fallentomato

Some girls wear glasses

I was working on making minfigs of the Scooby Gang this evening and when I got to Velma I realized that I didn't have a female head with regular glasses. Crazy futuristic sunglasses?

3626bpb365.jpg

Sure! Quidditch Googles?

3626bpb126.gif

Check! Tiny black mask that doesn't fall off of your face even when you are running across rooftops in full face make-up?

3626bpb306.jpg

Of course! And I grant that these are all important types of eyewear for any modern woman (and awesome heads which I am proud to own) but what about plain old, eyesight-enhancing glasses? I found this Trewlaney head

3626bpb211.gif

But that is clearly an older woman. I eventually settled on this head,

3626bpb122.jpg

which is pretty gender neutral, but still Velma looks mannish.

How have other people dealt with this issue? I know plenty of girls who wear glasses, and I don't know how I would make them into minifigs (something I do pretty commonly for my friends) :sceptic:

which is pretty gender neutral, but still Velma looks mannish.

Well she never really was much of a looker. :tongue:

Back in my day, minifig gender was determined solely by wig, so I think using that head would look OK to me.

I never needed a female with glasses, so I never thought about it, but you are right of course, we do need more females with glasses. Or more females in general. I'd even be happy with a version of that last head you posted with lipstick around the mouth line. That head would work just fine for Velma btw. :wink: Can't wait to see your Scooby Gang.

You forgot a head with also futuristic sunglasses though. :wink:

3626bpb257.jpg

I know I would like some girl-glasses heads. I know in the LEGO game, LEGO Island, they gave several women characters the old 90s sunglasses head with lipstick on the moth instead of a normal smile. I know I would like a version of that head. Or, as mentioned above, the most recent glasses head and sunglasses head with lipstick on the mouth.

I don't understand how that Trelawney-head looks like an old woman to you. But the head you chose for Velma isn't that bad either - it's no more masculine than the old smiley-heads.

Not all girls wear lipstick, either. :tongue:

I don't understand how that Trelawney-head looks like an old woman to you.

The line around Trewlaney's mouth indicate age to me.

Not all girls wear lipstick, either. :tongue:

Of course :classic: And in fact, Velma doesn't. But there are other ways to differentiate faces like eyelashes and eyebrows. It'd be nice if Lego didn't always use all of them at once when creating female heads. As a result we get these hyper-feminine figs and the gender neutral figs and very little in between. I'd love to see more variation in general. But also I just want a head that's more appropriate for Tina Fey :tongue:

Ya know, I never actually noticed...but you're right. We definitely could use some female minifig heads with glasses. I mean Quidditch Goggles rock and all, but I agree that not everyone wears them. :tongue: What I'd love to see is a female minifig head wearing 'sexy librarian' (aka Lisa Loeb) style frames. Some of the new hair pieces would really work well with those frames.

post-6272-1249994286.jpg

I'd also love to see a female minifig with the white sunglasses like Hannah Murray (aka Cassie) wore on the first two seasons of Skins on the BBC.

post-6272-1249994145.jpg

I think they are called a "Jackie O." style frame. They're wicked cute.

These would both be stellar....interstellar even. :tongue: Like...wow!

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Velma doesn't need a face with glasses. She looses them in every episode of scooby doo. Just give her a nice looking female face and put a pair of glasses in her hand. You know the ones who can be clicked onto a helmet.

Regards Bart

The line around Trewlaney's mouth indicate age to me.

Those same lines can be found in other female Harry Potter figs as well, at least in the older sets. Hermione and Ginny both have the same lines around the mouth. They're not wrinkles. :tongue:

Those same lines can be found in other female Harry Potter figs as well, at least in the older sets. Hermione and Ginny both have the same lines around the mouth. They're not wrinkles. :tongue:

Dimples perhaps?

Just say they're wearing contacts.

I think Velma's eyes' presciption is too high for contacts :grin:

I think it would be cool to have a female head with glasses. In fact, it would be great if Lego released a lot of new heads. I'd like more variety but only wish they would all conform to the same 'style'. Too much difference nowadays. I think the current yellow heads with the eyes and white pupils style are the best...

I would also like heads with blonde, grey, orange eyebrows to match a change in hair/wig colour, both pink and red lipstick for vriety, glasses, beards (not for women!), etc. I don't like the heads with teeth showing though!