Christian

City 2010

Pictures edited, no more pictures yet. Hope, that there will come finally some season, when last FD station will burn out into the sands of time, and some other theme will be used in City....

Thanks for doing the editing for us. :classic:

To all,

Please remember links are alright, discussion is alright as well, BUT deeplinks of the prelimin and confidential images are strictly not allowed. This is just a reminder to all. Thanks.

It's nice to see something, and this Fire Station does look nice and I prefer this more than the previous version.

The yellow thing could also be one of those big safety nets they use to catch jumpers. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw there were four minifigs carrying it.

The yellow thing could also be one of those big safety nets they use to catch jumpers. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw there were four minifigs carrying it.

It seems that it's a stretcher being used as such a 'net' for the white cat.

btw: That ladder truck seems to have two seats (behind each other, which is a little unrealistic, but still, it can seat two minifigs).

Edited by Rick

That is remarkably similar to the last fire station. Why even bother making a new set? Just keep the old one around for a couple more years and save some money on design costs.

I find it kinda sad that the most interesting and innovative thing in the set is a kitten. WOW! TLC has ever had a kitten in a fire station set before!!

Obviously these firemen sets sell, so I don't dispute TLC's decision to always have a line of firemen sets available. But from an AFOL perspective, man, are they boring ...

On the Fire Boat:

I am so loving the little Yellow Boat, a much more realistic colour! To be fair it looks like a nice set, I don't really buy Fire Sets, but I would be quite tempted by this if I saw a good price. But even better it floats....

Bath Time Fun!

How long before we see Piglets and the Tanker Truck?

And thank you for taking my mind off the disaster that the End of Pirates has arrived so soon!

And of the Fire Station:

I think you are quite right here.

Edited by mikey

Alleuia! Fire Fans Rejoice! The new face of the Lego City Fire Department is here! With more universal trucks to fit into any U.S., canada, or other global department!

Sorry i got a little carried away, but everyone has the right to do that when the see these don't they? Some of you AFOLs don't like them, but thats your opinion. Finally all us fire buffs have some nice parts to work with. Alleuia!

While reading Imperial Shadow's great review of the 6521 Emergeny Repair Truck I thought:

May it be that behind the set name 3179 breakdown vehicle there is an updated version of this classic car - but in orange color, with more tools and the modern car repair worker from this year?

6521.jpg

Klaus-Dieter

I have this one - cute little car :)

It would be nice to see a completely orange car

Thank you very much for that link, Kanal-K1! :classic:

Like I feared the new Fire HQ won't be that interesting:

In the Big Fire Department there is no single civilian minifig included, no really new vehicle (only bigger ones), no scenery which burns to rescue, again only two garages and the tower looks absolutely unrealistic with that much windows in it (that could be a hospital but not a fire HQ)! :thumbdown:

So please tell me where there is the big improvement which justifies to release this new fire HQ and so have much less chances to get brilliant civilian sets?! :hmpf:

Indeed, not much to get excited about. I'm curious about the construction of the yellow 'what-do-you-call-that-thing-in-English' in the bottom-left corner of the box.

I think that this is no yellow stretcher but a yellow net like shown in this picture:

werk-sprungtuch.gif

Hopefully we'll see some pics of the City Runabout, the Repair Car and the Piglets Enclosure With Tractor, soon, since these three are namely the only regular City sets of the first half of 2010 in which I'm (supposably) interested!

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Wow...

These sets don't suck, but they aren't new.

Most of the time sure the fire station looks the same, but they add the new pieces and make the things look newer.

This time it looks like they stuck the second floor of the last one and stuck it on the side. There is a fire pole, but still. The set will most likely be $70, and there isn't really anything new to it, might as well just keep the odl one around another year.

The boat looks like several other fire boats but then LEGO tried to throw on every other piece it makes on top.

I care more about the airport stuff.

EDIT - Klaus-Dieter is right, this would make a really neat hospital design, obviously change the color.

Edited by The Green Brick Giant

Yes, I'm curious about the airport as well.

I might actually get that if it fits in well with the recent planes.

It seems as if the Fire Boat looks really much better than the previous version - I would even say (judging from this very first preliminary and blurry picture on which you can't see the boat from all sides and its interior) that it can match with the fire boats from the 70s, 80s and 90s!

Which I really like is that it is bigger (perhaps a bit too huge!) and that it includes a real and decent bridge. :thumbup:

I'm really curious about whether there'll be a decent interior included, whether there'll be windows downstairs or only some fences (like in the big CG boat) and whether the small boat fits in the back of the ship and how it can be driven in and out.

If all these things worked fine I'll perhaps buy this neat and realistic looking fire boat since it surely would look good next to the last cargo harbor, the Police Boat from 1991 and the CG Platform. :wink:

Since TLG releases this Fire Boat I hope that we'll get some civilian/cargo ships and/or harbor stuff in summer, too.

But I fear that this won't be the case since there'll already be new Train sets :sadnew: - plus a bank, a post office, a grocery and some other more civilian sets are even more needed than some new harbor/ship sets (although they'd of course be welcome!)! :sceptic:

Klaus-Dieter

Both the fire station and boat are nice - they certainly don't exceed expectations, but more than anything at this point I look forward to seeing the fine details within the sets (which I cross my fingers that there is an abundance of).

Hopefully we will see some of the other city sets soon as well (pig pen :cry_happy: ).

Overall though I'm thinking the 2010 city sets are getting a :thumbup: from me.

Both the fire station and boat are nice - they certainly don't exceed expectations, but more than anything at this point I look forward to seeing the fine details within the sets (which I cross my fingers that there is an abundance of).

Hopefully we will see some of the other city sets soon as well (pig pen :cry_happy: ).

Overall though I'm thinking the 2010 city sets are getting a :thumbup: from me.

I totally agree, but i hope they make an ambulance to go with this stuff :tongue:

Is it just me, or is there also a smaller ladder included in the fire station, beside the station?

I for one am not too impressed by these first images of the sets. The fire station looks like a re-arranged version of 7945, with a slightly different ladder truck (speaking of which, why can't they include something other than that, like a pumper, rescue, or squad?), and another small car that looks like a mix between a Ford Grand C-Max and a Peugeot BB1 Concept. That's not a good thing. I do like the potentially new fire net, and all the windows included. Even the slight design change to a more modern-esque type fire truck is welcome, though.

Now for the boat. It looks terrible. The hull looks very much like a patchwork of misshapen pieces, and looks way too top heavy. The boom looks like it was stuck on to "justify" the price. I think that for a few more bucks, the should've made some sort of simple pump, considering they advertise it floats and should be played with in the water. I'm not really sure what more there is to say about this one, other than, like 7906, I won't be getting it.

The firestation I'll consider, though it's unlikely with the atlantis sets and, depending on what the others look like, the other city sets.

*Those are all just my opinions, if you have a different opinion, I would like to hear it as well.

Fire Boat is alright, if you like boats but I am not a boat fan

Now the new Fire Station is very nice :oh:

I own the 2007 version which I thought was the best one yet

This new fire station has some cool features like the glass building that the other one didn't

The structure is cool and I like the pole they slide down on :laugh:

However I also agree with Klaus- Dieter

The trucks are mediocre and not as nice as the 07 trucks

Also no civilians is downside, at least someone to rescue

Now in this case I think LEGO could have made a compromise

Make a set that has a civilian apartment building or a store , styled by the City Corner sets

Have the set have fire/flame parts and include a fire truck to rescue people from the fire

That would have been great!

I hope we see more civilian based sets :classic:

Edited by Macoco

The fire station looks like a combination of the last 2 fire stations (Not including the new modular one 10197) :sceptic:

Its a prelim though... Not sure if I want it seeing as I got the latest one (not 10197) and it looks so similar. :sceptic:

I hope the new firetruck in the firestation fits more then one minifig, It looks like it could if not looks like it would be easy to mod it and the new windscreen piece used for the bus looks like it works well. :wink:

Overall so far the 2 sets we've seen look like bigger versions of previous sets. :sceptic: I'll have to wait for the non-prelim pics to decide though. :classic:

So far these previews are a small disappointment for me. It seems to me that City houses/buildings are losing some quality in the last couple of years: I'm also thinking about City Corner, Farm, Construction Site... the buildings seem to be too empty, and the pieces too large. The notable exception is the latest Police Station which seems instead a high-quality design, but the Garage also is probably not bad.

I don't know if there is a differentiation strategy behind:

- simpler buildings in the City theme, less pieces + bigger pieces = easy to build

- good buildings in Creator, more pieces + smaller/simple pieces = highly customizable

- fantastic Exclusive/S@H buildings, huge with unique pieces and colours

But on the other hand, it may be just that at the moment the City designers aren't getting their best results with buildings... because when I look at City vehicles, they are nowadays the best design ever, and not over-simplified at all.

My best would be City buildings equivalent in quality to vehicles: as rich in details, parts and colours as the exclusives, but as small as City sets have always been.

I like the new fire boat although it looks really similar to that coast guard boat.

I'm still getting it though :thumbup:

But on the other hand, it may be just that at the moment the City designers aren't getting their best results with buildings... because when I look at City vehicles, they are nowadays the best design ever, and not over-simplified at all.

My best would be City buildings equivalent in quality to vehicles: as rich in details, parts and colours as the exclusives, but as small as City sets have always been.

I think that's a great point. The vehicles they've designed in the past few years have been terrific. And there's been lots of stuff we've never seen before (or that we haven't seen in 15 years) like the city bus, steam roller, cement truck, etc.

But the buildings (aside from the modular building sets) have been pretty lackluster. Part of the problem seems to be that the scale of the vehicles has gotten so big, and the buildings have not followed suit. That recent garage set is a good example. To make an enclosed building that could actually fit the truck from that set would have been HUGE, and probably way beyond their target price point. So, instead they went with a really lame "open" design.

The Town Plan set showed that Lego CAN still make good buildings in the "classic town" style (i.e., smaller, open backs, relatively simple construction as opposed to the modular buildings). All three buildings in that set were terrific. But then we got the City Corner which I found very disappointing. We need more stuff like the Town Plan!!