Sign in to follow this  
fenrir

REVIEW: Viking Boat vs. Wyvern Dragon (7016)

indexed.gif

booklet.jpg

Name: Viking Boat vs. Wyvern Dragon

Set: 7016

Theme: Viking

Year: 2005

Pieces: 112

Minifigs: 2

Price: MSRP $10.00, 10.00 euro

Peeron

This must be the set that ended my dark age.

I remember walking in the toy-section of a store in 2005, when I saw this set I coudln´t resist it. When I saw the Viking helmets I just had to buy it.

Box, parts and instructions:

The first picture is from the instructions. I think i threw the box away a couple of years ago. Fortunately there´s a Peeron link under de specs. so we´re still able to see how the box looked like. And there´s a list of the parts.

Here´s a random picture of the instructions:

instruc..jpg

I realy like the image in the right corner of the instructions.

instru.jpg

The most interesting parts are the shields. They´re not printed, so you need to assemble some stickers to complete this set. Here are the four shields:

shield1.jpg

shield2.jpg

shield3.jpg

shield_4.jpg

Minifigs:

There are 2 Viking minifigs in the set.

They´re not rare, but nevertheless nice.

minifig.jpg

I like this one the most. Battle ready and a big axe in his hands.

mean.jpg

The model:

The dragon is realy good, considering the amount of pieces it contains.

dragon_2.jpg

Correct me if I´m wrong, but it´s wings are only seen in this set. I like the colors they used! The same colors as it´s older brother Ofnir from set 7021

dragon.jpg

The boat design is simple but effective. it looks good and it doesn´t break easily.

boat.jpg

boatcrew.jpg

And some pictures of the final product:

attack2.jpg

attack.jpg

above.jpg

Overall rating:

Minifigs: 8/10. The minifigs are not rare, but they are looking good. The viking helmet is great, and the torso prints are realy nice. The boat is not that big so 2 minifigs is a good amount for this set.

Parts: 8/10. The shields are looking good, although they are not printed. You get 2 nice minifigs, the dragon Wyvern and it´s wonderful wings and 2 useful brown boats .

Playability: 7/10. The boat is well built, Wyvern however is not that solid. It´s wings may fall off. So putting the wings the right way may become a little bit annoying in the end. But there is at least a dragon to fight in this set.

Price: 8/10. 2 minifigs and 112 pieces isn´t that bad for that price. ( Most 10 euro sets with 2 minifigs contain around 85 pieces)

Overall: 7.8/10. It´s a nice little set with some good parts at a good price. You should be able to get it second hand for about $10.

For ending my dark age, I´ll personally give this set a 10/10 rating.

Fenrir.

I think this was the set that ended my dark age too! :laugh:

The Viking theme was great, despite being very historically inaccurate (Vikings did not have horned helmets! :tongue: ). I really like the minifigs torsos and the shields. This was the only set in the theme that contained an surplus of shields which I found very useful. The construction of the boat was very clever and nicely done. I didn't care much for the dragon but it's not bad either.

I give the set 8/10, I would buy it again if I got the chance :thumbup:

hi fenrir,

thx for the nice review. for me it was star wars that ended my dark ages, but just bought 7 vikings... they are great (maybe even better than star wars :cry_sad: )... i think, tey won't be my last...

Thanks for the review Fenrir.

I think this is a good set for the price. Even though the beast isn't particularly impressive, you get two figures and lots of accessories, along with a decent boat. I do wish this came with a sail though, the empty mast just looks odd to me with nothing on it.

I am seriously regretting not buying any Viking sets. I think it was the technic looking monsters... I think this set looks empty without a sail though a well designed sail could have made this a good $15 set instead of a mediocre $10 set.

I liked this set, I liked it a lot. Shame it had to be disassembled so soon after I got it; that ship's mast piece makes a too perfect of a Trebuchet arm to be ignored.

-Nuju Metru

Thanks for the review! :thumbup:

I don't have any Viking sets (they were all released during my Dark Age). This one looks cool, only the dragon is a bit wierd for my taste.

The most interesting parts are the shields. They´re not printed, so you need to assemble some stickers to complete this set.

That's bad. :thumbdown: I don't like stickers in LEGO sets.

This was always my favourate viking set because the design always looked so appealing. Its a relatively good sized set and I like how TLG connected the two boats together, I would have liked it if they would have had a few more accessorries and a sail but its a good set 8/10. :classic: