WesternOutlaw

Train Tech Building Contest

Looks interesting, and I'm grateful for the structure section, since I have zero train parts. :thumbup: I'll look forward to this one.

this may have been asked/answered already, but does it have to be physically built? or can it be on LDD or something similar?

this may have been asked/answered already, but does it have to be physically built? or can it be on LDD or something similar?

It does have to be physically built, meaning NO digital designs. See question above.

Thanks to everyone that helped in the extension of the competition,I now have to much time on my hands. :laugh:

I've been meaning to say this since it was announced, but thanks to everyone involved for a brilliant contest! It is a spectacular way to launch the new subforum and it is so pleasing to see the involvement of a well-respected Lego group like Railbricks involved in this new initiative. And who wouldn't want a brand new Emerald Express as a prize? :wub::tongue:

I'm not a train builder but I look forward to putting something in for Category 3.

Yay Schmelt! :classic: Thanks for that very nice feedback.

I'm looking forward to seeing your entry.

So no monorails, but trams are allowed? :cry_happy:

If the tram runs on standard Lego track, like a train.

Hi i am working on a new 8 wide train but the bars on the sides and steps to the doors may be 1 or half a stud out of the train, is that ok?

and thank u all for this great contest.

:pir-laugh: cb :pir-wink:

Are you allowed to have something hanging off of an 8-W train that is less than 1 stud, for example a Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Handle (BL# 2921) with the handle extending over 8-W?

Great contest!

Before I start building though, I need some rock solid clarifications concerning the maxiumum allowed width, which is currently stated as "8 studs".

Does the 8 studs refer to all of the engines components? Or, is it just refering to the engine's "main body", or as in the case of steam engines, it's "cab" width?

For steam engines, can the parts that are used in creating the pistons and driverods extend past 8 stud max width? Before answering, I would like to point out that even Lego's Emerald Night has driverods and pistons that stick out to a width of 9 studs+a little extra.

Last question: If running boards are used on a steam engine's boiler, do these also have to be inside the 8 stud max width?

This is going to be lots of fun. I can't wait to see what everyone builds :-)

8 wide? Grrrr! I just finished building an entry in 6 wide! :hmpf_bad:

Would I be allowed to enter 2 models of the same loco, in 2 different widths?

8 wide? Grrrr! I just finished building an entry in 6 wide! :hmpf_bad:

Don't worry, Captain Zuloo! :tongue: The entries may not be wider than 8 studs, so you can make one with a width of six studs. That's what I also am going to do.

Don't worry, Captain Zuloo! :tongue: The entries may not be wider than 8 studs, so you can make one with a width of six studs. That's what I also am going to do.

For sure, but could I also make onein 8 wide with overhang of about 1/2 a stud?

I growled because I was wishing all through the construction phase that I could make it in 8 wide, and now that I'm done, the rules have been changed so that I can! :laugh:

Hi there, first I want to give my congratulations for this contest, it's realy good have contest like this for the train people.

I will participate if nothing goes wrong, and I want to build a load station, but I had been thinking, and possible I have to do a order for my construction, but however, the time to present is long, I will give my best. :thumbup: Good luck for everyone. :classic:

Woah! This is absolutely wonderful! I just have a few questions.

1) Can we submit an entry, and change it per C&C as given until the end date?

2) Could I use the same entry in category two as part of my category one entry?

Thanks very much for this contest, and the prizes are great too :sweet:.

In regards to the "only Lego pieces may be used", can we use minifigure arms/hands or remove the wheels from the wheel hubs?

Edit: For Category One, does it have to be a passenger or cargo train? Or can it be a work train like a MOW or snow-clearing train?

Edited by Randamatrix

Are we allowed to cut piping?(for railings(lego piping))

Are pippings allowed to be on the outside of the 8 stud minimun?

Not being the host of the competition I nevertheless think I can answer the following questions:

Regarding to the thing we need t do for this contest, does it have to have a fulll circuit or does it need a normal 4 straights

It´s just about the buildings or the engines/trains. So 4 straights should be enough. If you don´t have any track - just post the pics without them.

It´s afterall just about the bui... well, you read that. :wink:

In regards to the "only Lego pieces may be used", can we use minifigure arms/hands or remove the wheels from the wheel hubs?

Yep! You may use everything in your kitchen to build the MOC (scissors, can opener, microwave....) But it must not be part of it! The final model has to be made of Lego only.

(Ok, forget about the microwave then...):grin:

Edit: For Category One, does it have to be a passenger or cargo train? Or can it be a work train like a MOW or snow-clearing train?

It can even be a super-dooper-space-future-rocket-train. Build whatever you like. Your imagination is the limit.

Yes. See above.

Now come on! How much space do you need? :sceptic:

I´d say No. But I leave the answer open to TheBrickster.

Not being the host of the competition I nevertheless think I can answer the following questions:

It´s just about the buildings or the engines/trains. So 4 straights should be enough. If you don´t have any track - just post the pics without them.

It´s afterall just about the bui... well, you read that. :wink:

Yep! You may use everything in your kitchen to build the MOC (scissors, can opener, microwave....) But it must not be part of it! The final model has to be made of Lego only.

(Ok, forget about the microwave then...):grin:

It can even be a super-dooper-space-future-rocket-train. Build whatever you like. Your imagination is the limit.

Yes. See above.

Now come on! How much space do you need? :sceptic:

I´d say No. But I leave the answer open to TheBrickster.

Thank you holodoc for the information given, may it just be a train station structure

Thank you holodoc for the information given, may it just be a train station structure

Yep. Category 3 is for trackside structures and buildings, so put your train station in category 3. :pir-wink:

Also, with the change to 8-wide, is it possible to have railings etc. slightly outside the 8 stud limit on an 8-wide model? Just that it was when we were allowed to build a 6-wide MOC.

Are you allowed to have something hanging off of an 8-W train that is less than 1 stud, for example a Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Handle (BL# 2921) with the handle extending over 8-W?

Yes, allowed.

Does the 8 studs refer to all of the engines components? Or, is it just refering to the engine's "main body", or as in the case of steam engines, it's "cab" width?

The main body must be no wider than 8-studs. A piece or part may extend a little wider.

For steam engines, can the parts that are used in creating the pistons and driverods extend past 8 stud max width? Before answering, I would like to point out that even Lego's Emerald Night has driverods and pistons that stick out to a width of 9 studs+a little extra.

Yes, allowed - just like the Emerald Night.

If running boards are used on a steam engine's boiler, do these also have to be inside the 8 stud max width?

Allowed, but again, the main unit must be no wider than 8-studs.

No, one entry per person, per category, unless one of them is used for Category 1 with rolling stock, and the other for Category 2.

For section 1, is it allowed to have a small station platform or loading dock similar to most official Lego sets like in set 7735?

Not part of the judging, but if you want to add for your picture, sure.

1) Can we submit an entry, and change it per C&C as given until the end date?

2) Could I use the same entry in category two as part of my category one entry?

1) As I am predicting quite a few entries, only final entries should be submitted.

2) No. The main contest rules mention this. Each category entry must be different. You can't enter the engine for Category 2 in Category 1.

Regarding to the thing we need t do for this contest, does it have to have a fulll circuit or does it need a normal 4 straights

Tracks are not required, but can be added in your picture.

Yes, as these are Lego pieces.

For Category One, does it have to be a passenger or cargo train? Or can it be a work train like a MOW or snow-clearing train?

Passenger, cargo, or other.

Yes and yes.

Also, with the change to 8-wide, is it possible to have railings etc. slightly outside the 8 stud limit on an 8-wide model? Just that it was when we were allowed to build a 6-wide MOC.

Yes, you can.

I think I've addressed all the questions. If I've missed one, please ask again.