Sign in to follow this  
dabulls03

REVIEW: 5972 Space Truck Getaway

I know this set has been out for a while now but it wasn't until a couple of days ago that my local Target store finally put out all of their summer 2009 sets. Seeing as it hasn't been reviewed yet (I think), I decided to buy it and post a review. :classic:

Name: Space Truck Getaway

Set Number: 5972

Theme: Space Police III

Year: 2009

Pieces: 282

Minifigs: 2

Price: $29.99 US

Box, Parts and Instructions

lego2_009.jpg

The front of the box, depicting the usual box art and wanted criminal poster

lego2_010.jpg

Back of the box depicting functions of the set (flick-fire missle, crate opening, and swinging laser turret)

Inside the box we have 4 numbered bags, a medium sized instruction manual, and a sticker sheet. The Instructions, as usual, have the same image as the front of the box.

Random page:

lego2_011.jpg

Contents of the box:

lego_001.jpg

Sticker sheet:

lego_002.jpg

(Sorry for the blur) I think there are about 18 stickers, :sceptic: but they really make the set look better. :classic:

Parts De-bagged:

lego_004.jpg

lots of yellow, bley and black.

Pieces of interest:

lego2_027.jpg

The new flame piece, technic wings, and big yellow panel are new to me :classic:

Minifigs

lego2_001.jpg

Our minifig cast: Snake and Space Cop with reversable head

Space Cop Back without helmet and jetpack:

lego2_002.jpg

Space Cop Side with helmet, jetpack and flick-fire missle launcher:

lego2_007.jpg

Snake Front:

lego2_003.jpg

Snake Front without helmet:

lego2_005.jpg

Snake Back:

lego2_004.jpg

Snake's Awsome Helmet:

lego2_006.jpg

(it deserves its own picture) :tongue:

The Build

We start off with building the frame that will hold up the container and the cab of the space truck

Here is what it looks like at the end of the first bag:

lego2_013.jpg

Next we build the container and add on some detail to the space truck

End of bag two:

lego2_014.jpg

Oh, and it opens to reveal a stolen laser turret :alien:

lego2_015.jpg

The crate is attached to four of those plates with technic pin holes and then is attached via technic pins to the frame

The final stage of the build adds on the thruster engines:

lego2_016.jpg

I wouldn't want to get hit by that space truck :oh3:

lego2_019.jpg

Oops, I spoke to soon... :blush:

lego2_026.jpg

Top View:

lego_023.jpg

The Space truck has quite a large wing-span.

Back view:

lego_022.jpg

Bottom View:

lego2_022.jpg

As you can see, the bottom of the container is open.

Close up on graffiti:

lego2_017.jpg

And the other side:

lego2_018.jpg

Close up of laser turret:

lego_020.jpg

Notice the vandalized police signs and the control panel piece

View of the cockpit from behind:

lego2_028.jpg

The Back of the cockpit isn't closed and is flush with the front wall of the container.

Snake cant reach the steering wheel because he has to lay back in the cockpit because of the low ceiling.

I guess he drives with his feet :sceptic:

Extra Pieces:

lego2_012.jpg

Lots of studs and cheese slopes!

Bonus Pics!!!

Flick-Fire Missle VS Laser Turret

lego2_024.jpg

Crime Doesn't Pay, Just Ask SNAKE'S Face

lego2_025.jpg

Final Thoughts

When I first saw this set in the prelim pics I didn't really like it. The entire set is pretty much taken up by a huge, ugly, yellow crate, and the truck looked like it didn't even have space for a cockpit. However, after learning more about it and seeing it in person, I really like it. I even think that it is one of the best sets in the space police III line. I love the design of the truck; it looks like a rugged semi-truck beefed up for space travel. All the little details on the engines and the cab of the truck and the sticker designs really add to the overall feel of the set. The idea of the set is really neat. A band of space criminals steal a storage crate containing top-secret police technology and use it against the police themselves. The swiveling function of the laser turret and the way the crate opens up are really cool. I would definitly recommend this set.

Ratings:

Minifigs- 8/10 Two minifigs in a $30 set is expected and the minifigs are pretty nice, although they are very common in the Space Police III lineup. The printing on the legs and front and back of the torsos is very detailed and snake's helmet is a must have.

Parts- 10/10 282 pieces is just about right as far as the piece to price ratio goes, especially compare to other $30 sets. The piece selection is nice and many new pieces appear in this set.

Playability- 9/10 Although it would be nice to have a vehicle for the space cop, there are tons of possibilities as far as playability goes. For example, the cop could pull over the space truck and then get surprise-attacked by the "precious cargo."

Price- 10/10 You definitly get your money's worth for this set. Good amount of parts. Good amount of minifigs. :thumbup:

Overall- 9/10 Definitly worth buying :thumbup:

Thanks for reading!

comments, questions and picture requests would be appreciated!

Great review :thumbup: This set should have a vehicle for the cop, at least like the one in Squidman's Escape

drat, I was going to make this review :cry_sad:

good job though... I love this set, and don't mind the huge crate. It's probably the biggest looking set I've ever gotten, (aside from a few sets)

drat, I was going to make this review :cry_sad:

good job though... I love this set, and don't mind the huge crate. It's probably the biggest looking set I've ever gotten, (aside from a few sets)

Don't worry, I'm sure there is still plenty of room for another review :sweet:

I'm glad that you like this set! Its one of my favorites from the Space police III line. :wub:

Excellent review there! I didn't think I would buy any SPIII sets, but I might have to break that. :cry_happy:

Curses Lego, you make too many good sets. :tongue: Oh well, I probably couldn't resist just a sample of the line anyways.

Funny, though. I thought it was originally going to be called Container Heist :wacko: I don't like the new name as much.

Anyways, thanks again for the great review!

That looks awesome. I definitely see myself picking one up. For the cyclops minifig and cool helmet, the giant laser cannon, and the nice yellow bricks. Plus the the truck bricks look awesome and useful.

Thanks a lot for the review. The set isn't quite as good as I thought it would be, but I thought there would be more support under the box. Still, it is a great set, but unfortunately, since I've decided on saving a little more I'm skipping this one over, in favour of getting the Snake minifig in the Impulse set.

To the Brickmobile! :devil:

Excellent Review. I wanted this set the most out of the SPIII sets, but I couldn't find a review for this set here. Maybe because I searched Container Heist, or maybe because this is the first review.

After looking over your review, I've decided to get this or Venice Canal Chase the next time I go shopping.

My beautiful wife just bought me this set :wub:

It really is great; its size does give it the feel of a space semi. Although the crate doesn't have a locking mechanism, it still stays in place quite well. The stickers are great; the graffiti is particularly cool (though I can't make out what the large red one says--is it Snake? Spyrius?), and I like the faded "Cargo" sign and logo--yet another City/Town reference, like the Octan logo on the Skull Twins' jacket.

And, I have to say, Snake is creepily awesome.

I got this set finally after finding it on discount.

Its a good set, but I find the container itself should have gotten more support for the top. Pressing down the top of the container reveals much opportunity for bendiness and perhaps damage. Lego should have given more parts to reinforce the top of the Crate.

On a side note, this could be converted into a Laser/Star Wars Droid carrier!

Again, thanks for the review.

Like the hyper-speed pursuit, I got this set lately for a bargain. I was a bit anxious at first, but now I really like it. Though it has a lot of stickers again, there are a lot of new pieces for my collection and the set itself looks pretty cool. As of now, I am happy that I have it. I like the Minifigs especially.