Sign in to follow this  
ReZourceman

REVIEW - 8709 Underground Mining Station - Power Miners

8709 Underground Mining Station.

51.80 GBP

Two manuals.

IMGP1334.jpg

There are 4 bags, I believe. Here are the minifigures, and the large rock monster.

I'm not a big fan of these monsters, but at least this one is in my favourite colour. :)

IMGP1337.jpg

This nice little digger is a cool build, and the Power Miners finally have a small vehicle. :)

IMGP1339.jpg

The rest is fairly self explanatory, so I'll explain more at the end, after these pictures.

IMGP1341.jpg

IMGP1343.jpg

IMGP1344.jpg

IMGP1346.jpg

IMGP1347.jpg

IMGP1349.jpg

IMGP1350.jpg

IMGP1351.jpg

IMGP1351.jpg

Now here is the crystal transportation device. It is quite and ingenious little contraption.

IMGP1351.jpg

Winding the big cog/wheel pulls the thread attached to the container on the line.

IMGP1354.jpg

The container has an elastic band holding up the bottom. When the tug is pulled, it puts pressure on the band, and thus tips the container.

IMGP1358.jpg

And falls out the bottom!

IMGP1359.jpg

Then it gently rolls back into position.

IMGP1361.jpg

IMGP1362.jpg

IMGP1366.jpg

Soooo, its nicely built, fairly sturdy, certainly looks impressive and industrial, and the contraption is great! Flick missiles are of course, fail but other than that its a great set.

Value - Not too bad value! 4/5

Minifigs - Not bad. Nothing special though. 3/5

Playability - Good contraption. 4/5

Fun to build? - Yes it was. Little repetition, and some good elements. 4/5

Overall - 4/5

Edited by ReZourceman

Thanks for the review, but just to let you know, about half of the pictures in the review are duplicates. :wink:

Edited by Strikerâ„¢

Great review. I actually never new this set existed until now, but it doesn't really looks all that appealing to me :sceptic:

Would it be possible to get a close-up of the piece on the front of the little digger vehicle that the scoop attaches to? It looks like a new piece to me.

Thanks!

Would it be possible to get a close-up of the piece on the front of the little digger vehicle that the scoop attaches to? It looks like a new piece to me.

I don't think it is, but rather two separate pieces. I think they were used as older bike handlebar pieces.

Thanks for the review. Before reading this I was under the impression that the dump bed was pushed down by the orange pieces on either side of the receptacle.

Thanks for the review!

I don't understand why this set costs $80 USD. It looks like all you can do is fire flick-fire missiles, transport the crystals in a never-ending circle, and fling rocks at the buildings with the large rock monster. :sceptic:

The set also looks really empty...

I would much rather get a set like Temple of the Crystal Skull (which I did today for 50% off), since it has more play features, and around 300 more pieces, for the same price.

Yeah its not the most insanely impressive set ever, but it does look nice, and that big wheel spinning around does look cool.

I got Cave Crusher too. Review soon, but....I don't know if the place I bought it have priced it incorrectly but it might be the worst Power Miners set.

Its very boring, and small for the price (38 GBP) which is the same as Crystal Sweeper. And LEGO are so stingy on certain bits (like the wheels being held together by only one pin on one side, rather than two) etc.

Nice review.

I also picked this set up and think it is really slick. The only problem I have with it is that the bucket on the wire doesn't go back far enough to the lower station for the Power Miners to reach. There is a dark gray platform on the ground level that looks like it would be perfect for loading/unloading, if only the bucket went back that far.

Looking forward to the Cave Crusher review. It really does look like one of the best Power Miners sets for 2009.

MLB

Great review of a cool looking set! So the Cave Crusher is pretty bad? I thought it looked okay from the pics...

Great review of a cool looking set! So the Cave Crusher is pretty bad? I thought it looked okay from the pics...

Its just very boring. probably the worst Power Miners set. I will get the review up soon.

As for price, I noticed it is on LEGO.com now, and its 5GBP cheaper than what I bought it for, however I'd still say even at that price it is way over priced. Definitely should be nearer the 25 GBP price range.

Great review! I kind of like the set, the base has some nice features and it's not too big or gaudy (At least for PM) but that price...darnit.

Thanks for the nice review, Zourceman. :thumbup:

While this set is a bit overpriced (much like most of the big power miners sets), it still is very nice. The functions are excellent, the model looks good, and it comes with a really cute little automated vehicle. The only thing I'm upset about is that, as I stated in another topic, the kit really could have benifited from a big rock monster in an exclusive color. That would have made this kit truly "exclusive," and would also probably justify the price in the minds of many. Alas, this did not happen, however. :sadnew:

Its just very boring. probably the worst Power Miners set. I will get the review up soon.

Worse than the slapped together Rock Wrecker and the gosh-awful Crystal King? I'm not so certain about that.... :tongue:

Edited by Grevious

I love the industrial look but hate the price if it were cheaper I'd buy one, heck I'd buy two and convert it to the aquazone theme :cry_happy:

This nice little digger is a cool build, and the Power Miners finally have a small vehicle. :)

IMGP1339.jpg

finally?

what about this set?

Or this one?

I liked your review though.

I might get this set if I have enough money.

Edited by saberwing

Hmmmmmmmmmmm,im still not convinced on this set,we've got every other PM set but decided against buying this one as its almost £70 in my area and i cant see where the money is going,looks way too flimsy and defo needs more for the money i think!