keetong

Steam vs Modern

Steam vs Modern  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Steam vs Modern

• Steam
    • Modern

traintech1.jpg

Well I'm kind of new to trains, I only stared about a week ago and my first impressions of trains are great.

So I've been trying to build both types of train and it came to my knowledge that I prefer Modern.

So here's my question, steam or modern?

It depends. My future lay-out will be modern. That is mainly because it's easier to build. I prefer already built steam engines, however. Beautiful with the driving rods.

I voted "modern", but that mainly for the reason that these engines are a lot easier to build than the steam colleagues.

Ingenious built steam engines are great to look at though.

I voted for steam from an exhibitor's point of view. Kids love things that move in a layout, and I've found that steam trains are always more popular because of their moving parts (pistons etc.). At exhibitions I've been to, when I've been running a diesel/electric loco, kids have asked me to bring the steam train out. They are more fun for my audience, so I have to say steam. Having said that, I can't build steam trains to save my life. Thank goodness for the word 'lending'! :classic:

I like steam best. It is quite nostalgic. I started at age 2 with the 7710 so that might have fueled my passion for steam.

I voted "modern", but that mainly for the reason that these engines are a lot easier to build than the steam colleagues.

Ingenious built steam engines are great to look at though.

I agree with you on both points.

I voted for steam from an exhibitor's point of view. Kids love things that move in a layout, and I've found that steam trains are always more popular because of their moving parts (pistons etc.).

Thats just given me some great ideas :devil:

I guess it depends how they are displayed. Just imagine putting a steam train in a city, its liking putting a kangaroo in the ocean.

Thats just given me some great ideas :devil:

Such as?

I guess it depends how they are displayed. Just imagine putting a steam train in a city, its liking putting a kangaroo in the ocean.

I don't know - it depends on what period your city is set in, and maybe your city could be having a steam train festival or something. I don't think it really matters - besides:

main7.jpg

I prefer steam trains. The only one I own made by LEGO is the Hogwarts Express, but I hope to get my hands on the Emerald Night soon. Steam are much more beautiful than modern ones, they have interesting designs and I just like it more. I do like the modern trains, like the Santa Fe, by LEGO (although I don't own it). But nothing compares to a beautiful steam engine. And I'm actually also relatively new to LEGO trains, I'm/was just not so that into them. But they have always impressed me.

Edited by Matn

I never designed a train (besides some creatures as a kid) and then it's difficult to start with a steam engine. But if I've built an electrical train (Protos) maybe I'm gonna build one. It's something for experienced builders (unless you build it from instructions).

I prefer modern engines for two reasons.

The first being that if you are building a modern layout, a large number of steam trains(more steam than modern) would look somewhat out of place. And secondly, my steam trains never come out right.

Modern for me.

I am too young for steam engines :wink:

No serious, I have 0 feeling for steam, the more futuristic, the better.

Honestly, I didn't vote for either because I like both equally well for different reasons. I agree that more modern engines tend to 'fit' better on a modern layout. However, steam trains still have their place on even a modern layout just as they do in the 'real world'. Stacy and I use a mix of steam and modern engines to add more depth to our layout and I think it has worked well.

In terms of building, I enjoy steam and modern equally well. They both pose their own challenges, especially when building in 6-wide and I have fun building either.

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

I voted steam, as I like the fact that their functionality determines their shape. This is less true with diesel or electric trains whose shape is more a box which contains the function.

For me?

Steam. No question.

If you've ever stood next to a real-life, coal-fired steam engine while it was operational, and you were positioned close enough to almost touch it as it breathed and hissed even while it sat still, its barely bridled but very visible enthusiasm for motion only momentarily contained and just waiting to be unleashed,...and then the two-tone whistle that was the loudest thing you ever heard blasts its warning as the engineer eases the throttle open and the cylinders chuff and steam is exhaled, and then again, and then again...and with the methodical, repeated churning and turning of the valve gear and driverods acting as the mechanical heartbeat, bringing the engine to life with one piston pushed puff after the other, gaining speed with each wheel rotation, each deep, muscle-powered swoosh of heated air expelling its raw energy,...and if you were standing there smelling the hot, burnt coal, and the feeling the ground rumble in that low pitch that accompanies the movement of such a large creature as it rumbles past you, mere feet away... Well,...if you've experienced that even once, you couldn't possibly NOT be a steam engine fan.

For me?

Steam. No question.

If you've ever stood next to a real-life, coal-fired steam engine while it was operational, and you were positioned close enough to almost touch it as it breathed and hissed even while it sat still, its barely bridled but very visible enthusiasm for motion only momentarily contained and just waiting to be unleashed,...and then the two-tone whistle that was the loudest thing you ever heard blasts its warning as the engineer eases the throttle open and the cylinders chuff and steam is exhaled, and then again, and then again...and with the methodical, repeated churning and turning of the valve gear and driverods acting as the mechanical heartbeat, bringing the engine to life with one piston pushed puff after the other, gaining speed with each wheel rotation, each deep, muscle-powered swoosh of heated air expelling its raw energy,...and if you were standing there smelling the hot, burnt coal, and the feeling the ground rumble in that low pitch that accompanies the movement of such a large creature as it rumbles past you, mere feet away... Well,...if you've experienced that even once, you couldn't possibly NOT be a steam engine fan.

Marry me.

:wink:

Giving me an excellent excuse to plug one of my all time favorite YouTube videos.

--Tony

Edited by SavaTheAggie