I modified it according to this instructions and it works, but not perfectly, so I plan to re-do it in a simpler, more effective way.

The problem is that the designer had (in order to keep fake piston engine) routed the drive for steering motor around whole back of the excavator, through several universal joints and gears. Drive from motor is direct, so all those joints and gears move at full M-motor speed. Drive is also too high for linear actuator to effectively fold the excavator (which takes a lot more power than normal steering) and even if it does it it's fast for precise steering. LA also has too limited horizontal movement freedom and it bumps into surrounding beams too fast (I fixed that with small modification).

I also tried building version without LA, but It didnt work at all, because M motor directly drives worm gear which turns 24T gear and folds the loader. Because less than 90 degrees rotation of this gear is needed for full side to side turn, the gear ratio is again too high for the system to work.

4 wheel drive works ok, but it's a little to "jumpy", because XL motor is attached directly to diferential (without any gear reduction). After it manages to move it's ok, but again too fast and too hard to steer (because of above mentioned problems with not enough geared down LA). I solved this partialy with variable speed remote control, but since its meant for trains it's too difficult to control, so I plan to remove fakes piston engine and install gear reductions for both driving and folding motors. XL motor is also mounted without proper fixation (probably because of intention to use as much original parts as possible) and it tends to loose it's surrounding beams after few "jumpy" starts, which causes gears to skip. I fixed that with use of large "T" shaped 1/2 width beams instead of originaly planned small "L" beams.

Both lifting functions work flawless and it's really fun to operate them simoultaneously.

Please dont get me wrong: instructions for motorization are great and I really admire the designer which managed to put in additional two M-motors and even one large XL motor and kept all main parts of original model. But to achieve this he had to make some compromises which make operating the model a little to difficult (at least for me, some of you might have different impressions)

"Folding" LA and motor above differential:

100_6713.jpg

Modified beams to give LA more space (it moves left/right when it folds the loader and in original design this "L" beam was one beam width closer to it and LA bumped into it too soon)

100_6708.jpg

Drive for "folding" LA: from M-motor, through two U-joints, onto three 16 tooth gears:

100_6710.jpg

To the other side, again thru two U-joints finally to folding LA. Too complicated and too direct.

100_6713.jpg

Front motor is very well integrated:

100_6704.jpg

The other two M-motors lay side to side with folding LA in the middle of loader (just bottoms can be seen here).

100_6707.jpg

Finished model looks exacetly as original model and it's really hard to beleive that all those motors were added. It look and works really great with 8275 and 8403 in its great fun to have whole "construction site" fully RC powered.

100_6703.jpg

Edited by Cwetqo

Thanks for the information :) I had already figured out that it would be easy to add a XL motor in the front to drive the differential directly, but I was still wondering how to add the three M-motors for steering and lifting/tilting the bucket. I have plenty of ideas now..

Guys, sorry for bumping up old thread, but I'd just finished building my 8265 (will be PF-ed soon) and noticed I have two extra gears left. A 20t bevel gear (tan) and one worm gear. I had gone through each steps to see if I missed anything..but none to my knowledge. The only use of a tan 20t bevel gear is on the front LA for the bucket. Worm gear..remains a mystery.

Is there any particular use of these leftover gears on the stock model, or are they just mere 'extras'? Thanks

Edited by Out of Sight

Guys, sorry for bumping up old thread, but I'd just finished building my 8265 (will be PF-ed soon) and noticed I have two extra gears left. A 20t bevel gear (tan) and one worm gear. I had gone through each steps to see if I missed anything..but none to my knowledge. The only use of a tan 20t bevel gear is on the front LA for the bucket. Worm gear..remains a mystery.

Is there any particular use of these leftover gears on the stock model, or are they just mere 'extras'? Thanks

The worm gear might be used for the grappling claw of the B model.

Thanks for the review!

Just picked this set up for €49 at a local retail store - it was their last unit, stuffed between boxes of more recent models. They obviously wanted to get rid of it, and I happily relieved them of their burden :cry_happy:

Really looking forward to building this. My last big Technic model was 8479 Barcode Truck, so its been a while... :classic:

Thanks for the review!

Just picked this set up for €49 at a local retail store - it was their last unit, stuffed between boxes of more recent models. They obviously wanted to get rid of it, and I happily relieved them of their burden :cry_happy:

Really looking forward to building this. My last big Technic model was 8479 Barcode Truck, so its been a while... :classic:

You'll really enjoy the build. It is especially worth it at that price. I think it is a shame that some toy shops hold out on full price on models going back 18 months or more.

This was my second set after the 8051 & a 20 year+ dark age...I was speechless when I was in half the building process, it really is fun to put together.

Just finished... very nice build. :classic:

I'm probably going to get the motor, moving the bucket manually gets old fast. The steering seems kind of stiff - I find it much easier to just grip the loader by the cabin and steer by applying some rotational force.

This was my second set after the 8051 & a 20 year+ dark age...I was speechless when I was in half the building process, it really is fun to put together.

It's my second set too - I bought Mindstorms a couple of weeks ago and have been hooked since (I also learned that NXT motors are nice, but also huge and very hard to integrate into normal models ...).

I started to build this model tonight(my first technic model assembly), just finished the 1st booklet instruction...I'm excited to finish the model!

bought it for about $80 (on sale in a toy store)...I wonder what's the price they were selling it when it was issued before..

bought it for about $80 (on sale in a toy store)...I wonder what's the price they were selling it when it was issued before..

www.brickset.com lists the original retail price as $79.99 USD/74.99 BP

www.brickset.com lists the original retail price as $79.99 USD/74.99 BP

thanks! atleast I didn't pay a premium for those hard to get discontinued sets.. I checked on eBay and bnew sets goes for about $150-$200 nowadays

Edited by francisalmario

thanks! atleast I didn't pay a premium for those hard to get discontinued sets.. I checked on eBay and bnew sets goes for about $150-$200 nowadays

Yeah! Great find. I'm still looking for one. :sceptic:

Kronos, try Frome Model Centre.

I don't know if he posts internationally, but mine shipped yesterday at RRP :grin:

Give him a ring, might be worth it.

Disclaimer: he's nothing to do with me, but I use him for 82xx series kits, as he's always a year behind with sets, and has plenty.

@ jantjeuh: Here's a

outlining Sarafiel's instructions for motorizing the 8265 Wheel Loader:

h_8265_pf_ins_final_001.jpg8265_pf_la_ins_final_001.jpg

Hi DLuders,

Sorry to ask an old question but what is the difference between the two RC modifications, #4 or #5?

And which is the best between the two?

thanks!

Well I have just bought the loader from a member on eurobricks,I will be motorizing mine too. :classic:

The difference between the two kits is that one uses worm gears to steer and the other one uses La's. ( I am building the La steering version) :sweet:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Well I have just bought the loader from a member on eurobricks,I will be motorizing mine too. :classic:

The difference between the two kits is that one uses worm gears to steer and the other one uses La's. ( I am building the La steering version) :sweet:

thanks! so it must be the LA version the better of the two

Edited by francisalmario

Yes, it is, I built first version with worm gear and it was not performing well.

LA version steers nicely, but problem remains in too high transmission ratio from XL motor. So loader is too fast and not powerful enough. But this is true for both version of this modification. I have plans to remove fake motor and incorporate gears for reduction of speed.

A slightly larger, fully RC'd flagship-style version with 9398-sized rolling stock might be in order. A little extra space might help in resolving some of the current dislikes. I would love to see one from TLG next year. :classic: