Ugly thing is ugly.

I think LEGO tried a bit too hard on this one.

What I'm more disapointed about is that the poseability of the scorpion doesn't look nearly as good as the poseability of the one in Aquaraiders 2007. At least, the legs in the former don't look nearly as flexible as the ones in the latter. Also, what's with those two gears on the tail - is there some sort of action feature we don't know about? :sceptic:

New box art pic of the Deep Sea Striker:

8076-1.jpg

Yay for underwater STAP! :tongue:

Stap :laugh:

Is it me or did the one at the Toy Fair look better :sceptic:

Still looks pretty good, I must buy for me! :thumbup:

:laugh: I noticed the STAP too! I'm not really sure I like it though, it's a bit clunky.

Of all the Keys, why is the striker guarding a Ray? :wacko: I'd prefer to see another Crab Key.

I think I smell a mechanism that makes the back 'tail' come down in attack. Check the 'tail"s base, and you'll see some out-of-place gears. I may just be flashing back to the age of Nui-Jagas, but that would be a pleasant surprise (and maybe even a reason to get it if I think that I could improve on it's abhorrent aesthetics.)

Giant Lobster-Scorpion FTW!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Notice how there are already guardians for each key (Gateway of the Squid, Monster Crab Clash, Guardian of the Deep and Shadow Snapper's guardians). The only guardian missing is a manta ray guardian, and as discussed quite a while back that it would be difficult to design, I guess they just made a last guardian and threw the last key in.

Yeah, I noticed the gears too. Admittingly, they could be for decoration (hey, maybe!), but there may be a function. Also, the "STAP" looks like it was made with leftover parts from the Sea Jet impulse set. :tongue:

Notice how there are already guardians for each key (Gateway of the Squid, Monster Crab Clash, Guardian of the Deep and Shadow Snapper's guardians). The only guardian missing is a manta ray guardian, and as discussed quite a while back that it would be difficult to design, I guess they just made a last guardian and threw the last key in.

Yeah, I noticed the gears too. Admittingly, they could be for decoration (hey, maybe!), but there may be a function. Also, the "STAP" looks like it was made with leftover parts from the Sea Jet impulse set. :tongue:

There is a manta ray in the Neptune Carrier set. A small one, but it's still pretty neat.

And I'll bet the gears are for a function-- spin them manually, and the tail will strike. That would also explain the weird two-pronged nature of the tail-- it's so that the tail strikes at either side of the jaws, rather than inflicting an unfortunate self-injury.

There is a manta ray in the Neptune Carrier set. A small one, but it's still pretty neat.

And I'll bet the gears are for a function-- spin them manually, and the tail will strike. That would also explain the weird two-pronged nature of the tail-- it's so that the tail strikes at either side of the jaws, rather than inflicting an unfortunate self-injury.

Yes, there is, although the focus is on the vehicle, not the ray. Besides, I don't think it's big enough to be a guardian (I'm fairly sure rays do grow that large). I never thought that the tail's prongs were far apart for a reason. The distance between them looked a bit absurd to me, but now it makes total sense after you pointed out it would avoid striking itself with its tail.

I just found out about these two Atlantis Activity Books which are available from amazon.co.uk! Click the pics to get to the amazon pages:

ladybird1-1.jpg

ladybird2-1.jpg

The first one seems like a nice and cheap way of getting a Squid Warrior! :oh: I really hope these come out over here too!

It may be old news, but I still need that Squid Warrior one :oh3: Cheapest way to get it without buying BL!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Now I don't know if anyone has seen this yet.......

9780756668532H.jpg

Found it on the actual dk books website. (release date August 2010)

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Edited by lightningtiger

D'awww, sharkie.

Cool vehicle, too. Looks like there's also a smaller probe vehicle on the top.

Meh, as with all Brickmaster books, the price to piece ratio is horrible on this. Some interesting parts in there, and the vehicle design aint too bad either, so it might be a good buy on clearance.

Meh, as with all Brickmaster books, the price to piece ratio is horrible on this. Some interesting parts in there, and the vehicle design aint too bad either, so it might be a good buy on clearance.

By that logic, the price to piece ratio on Dorling Kindersly's The LEGO Book is horrible. Zero pieces for forty dollars! That's an infinite amount of money per piece!

It's a book, people. A book costs a lot of money on its own to produce. It takes high-quality paper and thick binding where a set of comparable piece count would have a flimsy instruction booklet and a thin cardboard box.

No, I don't buy sets for the instructions, and yes, that's what you're essentially doing with these Brickmaster books. But that's all the more reason you can't compare them on the same terms with regular sets.

Zero pieces for forty dollars!

Ah, it comes with two minifig's and parts to build what's in the book just like a creator box set, so zero pieces ? :wacko:

Look at the cover again and you will see the brick count.

I have both the pirate and castle ones from last year they have a brick storage area in the front cover, I am keeping these M.I.S.B. and use what parts I have in stock to make those models when my son wants to.

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

I just found out about these two Atlantis Activity Books which are available from amazon.co.uk! Click the pics to get to the amazon pages:

ladybird1-1.jpg

ladybird2-1.jpg

The first one seems like a nice and cheap way of getting a Squid Warrior! :oh: I really hope these come out over here too!

Adding a minifigure to book makes people like me want it more than before. Great work TLC

Sorry Oky but those were posted a few pages back it's old news. :sceptic:

But it wasn't on the front page yet(a few pages ago).

Ah, it comes with two minifig's and parts to build what's in the book just like a creator box set, so zero pieces ? :wacko:

Look at the cover again and you will see the brick count.

Wrong book:

By that logic, the price to piece ratio on Dorling Kindersly's The LEGO Book is horrible. Zero pieces for forty dollars! That's an infinite amount of money per piece!

Hm, do I get the Squid King book now, or should I wait for a magnet set? :tongue:

It'd be about the same price, but waiting for the magnet set will yield two other minifigs. Oh well, wait it is.

It's a book, people. A book costs a lot of money on its own to produce. It takes high-quality paper and thick binding where a set of comparable piece count would have a flimsy instruction booklet and a thin cardboard box.

No, I don't buy sets for the instructions, and yes, that's what you're essentially doing with these Brickmaster books. But that's all the more reason you can't compare them on the same terms with regular sets.

I guess you make a good point, but I don't think you can compare these with The Lego Book. And I don't care if the instructions come in a golden case - instructions are instructions. Why print them in a fancy book?

Hm, do I get the Squid King book now, or should I wait for a magnet set?

Don't wait. Aside from the fact that action themes usually don't get more than one magnet set, there is no way of fitting the Squid warrior (not king) on a magnet. :wink:

I guess you make a good point, but I don't think you can compare these with The Lego Book. And I don't care if the instructions come in a golden case - instructions are instructions. Why print them in a fancy book?

I can't explain why people buy the Brickmaster books, but it's probably the same reason that I bought some books like this or this in my childhood. And that second one didn't come with any pieces at all!

Clearly, there's something people like about an actual book with instructions. You don't have to buy them or like them, but you certainly can't just judge them on the same terms as regular sets.

2 summer 2010 Atlantis sets are available on TRU.com:

8078 Portal Of Atlantis

8077 Atlantis HQ

Oh no, the portal doesn't come with a manta warrior! Time to stock up.

Still haven't been able to find the manta impulse. I think I was right quite a few pages back that impulses other than city impulses are scarce around here.

Edited by Delta 38