Sign in to follow this  
ED-209

Off with her head!

indexed.gif

My beloved wife is a secondary school humanities teacher, and she asked me knock together a Lego guillotine to show her revolutionary history class. I had originally planned to make only the guillotine itself, but I got carried away and built the scaffolding too, and then of course there had to be a crowd of jeering onlookers too! The cotton is the only non-Lego piece, and the guillotine actually "works" in that unhooking the cotton from the executioner's wrist will drop the blade.

The idea of using the arched window piece as a basket is not mine. I'd seen it somewhere else a while ago, but can't seem to find it again to give credit to its creator. If anyone knows who came up with that little stroke of genius, please let me know!

This project also marks my first attempt at using SNOT (which seems somehow remarkable to me that I'd never done so before!)

Guillotine01.jpg

Guillotine02.jpg

Guillotine03.jpg

Guillotine04.jpg

Poor Marie Antoinette! :sad:

But it's a great MOC, nevertheless. The fact that the guillotine actually works is great!

Viva la resistance! :grin:

Very nicely executed! :tongue:

I like the guilliotine, and that face in the basket fits perfectly there.

Shame to the executioner, killing such a pretty woman...

But where are the guards to keep order around?

One technicality : the basket to gather the head usually is removable. I know, I'm being picky, but this is the little details that make a guillotine great.

Very nice. I like the use of the transparent red piece under the guy's head. Do you think the audience are a bit close ... might have a really sore neck after watching all the executions.

Great work ... I don't think I'll be eating at an executions.

That looks great, ED-209. :sweet: Great use of SNOT, and I love that the guillotine actually works. I like the stand too, the use of the tricolor hanging off it is a nice addition. Finally, I like the use of Willie Scotts' hairpiece as an 18th Century wig. I'll have to try that sometime. One improvement I would suggest though would be adding perhaps some cobblestones to the grey base, or add some tiles to create some texture.

Other than that though, you've made a great little scene. It reminds me of a guillotine I tried making a while ago (excuse the self-promotion :blush:)

IMG_1913.jpg

Great work ED-209. :classic:

What a cheerful execution! :laugh: I love all the flags and the excitement of the crowd.

The red trans 1x1 plate for the decapitated head is a novel touch, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! :sweet:

Do you think the audience are a bit close ... might have a really sore neck after watching all the executions.

LOL I guess that's true, but not as sore as the lady I'd wager! :laugh:

That looks great, ED-209. :sweet: Great use of SNOT, and I love that the guillotine actually works. I like the stand too, the use of the tricolor hanging off it is a nice addition. Finally, I like the use of Willie Scotts' hairpiece as an 18th Century wig. I'll have to try that sometime. One improvement I would suggest though would be adding perhaps some cobblestones to the grey base, or add some tiles to create some texture.

Other than that though, you've made a great little scene. It reminds me of a guillotine I tried making a while ago (excuse the self-promotion :blush:)

Great work ED-209. :classic:

Ah, marvellous! TinyPiesRUs, it was indeed your guillotine that I'd seen a while ago that inspired the use of the arch as a basket. It had been bothering me that I couldn't remember/find it to give due credit - thank you, and thank you for comments too!

Very funny. I should show this to my history teacher.

Please do, after all I did make it for a history teacher! :wink:

Excellent work, you have inspired me to try and create one also! :devil: Also, I like your usage of the window frame piece, very creative. :thumbup:

Very nice! Don't let the kids get a hold of that precious lego!

What set is that dress from?

Great moc. I first associated the title "Off with her head" with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It's the queen that is always saying it. Very nice creation! But poor queen! And poor guy whose turn it was before the queen's.

Very nice! Don't let the kids get a hold of that precious lego!

What set is that dress from?

That's from this:

7079-0000-xx-12-1.jpg