought back. But I fear that they won't bring back one of them. If though I bet (and hope) it'll be Western - or perhaps some kind of Forestmen - but I can't imagine that it'll be Ninja since I think that Ninja is the one theme of these three with which today's kids (apart from the ones living in Asia) can associate fewest.

Klaus-Dieter

...I can't imagine that it'll be Ninja since I think that Ninja is the one theme of these three with which today's kids... can associate fewest.

I don't think so, Klaus... ninja are renown worldwide and easily carry as much cool-factor as pirates and we see many takes on them appearing all over the place in games, movies and comics. Ninja definately sell!

However I don't think this is necessarily a sign of the license's return. The LEGO Universe developers will promote the game by showing the cool characters available while showcasing their customisability. Case in point: they used a Ninja!

I don't think so, Klaus... ninja are renown worldwide and easily carry as much cool-factor as pirates and we see many takes on them appearing all over the place in games, movies and comics. Ninja definately sell!

Well! I didn't think about that, pedro. But you're right: Manga and things like that seem to be popular amongst older kids.

Nevertheless I think that Western is more popular - perhaps even as popular as Pirates -, don't you think?

(I know this is all more speculation since it 's a long time since I was a kid and so many things hve changed which I partly do not notice.)

Klaus-Dieter

I think a future Ninja theme is definitely possible, but don't believe we can expect anything from the Universe artwork. Most of the characters and buildings I've seen appear to be created for the game.

If the Universe game is successful, I wonder if there would be a chance of getting a theme based on it?

Nevertheless I think that Western is more popular - perhaps even as popular as Pirates -, don't you think?

It think Western themed LEGO will always have a place in the heart of many a collector and AFOL; personally I don't own any Western LEGO but I love Sergio Leone movies! I just think that nowadays ninja (and by proxy samurai, martial arts) and pirate themes in general reoccur often amongst mainstream entertainment aimed at children and family - 2 big names that immediately come to mind are the immensly popular Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Pirates of the Caribbean. Although Western inspired themes have been touched on in the past, I don't think they're nearly as mainstream as the aforementioned.

...but then I can't really second guess what LEGO will be up to next. They could bring the Western theme back, and in glorious style as they did with Pirates! I wouldn't complain! :wink:

If the Universe game is successful, I wonder if there would be a chance of getting a theme based on it?

Or even exclusive minifigs or sets bundled with the game? There's food for though :classic:

Well! I didn't think about that, pedro. But you're right: Manga and things like that seem to be popular amongst older kids.

(I know this is all more speculation since it 's a long time since I was a kid and so many things hve changed which I partly do not notice.)

Klaus-Dieter

Nope, Ninja is much more popular than WW.

Guys,

Let's not deviate too much away from this discussion, as this agenda is not supposed to compare and contrast popularity among past themes. Next, I also respect Wild West and others themes, but I don't want to change this discussion into something else.

Although I love Ninja and will love to see it come back, but it's just not possible with video games churning out as products. There are much more details and consideration beyond just plain video graphical design.

Thanks.

I hope we'll be seeing products from the game. Maybe have sets that include codes for unlockables, etc.

Heck, if we could have just one thing from this poster, I'd be happy. :wub:

3837595818_885c88c2f6_o.jpg

Nope, Ninja is much more popular than WW.

I gotta agree. I can get my kid to sit through a Bruce Lee flick,but not John Wayne. (i Love the Duke BtW)

Ninjas invoke mystery, and suspense. Martial mayhem at its best. Cowboys, not so much. I have had a few of the Western sets, and they were great. But if The powers that be revive one of them, consider the last time you saw kids playing cowboy & Indians, vs. Martial arts and ninjas.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but has anyone posted this?

3911689905_a741331641.jpg

This is pretty convincing. Straight from Denmark.

Credit to Kenneth on Flickr for the photo.

Edited by WisrthanU

Interesting idea :oh:

Lets say one day LEGO has no licensed themes, they actually have nothing but original themes again :cry_happy::tongue:

We have awesome space once again. There is Pirates and Castle. A decent underwater theme.

I think then a ninja or oriental theme would be very cool.

Before that, I hope it will happen :wink:

Edited by Macoco

I hope we'll be seeing products from the game. Maybe have sets that include codes for unlockables, etc.

Heck, if we could have just one thing from this poster, I'd be happy. :wub:

3837595818_885c88c2f6_o.jpg

We already have the dragon. :tongue:

OT: I am not really sure if the ninjas will return because of LU.

The chances are pretty small that we will get products based on the game, but it would be really cool! :sweet:

Very interesting piece! If it is designed for Ninja, we would also need a new cowl though because the current one won't fit with this new holder.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but has anyone posted this?

This is pretty convincing. Straight from Denmark.

Credit to Kenneth on Flickr for the photo.

Is that a real Lego piece? I hope so!

Could you link Kenneth's photo stream?

I can't seem to find it in 5,608 people..

As awesome as it would be if we had a new futuristic ninja theme (like the recent Ninja Gaiden games), it seems pretty unlikely. The designs in that promotional art are pretty far out for actual LEGO pieces, and most of new pieces presented in the LEGO video games either never gets produced, or are significantly changed before they find their way into an official set. As far as I can tell, the artists that design the characters for the games and the product developers that mold the pieces are not related at all. I could be wrong, though.