Sign in to follow this  
Front

Bionicle characters, photo portraits

I would like to show some pictures of different Bionicle sets caught up close, showing of the masks. I will only add a few pictures each day, and not everyday.

Please consider this thread as a picture tribute to the Bionicle sets.

Comments on the sets shown would be highly appreciated. It could be discussions on the released sets of that half-year, new parts that were really cool or really bad, or just comments on the characters relation to the Bionicle universe.

1:

8923, Hydraxon.

2007, 2nd, Titan set.

Hydraxon

3820760189_9e8817b45f_o.jpg

2:

8987, Kiina

2009, 2nd, Canister set.

Kiina

3821567448_c7c20b7588_o.jpg

3:

8589, Rahkshi Lerahk

2003, 2nd, Canister set

Rahkshi Lerahk

3821569534_4d7f5f0553_o.jpg

I will be back

Front

The Rahkshi had really nice faces.

Some of the best.

I also set them in high regard since they introduced knees.

Also all these pics and reviews making me want Kiina even more grah.

The Rahkshi had really nice faces.

They are really nice. I think it was the first Bionicle sets I saw, when I was introduced to the theme three years ago.

Some of the best.

I also set them in high regard since they introduced knees.

Good point which I haven't noticed. They were the first sets to include legs with two links.

Those are really nice photos Front, and they show how well you keep your sets in prime condition as well. :thumbup:

Those are really nice photos Front, and they show how well you keep your sets in prime condition as well. :thumbup:

The Rahkshi has been on display for quite some time, and I can tell you he was really dusty and dirty, 20 minutes before me photographing him.

I clean Bionicle sets by showering them in hand-warm water (not hot), giving them a work over with the kind of big brush used to wash cars. I dry the set by putting it in my hand, legs and arms folded in, and then shaking him violently, so that most of the water flies off (kind of making repeated throwing movement with my arm downwards). Then I just wait for it to dry completely.

I don't really keep my Lego clean :classic: But I will fix it before I start photographing.

LEGO really put in a lot of detail. Every set has a unique mask that really looks great.

-ZotS

Of the three masks shown here, I think Kiina has the nicest one, regarding finish. It has a rough but even surface, compared to the kind of shiny but bumpy surface of Hydraxon. Rahkshi's mask has sharp edges, and the mould surface must have a nice finish, because the resulting plastic is very even and smooth.

I think that Rahkshi's mask has the most clean design expression of the three. And it looks like some kind of reptile head, maybe a snake or something. But I like all these three masks.

Front

Thanks for the tips on cleaning, but I also meant that you don't have any scratches on the pieces, whereas a lot of my parts do. :laugh:

I also noticed the Titan Mata Nui box in the background. Is that a teaser for something, or just a nice background? Either way it makes the pictures look better anyway.

The Rahkshi has been on display for quite some time, and I can tell you he was really dusty and dirty, 20 minutes before me photographing him.

I clean Bionicle sets by showering them in hand-warm water (not hot), giving them a work over with the kind of big brush used to wash cars. I dry the set by putting it in my hand, legs and arms folded in, and then shaking him violently, so that most of the water flies off (kind of making repeated throwing movement with my arm downwards). Then I just wait for it to dry completely.

I don't really keep my Lego clean :classic: But I will fix it before I start photographing.

Of the three masks shown here, I think Kiina has the nicest one, regarding finish. It has a rough but even surface, compared to the kind of shiny but bumpy surface of Hydraxon. Rahkshi's mask has sharp edges, and the mould surface must have a nice finish, because the resulting plastic is very even and smooth.

I think that Rahkshi's mask has the most clean design expression of the three. And it looks like some kind of reptile head, maybe a snake or something. But I like all these three masks.

Front

For the record, Rahkshi don't have masks. It's an actual head.

For the record, Rahkshi don't have masks. It's an actual head.

Yes, you're right. I think the head is a nice peice too as e.g. shoulder armor.

4:

8915, Toa Matoro.

2007, 2nd, Canister set.

Toa Matoro

3820760055_fc09bbb5d6_o.jpg

5:

8687, Toa Pohatu and 8946, Photok.

2008, 1st, Canister and small set.

Toa Pohatu, Photok

3820761039_9872a7d845_o.jpg

6:

8978, Skrall and 8972, Atakus.

2009, 1st. Canister and small set.

Skrall, Atakus

3821568498_e5ed2bdd73_o.jpg

Edited by Front

Some thoughts on these sets ....

4: Toa Matoro. His mask reminds me of a clown, with the arched eye-holes. Otherwise it looks cool with a visor.

The Cordak blaster was a great relief, after dealing with the squid-launchers of the Baraki. Nice weapon too, I think it's the first time we saw that arched blade, and it's seen in varies colours since.

5: Toa Pohatu, Photok. Orange, I like it, not sure if dark grey would have been better if switched with black. Might get too contrasty. The Midak Skyblaster of Pohatu was seen on all three Toa this first half 2008. The two orange masks was the first two I engineered. Quite a challenge, but I learned a lot about plastic mould design.

6: Skrall and Atakus. I'm a sucker for dark sets. bring on evil. What a nice two-coloured sword they have, fantastic visual effect. The masks are top-notch, the stoned-cut design is awesome.

7: Gelu. His blade is cool, another effective use of two-coloured moulding. The two snow-flake shields on the shoulders are quite nice. These weapons were originally not designed to fit a ball-cup arm, but we changed it during the engineering process, so it not only fits around a hand.

8: Mazeka. The best executed vehicle set. It's small, can hardly move, but very sturdy technic building, and the gunner fits very well.

9: Gorast. If I have to pick one set I don't like, it's Gorast. Lots of nice pieces, but it can hardly stand up without falling. A six-legged creature with a strange mask, and very nice wings with a special optical effect.

Edited by Front

I really like how the eyes glow, it's very nice.

These macro shots are great, I really want Skrall, that mask is really pretty with the jagged texture.

I just got Gorast, and I agree, the only reason worth getting her are the beautiful wings [and possibly the Green Av-toran limbs].

[-TA-]

Seeing Skrall really made me want to get one. I had no idea it was so well and complicatedly sculpted . . . It looks really cool.

Those are some really nice pictures you took. How did you make the lighting so well done? It especially brings out the transparent parts of the sets.

Those are some really nice pictures you took. How did you make the lighting so well done? It especially brings out the transparent parts of the sets.

My guess on the lighting is a darkly-lit room, with a light placed to shine light directly behind, or slightly to the side of the heads, from a distance so as to reduce a little glare and blown highlights, and then a longer exposure, with a slow shutter-speed.

I'm liking what I'm seeing. I can tell you use a very pricey camera for these sets! :tongue:

You talked of a designer that made the Krika mask and Stronius helmet and I had a question about him. Did he alos design the Rahkshii head and the helmet used in the Thornatus and Baranus sets? I ask because of a feature that is very similar.

For example, look at a Rahkshii head next to Stronius' mask next to the Thonatus pilot's helmet. All three utilize a side panel/fang design and all give a skull-like impression from the front- well, except for the Thornatus pilot's helmet which looks more like a "good gy" equivalent to Stronius' badass mask.

Photographing is much more about technic than equipement. But these pictures here are taken in a dark room, using a flash-light and 20-30 second exposure. To get good results with this technic, a DSLR camera is probably needed. And a good macro lens.

To make the eyes glow, I point the flash-light up on the head from the inside for a considerable amount of the total exposure time of e.g. 30 seconds. Then I "paint" the rest of the sets in the remaining time, from above, front etc. So I have full control over which parts get the brightest light, and from which direction.

So, more or less like Darth Vader described in his post.

Regarding mask designs, I don't think the designer of Krika and Stronius did any of the masks used in Baranus or the old Rahkshii head.

I only see the skull like shape in Krika and Rahkshii, first of all because of the way the eyes appear. But maybe I'm not seeing everything you do, or understand it completely.

10:

8917, Kalmah and 8919, Mantax.

2007, 1st. Canister sets.

Kalmah, Mantax

3820762733_99560f3a56_o.jpg

11:

8699, Takanuva and 8998, Toa Mata Nui.

2008 and 2009 Titan sets.

Takanuva, Toa Mata Nui

3821569378_93efb151c1_o.jpg

12:

8728, Toa Hahli.

2006, 2nd, Canister set.

Toa Hahli

3833253989_884109a363_o.jpg

Notice that in most of the pictures, you can see a background matching the launch that year. I have several A2 sized Bionicle posters, that I use as background.

Edited by Front

Oh man, how do I envy you >_<

BTW, some Takanuva and Mata Nui good photos with very good poses is possible? Pleeeaaase? And Krika. And Icarax/Teridax (Makuta 2003).

BTW, Kalmah looks like he hates you (reader, not Front >_>). :tongue:

Edited by Nightmare

13:

8755, Keetongu.

2005, Box set.

Keetongu

3836997213_2f50646e44_o.jpg

14:

8694, Krika.

2008, 2nd, Canister set.

Krika

3820759649_06e04a0f90_o.jpg

15:

8986, Vastus.

2009, 2nd, Canister set.

Vastus

3820760443_19b2533020_o.jpg

comments:

I've had Voporak for some years and only had it assemblied for a month or so. I never got to build the three individual sets of this combiner-set. I am very impressed with the these three builds, one of which is Keetongu.

Note that his shield is rotated in different positions duing the 30 second exposure.

I spent some enjoyable weeks in 2007 drawing and modelling this Krika-head, designed by Dave.

Vastus: his mask is modelled by a guy who has made probably more than 500 Lego parts.

I just wanted to say that I loved the Piraka and the Inika for the use of teeth and actual mouths on the sets themselves. I thought that was a really cool thing they did with those masks.

Man, that Krika picture is awesome Front! He was the only Mistika I ever liked and bought. I always thought Keetongu had a bit of a poorly made head and of all 2005 titans I only have Sidorak. But in 2006 I bought all titans, and I loved Brutaka. Your picture does him all the justice he deserves, for he was a great set. And the Glatorian and Glatorian Legends pictures need no praise, they're the greatest Bionicle sets till now anyway.