Sign in to follow this  
The Middleman

PHOTO REVIEWS: Thunder Fury & Grand Titan

indexed.gif

NOTE ON STICKERS: The sticker sheets for all of these sets are bigger than any piece in the set. Placing them is painstaking and aggravating, and would tilt my review so much that I didn't even bother factoring them in. There are so many in each set that they have to devote 2-3 pages showing where to place them, complete with corresponding numbering on the sticker sheet. It's bad. Still, don't let that completely dissuade you; stickers can always be left off.

These two I enjoyed much more, so they'll be more upbeat reviews. Enjoy.

THUNDER FURY

100_0081_r1.jpg

The Fig

100_0085.jpg

Same as the other silver one, just trans-red on the torso. Still love those arms.

The Thunder Fury

The Foot

Fairly standard.

The Legs

I like them, although they are a bit thin - that's consistent with all the mechs so far.

The... Stomach?

Sorry for the blurry pic. Another nifty little binocular construction, albeit less neat than the other. I like it.

100_0086.jpg

This is pretty cool.

The Gun

Less cool than I thought it would be, but still pretty awesome. Note that the tube is SOLID, without a hollowed interior, and trans-clear. I love these things!

The Sword

One big <insert that tiresome argument> hunk of crap.

The Back

The bar on the back, when pulled, lights up the tube. Additionally, the cone on top next to the tube, if pushed down, knocks the light brick out of the mech.

100_0090.jpg

Try and tell me that's not cool.

FINAL VERDICT: 7.4/10

Fig: 6/10

Pieces: 8/10

Set: 8/10

Playability: 8/10

I like it! Worth the $20, except maybe only one fig. A little hard to pose, but useful pieces, very playable... not the greatest, but definitely not the worst.

GRAND TITAN

100_0091.jpg

The Fig

100_0094.jpg

The best torso of the figs I've seen. Very usable.

The Titan

The Foot

I wish they'd change up the feet a little.

The Stomach

Neat, no awesome gun like the other, but a much better cockpit.

The Cockpit

Great little compartment.

The Claw

Eh... <insert that tiresome argument>.

The Gun

Now THIS is cool. It spins, and - what else - gets lit up by the tube!

The Back

Best of the lot.

100_0099.jpg

Awesome.

FINAL VERDICT: 7.7/10

Fig: 8/10

Pieces: 7/10

Set: 8/10

Playability: 9/10

It's my surprise favorite so far. Definitely worth the $15 in my books, and well worth picking up. Go for it!

Hmmm...I'm thinking the Thunder Fury would fit in very well with Ogel's forces...

Which is just as well since the Alpha Team figures are going to be driving the Humans' mechs at my house nuts.GIF

I might get one of these Mechs. I was also thinking of getting the Gata Assault, but I've just been put off by your review :|

I might get one or two of the smaller mechs as well.

Both the Thunder Fury and the Grand Titan look like more powerful mechs than Fire Vulture and Stealth Hunter...

Anyways, the light up things look cool. I'm somewhat dissapointed that the human pilot has to stand on his mecha(Can you imagine if he has to be there for a long time?). I like the scuba minifig guns used as antennae on the Thunder Fury set, as well as the fromt binocular "guns".

@Kotua

I think the purpose for the weaponry on these two is because they're supposed to be the heavy-weights of the team, while the other two are faster and more manuverable, allowing a balence of closerange and long range assaults.

Anyways, thanks for the reviews! Too bad about the stickers though. I really wished they were printed on the bricks. But considering I build Gundams, the stickering should be too bad...

wow! im gonna buy uplink & sentry instead though! and did anybody notice the name change for ryo in uplink? his name has been changed to "Jin" weird huh. look on legoshop!

Here is a pic of the Thunder Fury's alternate model: the Fire Fury ;)

Sorry for the crappy pic, this one didn't turn any good even after more than 10 shots *wacko* ;)

post-23-1135691744.jpg

I have a question about the alternate models for the mechas. Does the instruction booklet that comes with the set include the step by step instructions on how to build the alternate model?

Thanks,

LegoBMW

I've just built the Grand Titan, and I think it's great. However, did anyone else have problems with the guns on the top? I couldn't get the black lightsaber blades through dark grey rocket pieces, and had to resort to using a hammer to force them through in the end. My i just had some dodgy pieces?

On the Grand titan, are the red pieces on the legs all printed or stickered parts?

Also are these sets out in the UK at the moment (eg. available in toys r us)?

All designs in all Exo-force sets are stickers

This is unfortunately very true :'(

KimT

Even though the stickers, I must say these sets rock! Even the BIG one-piece melee weapons are nice, if used right.

Oh and Bloody Jay; Hardcore mecha fans will kill you for saying "stomach" instead of "torso". :P

(ROFL had to edit my post because of wierd censor)

Here is a pic of the Thunder Fury's alternate model: the Fire Fury ;)

Sorry for the crappy pic, this one didn't turn any good even after more than 10 shots *wacko* ;)

Wow!That mech should have been put in Mechwarrior 4:Vengeance!!!!

I couldn't get the black lightsaber blades through dark grey rocket pieces,

Same with me. But in the end they got a bit looser and thinner. (After I ripper them out) Other wise Grand Titan is a pretty good mech. The machine gun is way cool, and the pinchers are crap. But overall, very good, and playable.

Thanks Bloody Jay for the review. ;)

I just got the Grand Titan and I must say that red is an awesome colour to use for a mech. I didn't like the sword though - it didn't grab as it should. So I added a rubber band and now it can hold a Sentry :wub: . But I really hate those darn stickers...The make me wanna dress like a ninja and assasinate the man who said "Hey! Let's save money by using stickers instead of printing the bricks :biggrin: " :ninja:

KimT

EXO FORCE RULES!