Sign in to follow this  
Cale

MOC: Maryland & Pennsylvania Passenger Train

traintech1.jpg

Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Train

For those of you who attended Brickworld this year you may have already seen these. I’m playing catch up on photographing my backlog of MOCs so here is you’re chance to finally see them in more detail.

3763565377_990b22191b.jpg

Ma & Pa #6

This one has been posted before but she plays an important role with the passenger cars and I’ve recently taken better photos of her and put them up on Flickr.

3763582765_b041aa62e2.jpg

Ma & Pa “Jackson and Sharp” Passenger Coaches

The Maryland & Pennsylvania RR purchased 10 coaches built by A.C.F. Jackson and Sharp Works, Wilmington Del built between 1902 and 1913.

The Ma & Pa’s passenger cars were originally painted Tuscan Red with Aluminum lettering. Starting around 1914 the Ma & Pa began painting it’s passenger cars in Pullman Green with chrome yellow lettering. Many of these coaches made it to the end of passenger service on the Ma & Pa in 1954.

Sister Coach #20 has been preserved is now part of the vintage passenger car fleet at the Strasburg Railroad. Today she wares Strasburg colors similar to the Ma & Pa’s original passenger paint scheme.

3763569621_01a83fec0a_m.jpg3764369052_d38f65fb76_m.jpg

Passenger Coach Flickr Gallery

Ma & Pa Baggage RPO #35

N0. 35 was originally built in 1906 as baggage car #42 at the Ma & Pa’s shops in Baltimore. In 1942 a Railway Post Office compartment was installed and the car was renumbered to #35.

Baggage RPO #35 carried milk, mail, newspapers, express, packages, and baggage between York, Pennsylvania and Baltimore, Maryland. Its short 50 1/2 foot length was dictated by the Ma & Pa’s sharp curves. #35 worked another 12 years before the Ma & Pa discontinued passenger service.

Upon her retirement in 1954 she was donated to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum. Today #35 can be seen on display in the historic round house and her interior is open for public viewing.

3763568319_5e64c47d41.jpg

Baggage RPO #35 Flickr Gallery

Cale

Wow! These are truly fantastic MOCs Cale. I think you can fit train builders into two distinct categories, those that build incredibly detailed creations like these; and the other who create very basic/classic style Lego trains (like me). You are definately in the first category.

I absolutely love the passenger wagons that are so reminiscent of classic American train engines. The colors are perfect for these wagons, and the detailing superb. These actually make the Emerald Night's passenger wagon look like a lesser model. In fact, they don't even look like Lego, but rather like detailed HO or O-scale trains.

I'm going to take a little time and look at these terrific MOCs to appreciate all the fine details.

This post definately deserves a spot in Train Tech. Fantastic! :thumbup:

Wow! I love these Pennsylvania coaches, I saw them on Brickshelf and wondered who they belong to. Amazing work, it truly is. I love your bogie design, you turned a usually 6 stud wide bogie into 8 studs wide, something that I'm planning on doing with my Emerald Night cars - when I buy some more of them!

And the loco is great too - you should build an entire railway with these things. :classic::thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words guys. The Ma & Pa is one of my home town railroads and a favorite of mine. It was a railroad loaded with charm and I really wanted these models to capture some of that.

Cale