Sign in to follow this  
Mraz Skintas

AV-7 Anti-vehicle cannon [MOC]

indexed.gif

This is my favorite MOC I have as of right now, and the pride and joy of my collection. I tried to make it as minifig scale as possible, and I personally think I did a rather good job at it. I built this just a little after my AT-RTs, and this too, when I get around to it, will go into my Christophsis diorama, so without any further ado, the pics. Enjoy. :thumbup:

A far back shot of the overall vehicle.

3809436271_72870b07f1_m.jpg

The front of the vehicle.

3810211936_fb200e2e5a_m.jpg

A close up on the leg.

3809449505_c1cfa9f983_m.jpg

A view of the side details.

3810262624_ee1b841b0a_m.jpg

The back corner.

3809401045_093280a2cf_m.jpg

The back.

3809400611_2f73bf598f_m.jpg

The cannon.

3809399483_e4670a7691_m.jpg

A couple of things that I noticed that weren't right was the lack of pictures, so I will get a few more up tomorrow morning. I also forgot to put the hoses on the right side of the cannon block thing. :blush:

C and CC welcome.

Not bad at all Mraz! :thumbup:

You've captured the shape well, as well as include lots of nice details. I'm not too fond of the yellow, as it's not that obvious on the 'real' thing. The shape of the gun isn't quite right, but I appreciate the difficulty of getting it right.

Well done. :sweet:

cool moc. The legs look nice and sturdy and the cannon looks like it could do some damage. You have put in some good detailing and the shape looks close to the real thing.

Good moc Mraz 'Skintas!

Very nice MOC Mraz! Looks awesome. :cry_happy:

I have to agree with ADHO15 on the size of the barrel, it's a bit short in comparison.

Also the feet are somewhat to close together.

But although yellow isnt my favourite colour, it does seem to be in the reference picture.

Reference picture from Wookieepedia

RepublicArtillery.jpg

That's a good attempt Mraz - obviously I know how hard it is to build the AV-7! I'm intrigued to see what you Christophsis battle scene will look like in it's entirety :wink:

It looks like you've used a few construction techniques from the version I built. If you're looking to refine or strengthen any elements of your model I'd be happy to share what I did. For instance, I built the outer 'toes' and lower legs as one unhinged piece as it provides a lot more stability. Also, there are technic pieces at the core of my model which attach the very base of the hull (separate from the side 'shells') to the gun, making it possible for you to build your barrel much longer as the structure can sustain its weight.

Edited by pedro

Wow, nice. Job. A couple things I don't like however, is the length of the forelegs. They're just a bit too short, and make the legs closer then they should be. A second thing is that, to me, the cannon in the reference pic looks, in lego world, about 2x2. If you put the large, tipless cone at the bottom, and then put 2x2 cylinders all the way to the top, It would look slightly better.

Wow, nice. Job. A couple things I don't like however, is the length of the forelegs. They're just a bit too short, and make the legs closer then they should be. A second thing is that, to me, the cannon in the reference pic looks, in lego world, about 2x2. If you put the large, tipless cone at the bottom, and then put 2x2 cylinders all the way to the top, It would look slightly better.

Proportionately Mraz's model's forelegs are about the right length in my opinion, and the upper legs of the AV-7 are telescopic so expand and retract depending on it's stance so these can be any length from fully extended (as per the reference image) to retracted and close to the hull. As well as that it's a repulsorlift vehicle so doesn't actually use them to walk!

The barrel is one of the hardest things to get right on this: at this scale I found it ideally needs to start at 4 x 4 then gently taper across it's entire length to what would be roughly 2 x 2 - which is pretty impossible using LEGO - so it's a case of getting it as close as possible. 2 x 2 for the majority of length would be way too thin at this scale. I'd imagine if LEGO ever did a minifig scale treatment of this they'd have a long molded part for the barrel, or most of it anyway...

Not bad at all Mraz! :thumbup:

You've captured the shape well, as well as include lots of nice details. I'm not too fond of the yellow, as it's not that obvious on the 'real' thing. The shape of the gun isn't quite right, but I appreciate the difficulty of getting it right.

Well done. :sweet:

Thanks. Right now the yellow is just a placeholder, and I plan on re-doing the gun part making longer and more proportional.

cool moc. The legs look nice and sturdy and the cannon looks like it could do some damage. You have put in some good detailing and the shape looks close to the real thing.

Good moc Mraz 'Skintas!

Thank you very much. The legs are pretty sturdy, but I did use that one 4x6 piece with technic pegs all around it and an empty middle, so it is sorta hollow.

Very nice MOC Mraz! Looks awesome. :cry_happy:

I have to agree with ADHO15 on the size of the barrel, it's a bit short in comparison.

Also the feet are somewhat to close together.

But although yellow isnt my favourite colour, it does seem to be in the reference picture.

Reference picture from Wookieepedia

RepublicArtillery.jpg

The yellow is in the wrong spot, but is just a place holder as of right now. The legs are in their primary position, as opposed to the extended ones you have in that picture.

800px-Artillerylr.JPG

That's the image I based most of it off, as well as the scenes from the movie.

That's a good attempt Mraz - obviously I know how hard it is to build the AV-7! I'm intrigued to see what you Christophsis battle scene will look like in it's entirety :wink:

It looks like you've used a few construction techniques from the version I built. If you're looking to refine or strengthen any elements of your model I'd be happy to share what I did. For instance, I built the outer 'toes' and lower legs as one unhinged piece as it provides a lot more stability. Also, there are technic pieces at the core of my model which attach the very base of the hull (separate from the side 'shells') to the gun, making it possible for you to build your barrel much longer as the structure can sustain its weight.

Sorry I forgot to mention this in my original post, but you and your MOC were my inspiration for the model. The toes are surprisingly sturdy with the hinge pieces, and when I remake the gun, I will move the box back and reinforce the barrel with the long black technic rods.

Refer to the pic I posted above for the legs. And the barrel, I think you're right, making it 2x2 would work alot better, for size, and those bricks aren't as heavy.

Proportionately Mraz's model's forelegs are about the right length in my opinion, and the upper legs of the AV-7 are telescopic so expand and retract depending on it's stance so these can be any length from fully extended (as per the reference image) to retracted and close to the hull. As well as that it's a repulsorlift vehicle so doesn't actually use them to walk!

The barrel is one of the hardest things to get right on this: at this scale I found it ideally needs to start at 4 x 4 then gently taper across it's entire length to what would be roughly 2 x 2 - which is pretty impossible using LEGO - so it's a case of getting it as close as possible. 2 x 2 for the majority of length would be way too thin at this scale. I'd imagine if LEGO ever did a minifig scale treatment of this they'd have a long molded part for the barrel, or most of it anyway...

Pedro basically explains the legs again, and I do see your point on the barrel. The problem is, most of those needed pieces in 4x4, I either don't have, or LEGO just never made. Nevertheless, I am still working on the barrel design, and I thank you all for your kind comments. :thumbup:

Wow Mraz :cry_happy::wub:

Thats Amazing! I really like it! :thumbup:

I think the 'gun' part could be alittle longer, but it's very nice though :thumbup:

Well done!

CommanderFox

Wow, that looks very similar to the wokipedia version. Great job replicating something without instructions! :thumbup:

Woah, CommanderFox, that's a pretty late post :tongue: ..... But thanks! And as I said back in August (assuming the thing is OK when it gets here) I'm gonna work on the barrel some more. It's pretty hard to make it long enough and wide enough without it toppling over. :tongue:

Thank you all again. :classic:

Woah, CommanderFox, that's a pretty late post :tongue: ..... But thanks! And as I said back in August (assuming the thing is OK when it gets here) I'm gonna work on the barrel some more. It's pretty hard to make it long enough and wide enough without it toppling over. :tongue:

Thank you all again. :classic:

Hey! :tongue: I couldn't help 'reviving' this topic :laugh::grin:

Yes the barrel does need alittle work but its lovely how it is :sweet::thumbup:

Very Well done again!

CommanderFox