I don't think people might be dissmissing the theme because of a prelim unfinished set image, but because I would have thought this Sand Cutter set would not be the best in the theme. On the set list, the other names look far more promising.

Once again a lot of us aren't making fun of the theme but the one set.
So far that one set is all that we have seen, so it is basically representing the entire theme.

And for those of you saying that its a Power Miners clone, maybe it is. I personally like the PM sets, and some of you clearly don't. Perhaps this was Lego's attempt at releasing those styled sets to appeal to everyone.

That set definitely looks like Power Miners with different colors, but that's not actually a bad thing in my book. I thought the Power Miners sets had some good ideas, but I never liked their color scheme at all.

I also notice the transparent canopy in an interesting color (i.e. not trans-black or clear), which is good to see as well. If nothing else, those always make their way onto Bricklink and are useful for space MOCs.

3D glasses? Maybe TLG are remembering the startegy for Alpha Team's Arctic theme (red lenses for revealing secret patterns)

This was actually first done with Exploriens. (and the whole theme kind of revolved around it)

Edited by CP5670

But I would agree with Peppermint/Copmike/Darthperson that people always hate prelim pics. :laugh:

Me too! Come on LEGO and show us the real stuff!

I like Power Miners only because I think the monsters are cute. :)

Plus this theme is the death of a fantasy theme I always wanted Adventures in Atlantis.

I'm happy with the new theme. I started collecting Aqua Raiders when the theme was ending :cry_sad: . So I look forward to more pictures and information.

Here's a few more words.

(loose translation, I'm in a hurry; I hope some Italian fellow will check if I wrote some B.S.)

After the success of the Power Miners line, Lego will be launching in Jan. 2010 an explorers team, this time they'll have hi-tech submarine equipment.

The team's mission is to find the lost treasure of Atlantis hidden in the deep abyss and protected by marine creatures.

The theme, launching in Jan. 2010, comes with a wide assortment of submarine vehicles, sea platforms (= baseplates?), new characters (half-man, half-fish) and new creatures.

Sets will include 5 exclusive keys that will lead to the treasure.

Lego will be supporting the theme with a massive tv and ad campaign.

A new site, Atlantis.lego.com, featuring 3D contents, will be launched in Dec. 2009; 3D glasses will be included in some sets.

Fish Creatures and new diving gear?

I will at least buy the smaller under £10 sets!

I hope there isnt too much of a fuss over humans and their perceived looting of another's environment...

Fish Creatures and new diving gear?

I will at least buy the smaller under £10 sets!

I hope there isnt too much of a fuss over humans and their perceived looting of another's environment...

Ahah yeh...It seems like we're the bad guys in the last couple of years in Lego. :grin: Personally I think this theme has great potential

Yeah, it's not like humans don't do that in real life ... :) And protesting when it's only fictional is a bit hypocritical I think ... :)

What Lego calls their "Play Themes" must be very successful because they keep churning out new ones, year after year.

While it's impossible to judge the Atlantis theme based on the little we know so far, I can definitely say that I am bored to tears with these Play Themes. They've gotten really repetitive. Underwater sets, hunting for treasure, fighting sea creatures? Man, they JUST did this theme two years ago with Aquaraiders. Short-lived, vehicle-based, lots of "action elements" (read: flick-fire missiles). It's the same thing over and over again, just in different colors.

It's funny, there's a lot of similar ranting going on over in the Town sub-forum because there's yet-another fire station coming out next year. Lego knows how to make money, and they know whaat will be successful. I can't knock them for their marketing strategy (which obviously must work). I can knock them for being boring and repetitive though.

When I hear the name "Atlantis," I picture ancient ruins and mysterious creatures. Ah well. I had such high hopes for this ...

They've gotten really repetitive. Underwater sets, hunting for treasure, fighting sea creatures? Man, they JUST did this theme two years ago with Aquaraiders.

I'm a huge fan of Aqua Raiders so I must defend them. :grin: Aqua Raiders 2007 was a one year theme, it was never planned for more than one year. However it seemed that the children really loved the theme, so my guess is LEGO started planning a new underwater theme starting in mid 2008 to see if they could match the success. I rather they just continue with Aqua Raiders and expand to create an "Aqua Sharks" bag guy that is trying to steal Atlantis tressure or something stupid like that. :laugh:

What Lego calls their "Play Themes" must be very successful because they keep churning out new ones, year after year.

While it's impossible to judge the Atlantis theme based on the little we know so far, I can definitely say that I am bored to tears with these Play Themes. They've gotten really repetitive. Underwater sets, hunting for treasure, fighting sea creatures? Man, they JUST did this theme two years ago with Aquaraiders. Short-lived, vehicle-based, lots of "action elements" (read: flick-fire missiles). It's the same thing over and over again, just in different colors.

It's funny, there's a lot of similar ranting going on over in the Town sub-forum because there's yet-another fire station coming out next year. Lego knows how to make money, and they know whaat will be successful. I can't knock them for their marketing strategy (which obviously must work). I can knock them for being boring and repetitive though.

When I hear the name "Atlantis," I picture ancient ruins and mysterious creatures. Ah well. I had such high hopes for this ...

Of course Lego are on a cycle!

Every two years another group of kids are able to play with lego, those who missed the older version can get the new one! Last years sets disappear very quickly (Impulses and liscenced themes are the only ones with "staying power" to stick around in shops a bit longer). So if they want a fire station but were still 'stuff everything in your mouth' age when one was in shops, this new one will be for them.

It happens in lots of things. Stuff moves in cycles.

I don't think this is going to be succesfull either.

Like many have said before me; it's just like power miners but then in the sea instead of in the earth.

If they make sets with ruins and sea creatures, I would buy the sets, but this is just like every other action theme.

Note to all: This is one picture of one set that might not even be final. Go take a look at the prelim picture thread and see what I mean.

There are at least a small set, a medium-ish set, a large set and maybe even a giant set to be seen, plus maybe an impulse.

You guys can calm down a bit. Those that want ancient ruins, just wait a bit to see all the Atlantis sets, I think you'll be fairly pleased :devil:

And those looking for sea creatures I can almost assure you that based on the preliminary shots I have seen you will get some.

MLB

You guys can calm down a bit. Those that want ancient ruins, just wait a bit to see all the Atlantis sets, I think you'll be fairly pleased :devil:

And those looking for sea creatures I can almost assure you that based on the preliminary shots I have seen you will get some.

MLB

Are there mermaids?

Those that want ancient ruins, just wait a bit to see all the Atlantis sets, I think you'll be fairly pleased :devil:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I have been waiting to hear that for a while now! :cry_happy: :cry_happy:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I have been waiting to hear that for a while now! :cry_happy: :cry_happy:

I swear that that photo looks like a power miner set covered in red.Well if this theme dosent go through im gonna say i told LEGO so :tongue: .

I still think the 3D glasses and key collecting ideas are kick- a$$! :sweet:

It would be a shame to HAVE to buy the prelim pic set for a special key though because it's not that great.

Edited by The Rancor

You think if it was legot you'd see more than one set?

Hopefully it is real and we will see a large scale Atlantis set.