Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOC: Train Town 3

traintech1.jpg

With the addition of my train shelves, I was able to free up some conjestion on the old train table in addition to loosing 16 pieces of track now used on the shelves. I had to reconfigure Train Town yet again to this most recend version that is a bit more open than before. For "playability", it's actually better to have more open space for swooshing cars, hosting mysteries, etc.

So, my latest version of Train Town:

tt1.jpg

This layout is more symmetric with building being more evenly spread out. In the center is the new train station, which I really like:

tt2.jpg

To the left is Main Street and this time, I didn't add any additional roadplates that always end up "lifting" the tracks. To the right is the "friendly farm" (maybe a little close, but it could be a country town (perhaps even Willoughby)):

tt3.jpg

The middle section again with station:

tt4.jpg

To the right is the large Train Engine Shed placed at an angle. I tried placing this at an angle before, which I actually like (not everything needs to be square). Nearby is a small train yard with cargo and forklifts:

tt5.jpg

While Train Town is a collection of many train sets and a few structures, it is a MOC in the sense of building a larger layout with each of the components. It's very enjoyable to move things around placing them around the track as one builds a town. If I changes one thing, it would be to turn the Engine Shed to show the doors toward the front as opposed to the back (still at an angle).

Comments welcome.

Great work TheBrickster! I'm really loving your variations on your town. The poor citizens of Train Town will never learn their way around if you keep changing it! I like the way the train shed is at an angle - it gives the layout some realism. LEGO is square, so a non squared structure as a major feature is a nice change. I was a tad upset to not see the crocodile on the tracks, but with your classy new shelves it gives you the option of running trains more freely and switching them around at any time. :classic:

And the train yard has no tracks? :sceptic:

Great work TheBrickster, kepp up all these train creations! :thumbup:

Great layout, Brickster. If I were a minifig, I'd definitely want to live in Train Town, although I am concerned that the presence of a "friendly" farm hints at the existence of an "unfriendly" farm. Cue Twilight Zone music... The big dark red building looks gorgeous!

That's a very nice layout, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I really like all those classic and even the more modern sets!

But I must say that I personally prefered your last layout where you put the farm a bit away from the inner city and where you used the Grand Central Station (which I like much more than that new Train Station which is firstly that little and secondly does include nearly no interior).

Otherwise: Very nice!

I esp. like the :wub: enginge shed and all those additional train sets which look really :oh: !

Btw: Why don't you add the stickers to the Farm, the Main Street and the Truck?

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I like it!

The playability is outstanding on your little layout!

The only minor thing that I would change though would to put baseplates under the entire layout, hide all the wood of the table (but thats just my opinion).

I like the new arrangement for Tabletown. The simpler track design definitely gives you more space to work with, and I like the fact that the engine shedd is on an angle, as that's something you don't see too often. However, this new layout with few road sections and lots of wood showing seems incomplete. There is plenty of space for a few more buildings, but if you don't have any, a green sheet over the table would help to hide the brown and make the layout seem a bit more cohesive. Will be watching for future updates.