RoodakaHK

Bionicle-2010?

Meh, I can get where you're coming from, Refia. Guess I'm just not bothered by it as much as some, cause I'm really enjoying TOTB. Personally, my favorite serial since... Ever. I've never really enjoyed a serial, to be honest. So this is a welcome change. :)

-Mesonak

I'd have to say TPTB is one of my favorite serials as of yet as well. The deaths did seem somewhat random, but I didn't really plan to see Karzahni or Tren Krom again anyways... as long as not too many characters are just murdered left and right I can overlook it because of the awesome character development. It's the first time in a while we've seen a pair of Toa Nuva and went really deeply into their personalities--seeing as Kopaka and Pohatu are two of my favorite characters, it's totally welcome. Interesting to see how Kopaka matured into an almost paladin-like Toa, while Pohatu is getting more of an edgy personality, but their "cold" and "friendly" aspects are still there. Awesome <3.

Personally, I love The Powers That Be -- it's the first time since Mata Nui's identity was revealed that we've had a mystery in the story. ^_^

Not quite - there was the whole "who is the traitor" mystery that was featured in 2009, but I have to admit that The Powers That Be already trumps that easily.

On another note, it's nice to see you back, Ikki - you haven't posted in a long while. :classic:

Not quite - there was the whole "who is the traitor" mystery that was featured in 2009, but I have to admit that The Powers That Be already trumps that easily.

On another note, it's nice to see you back, Ikki - you haven't posted in a long while. :classic:

Darn! I forgot the traitor story. That was quite neat... very reminiscent of Ahkmou.

I still stalk these forums occasionally, but a recent combination of Bionicle's death (as sets and main story go, anyway) and me commencing undergraduate studies has severely restricted my free time. Now I'm on Facebook all the time instead. Wait, I didn't say that.

I'll prolly be hangin' out here some more if the serials continue to be this interesting. :sweet:

This isn't explicitly related to 2010 BIONICLE, but I figured it was worth sharing and didn't deserve its own topic.

Since LDD 4.0 came out yesterday, many more colors are available. One of the first things I was happy to see was that many metallic colors that did not render correctly in 3.0 now show up as the colors they're supposed to resemble. So I was able to complete something I had started on many months ago: an LDD color chart for BIONICLE. Click the image to download the chart as an LXF file. Click here to view a convenient visual key on my BIONICLEsector01 sandbox (including RGB values in hexadecimal). Also note that with LDD 4.0 you can click any piece to view its color ID number and name.

bionicle_color_chart.png

I still stalk these forums occasionally, but a recent combination of Bionicle's death (as sets and main story go, anyway) and me commencing undergraduate studies has severely restricted my free time. Now I'm on Facebook all the time instead. Wait, I didn't say that.

I'll prolly be hangin' out here some more if the serials continue to be this interesting. :sweet:

Well in that case, welcome back, Ikki. Actually, if it weren't for the serials, I probably wouldn't be spending much time talking about Bionicle either. :tongue:

Speaking of which, is anyone else enjoying seeing Kopaka and Pohatu working together again? Cause I've always found their friendship one of the most interesting character relationships in Bionicle, and this new serial is just as fun as their team-ups in 2001 and 2008. :thumbup:

...And as soon as I finish the color chart to my satisfaction, I discover that there is a color which I may be missing: 296 Cool Silver, which was released in 2006. It's possible this is the newer, lighter silver that everybody hated. Problem is, I have no idea how long it was used for. I'll add it to my own chart temporarily, but I won't be updating the chart on my Brickshelf until I'm more certain that I haven't made any other omissions.

And yes, I totally love Kopaka's relationship with Pohatu. "He's a friendly, lighthearted Toa of Stone. He's a cold and distant Toa of Ice. They fight crime!"

Well in that case, welcome back, Ikki. Actually, if it weren't for the serials, I probably wouldn't be spending much time talking about Bionicle either. :tongue:

Speaking of which, is anyone else enjoying seeing Kopaka and Pohatu working together again? Cause I've always found their friendship one of the most interesting character relationships in Bionicle, and this new serial is just as fun as their team-ups in 2001 and 2008. :thumbup:

KOPAKAxPOHATU OTP!! >>>=C

Er, yes, they are an awesome team.

Edited by CabooseBM

KOPAKAxPOHATU OTP!! >>>=C

Er, yes, they are an awesome team.

I would totally write fanfiction shipping those two if not for the fact that even my straight fanfiction ends up with horribly-fake-seeming relationships. Writing for a relationship I couldn't identify with would make things even more complicated-- and furthermore, the end result could stand to be considered offensive rather than just plain bad.

They strike me as some of the characters Greg writes best, and to whose personalities he is most faithful. Which makes sense, since what was essentially their first appearance was also Greg's first assignment for the BIONICLE theme. He's very consistent in his portrayal of characters within his own work, which could explain why he got so much criticism starting in 2006 with the Toa Inika story arc-- the Matoran characters who became the Toa Inika were all characters who had been developed primarily through the Mata Nui Online Game and Bohrok Online Animations, neither of which Greg had a hand in. While I think he did a decent job with them (in 2007 especially, possibly making up for less impressive portrayals in 2006), he didn't have the same firsthand experience with the characters as he had gotten for the Toa Mata from the 2001-2003 comics.\

Also, in other news, I updated my LDD color chart with Rahkshi primary colors (Metallic Bright Red, Metallic Dark Green, Metallic Earth Orange, etc), and replaced my BS01 chart with a link to the LDD chart and an Excel spreadsheet (because I'm tired of my few edits on the Wiki going towards a personal project rather than the mainspace). Here's a link to my BS01 sandbox where you can download both files. The number of known BIONICLE colors is now 64, if you don't count the transparent-gold-glitter color used for Takanuva's alternate mask in 2003, which I know next to nothing about and cannot manage to generate in LDD.

Well, this has to be a record, because The Powers That Be 3 is already up. And...

...apparently, the Red Star = the pocket dimension with the Purple and Black entities that Takanuva visited. :oh3:

Also, aparently Nynrah Ghosts are not nearly as scrupulous as we once might have thought. Also, Gaadrus is a nother awesome name, and his character has a pretty interesting origin. Still, just... I don't think anyone saw that plot twist coming. When Greg said on BZP that he was going to reintroduce someone we never thought we'd see again, he really meant it. :oh3:

...And as soon as I finish the color chart to my satisfaction, I discover that there is a color which I may be missing: 296 Cool Silver, which was released in 2006. It's possible this is the newer, lighter silver that everybody hated.

Could it be the very light colour that was used for Thok's weapon:

Thok on Brickset

or Umbra:

Umbra on Brickset

Not sure you will find these in any 2007 sets ?

Could it be the very light colour that was used for Thok's weapon:

Thok on Brickset

or Umbra:

Umbra on Brickset

Not sure you will find these in any 2007 sets ?

Yeah, I recognize that it's the 2006 silver. I've updated my chart accordingly. You can find the latest version of my chart in both LXF and XLSX (Excel 2007 document) formats here.

The problem in my case is the difficulty of a) knowing whether Cool Silver was indeed completely phased out in 2007, and b) knowing what color predated it-- for now, I'm assuming it was regular 131 Silver, since no other colors seem to match, but I can't be sure.

The Excel document is basically replacing the version of the chart I had on my BS01 Sandbox. I love BS01, but I'd prefer my sparse edits to be constructive rather than just updating my sandbox. Since it's replacing the BS01 version, it includes features from that, including the RGB in hexadecimal for every color for which I was able to find that information.

The new chapter of The Powers That Be made up for the last somewhat, though it's kind of convenient Kopaka and Pohatu just happen to come across a free ticket to the Red Star, no?

What I'm thinking now is that whatever lives in the Red Star maybe aren't aware of the fact that the Mata Nui robot is destroyed, or refuse to aknowledge it, or think it's only temporarily. Or if they do know, maybe they were programmed by the Great Beings to "shut down" anything that powered the robot. Karzahni used to repair the nanobots of the robot, Tren Krom used to keep it running... It wouldn't be the first time the Great Beings installed beings to take drastic measures.

Hmm interesting chapter.

I'm a really confused about this new winged being, and I think the whole star thing was rushed. To be honest I felt it was rather anti-climatic. Still I'm enjoying this serial. I much prefer it to The Yesterday Quest.

Edited by ultra hamster

I'm sure those reading this topic can help me. I've been reading the novelizations of the entire Bionicle saga to my son ove rthe past year (we are up to Adventures #6 - Maze of Shadows). I love the story, and eventually we will have read all of the novels.

But it appears that there is a lot more to the story than will be covered in the novels, based on the last 10 pages of this thread. Where can I go to find thiese extra pieces, and which story arcs should I read when I get there? Is there a specific ordr to read these arcs as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm sure those reading this topic can help me. I've been reading the novelizations of the entire Bionicle saga to my son ove rthe past year (we are up to Adventures #6 - Maze of Shadows). I love the story, and eventually we will have read all of the novels.

But it appears that there is a lot more to the story than will be covered in the novels, based on the last 10 pages of this thread. Where can I go to find thiese extra pieces, and which story arcs should I read when I get there? Is there a specific ordr to read these arcs as well?

The majority of the extra story can be found on BIONICLEstory.com. The stories there were originally started with Gali Nuva's Entries, Into the Darkness and Dreams of Destruction, which run alongside the main story of Winter 2007. Each serial/blog/podcast has around 10 entries, and each subsequent new story matches with the next half-year (until recently).

Also, on BIONICLE.com you will find Journey's End, the final BIONICLE book that wasn't widely released in book form, and Mata Nui's saga, which also sums up the final chapter of BIONICLE.

Here's a summary of the extra story parts:

Adventures doesn't really have any extra serial stories, the serials began in 2007 in the middle of the Legends series. There are a few short stories worth checking out in the Metru Nui saga, like Birth of a Dark Hunter. so here goes:

Legends 6-8 (City of the Lost, Prisoners of the Pit, and Downfall)

-Into the Darkness

-Toa Nuva Blog

-Dreams of Destruction

Legends 9: Shadows in the Sky

-The Mutran Chronicles

-The Kingdom

-Dark Mirror

-Legends 10-11: (Secrets of the Swamp, The Final Battle)

-Takanuva Blog

-Federation of Fear

-Brothers in Arms

-Dwellers in Darkness

-Destiny War

Raid on Vulcanus:

-Reign of Shadows

-Empire of the Skrall

The Legend Reborn:

-The Crossing

-Sahmad's Tale

-Riddle of the Great Beings

-Mata Nui Saga

And then the book Journey's End was released online, as was said above. The movies are okay, but the books explain what's going on better. Anyways, the links are here:

Serials:

At the bottom of this page:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Saga_Guides#Spherus_Magna

OR

Bioniclestory.com

Keep in mind also, it's probably best to read the books, and then the serials for each section. The ends of the serials usually end where the book ends.

Bionicle has got to be one of the most difficult series to follow!

Toa Lahka's got it covered though.

The story serials are a little more violent though, just so that you are aware of this, Dark Mirror in particular.

Edited by ultra hamster

Here's a summary of the extra story parts:

*snip*

Thanks for the info Toa Lahka (and the others that responded). I think I'll wait until I get that far with the novels so that I at least know what is going on, but now I know where to go and what order to tackle them in.

I'm looking forward to getting caught up with the story. I own so many of the sets and have always wondered how they fit in story wise. I never read any of the comics until the Mistika series started.

End of an era: while the Pharaoh's Quest and Minifigures websites were updated today, the BIONICLE website has been taken down. The products page hasn't been updated, so the BIONICLE icon's still there (regrettably, still just the 2009 icon-- we never got one for the Stars series), but it leads to the adorable (but usually disappointing) "Page Not Found" page.

BIONICLEstory.com is still up, so that should be no small relief. And soon (if not already) the BIONICLE stuff will be on archive.org. Next semester I guess I'll resume perusing...

Only the front page is down. Everything else is still up.

That's awfully weird. Ah, well. I'm sure my brother would have gotten pretty steamed if I started browsing wayback machine results again, anyway. This way I get at least a temporary reprieve.

Hey I don't know if this is exactly on topic but I found this rather interesting Bionicle fan film on BZP.

It is really quite amazing, I haven't seen any other Bionicle fan films like it.

It's in French but it has English subtitles.

View it here.