Sign in to follow this  
ZeeK

REVIEW: 6941 Battrax

Set number: 6941

Theme: Space - Blacktron I

Year released: 1987 (though catalogs have it for 1988)

Name: Battrax (different names for various markets)

MSRP: uknown, UK catalog indicates "about 18 GBP"

6941 at peeron.com

6941 at bricklink.com

6941 at brickset.com

Due to the age of the set, the box is missing and the instruction booklet has completely worn off.

I wouldn't like to repeat the building instructions here - it can be easily found at BrickFactory. Just a few notes regarding the parts:

- no big elements - most of them is less than 10 studs long

- almost no special elements

The building process takes no longer than 20 minutes. After it is complete you have the Blacktron's multipurpose multi-functional vehicle in nice black-and-yellow color scheme.

fb8a31bd7816.jpg

The side view hides the wingspan, making it look smaller

835785344c13.jpg

The set has only one minifigure - a very nice looking old school Blacktron I. Though it's more than 20 years old, it's still very cool - thank to the black suit and nice picture on the torso

c0c7a56b16e9.jpg

Check out the solid stud on the head!

The key feature of any manned vehicle - the possibility to put the figure inside. The canopy consisting of two parts makes the task very easy.

e400999095e6.jpg

Current vehicles require the canopy to be removed :(

The exciting modular structure of LEGO space sets. Four modules are combined here

462e97906f7d.jpg

Let's take a closer look at the wheeled base of the vehicle

064cf67bf19b.jpg

The front and back parts are connected with 4 studs technic axle. The rubber hoses act as self-centering mechanism - awesome!

749a124df75f.jpg

And they have technic-style connectors for other modules to be attached in a jiffy

2b7c26a65eb6.jpg

Check out the rear "suspension" made with round 1*1 brick

fb0936a0cb1e.jpg

Both sides have storage compartments. The vehicle is equipped with most useful space tools like mallet and spanner :)

d55901276ccc.jpg

The cockpit has been detached, the rear module attached.

3a5686bf480a.jpg

The wheeled base surrounded by detachable modules

63b432ca646f.jpg

These can be connected to each other...

92e455f6db60.jpg

...to form a small space ship

5dd5c8333537.jpg

The small "fighter" has variable geometry of the wings. As usual - it has straight wing for take-off and the other shape for high speed flight.

119dfc8d6016.jpg

And who cares about the shape in space - there's no air there! :)

The instructions also shows this module to be a tiny space ship

8d9a955d4bb5.jpg

Too small? May be. Anyway, it's bigger than SP-III flying chair of 8400

Overall - one of my favorite sets. Cool minifig and nice features of the vehicle.

Nice review, I really like this set, as most Blacktron 1 sets.

But why coudn't Lego made the cockpit a two seater :hmpf: , I know this is easily repaired but I rather had Lego do it from the start.

the Inventor

Great review! I had no idea it was a modular set. Does it work with any other modular space sets, if you have any?

what do you mean by 2 seater? one fig on each side or one in front of the other?

great review for an awesome set, tlc doesn't make them like that anymore. not that I'm at all upset I mean m-tron, futuron, and many other old sets not related to space (Imo) stunk, But blacktron was always good. (cept b-tron 2s unfortunate jumpsuits.)

Well, I mean that you can't fit two minifigs in front of each other, inside the cockpit.

That is because two of these 3622.png bricks, therefore you can't fit a minifig because his arms don't have a place to go.

5dd5c8333537.jpg

But if you replace them with two of this 4865.png, you can fit a minifig in front of the other.

the Inventor

Thanks for such a good review, of a great set. I'm not much of a space fan but I really like Blacktron I as a theme is just seems so well thought out.

Many thanks to everyone for the comments.

I had no idea it was a modular set. Does it work with any other modular space sets, if you have any?
Actually I do have other Blacktrone I sets: 6894 and 6876.

Though I can't be 100% sure (looks like the 6894 Invader is stored in one of the boxes), it is possible to combine the modules.

As soon as I find the Invader, I'll try different combinations and take some pictures. I think that the most unusual will be the connecton of two front modules - it will look like famous Russian WWII aircraft IL-2 having two cabins: the pilot in the front (whatever is front), the gunner in the back.

Nice review. This model has some quite unique ideas like the V8 engine (I think that's what the thing in the back is) and tool compartments, but at the same time I think it had room for improvement, especially the cockpit. The rear facing guns also look a little odd. I made various small changes to mine to fix these things.

Though I can't be 100% sure (looks like the 6894 Invader is stored in one of the boxes), it is possible to combine the modules.

As soon as I find the Invader, I'll try different combinations and take some pictures. I think that the most unusual will be the connecton of two front modules - it will look like famous Russian WWII aircraft IL-2 having two cabins: the pilot in the front (whatever is front), the gunner in the back.

You can combine various modules from 6894, 6941 and 6954, which were the three original BT sets. The 6941 cockpit can attach to either of the other two. This "mix and match" feature is actually advertised on some of the boxes and manuals.

Awesome review :grin:

Nostalgic :tongue:

Technic "bending part" lookin' good :classic:

Кстати, что-то я его на РФФЛ не замечал :wink:

Edited by RaZeR

All those black and yellow bricks sure bring me back.

I have a few blacktron sets from back in the day.

I like how you show all the different configurations.