Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOC: Classic Green Boxcar

traintech1.jpg

After seeing AJW's fantastic classic 12V scrapyard train with yellow boxcar from 7735, I thought I would have to try building one. With no yellow train doors and windows, I tried building one using green pieces.

So, created based on 7735 Freight Train set from 1985, I give you a classic green boxcar. It's definately not as good as the original yellow boxcar, but I don't think it's too bad.

I love the ladder up the right side leading to a small top section with railing:

gb1.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to use both clear and trans. blue windows:

gb2.jpg

The classic green boxcar pulled by my little red shunter:

gb3.jpg

And what might be the "special cargo" in this green boxcar? Try GOLD!

gb4.jpg

Comments welcome.

You are quite the builder. Your designs are quite simple yet effective, and the discoloured windows don't show that much. The only thing I can recommend to make it better is if you add a sticker to it. Overall nice MOC :classic:

Yet again TheBrickster, another nice train MOC. :thumbup: If you and Dave keep this up, we'll need a seperate train forum!

I love the ladder at the back of the car, it adds a nice touch of realism to it. I think it could be improved if you got rid of the windows and replaced them with green brick (maybe even add a sticker there like keetong suggested) because freight wagons wouldn't have windows. If you decide to keep the windows there, the different shades of glass don't stand out. I didn't notice them until I read it.

Now I just need to get me some of those doors and I can build my own boxcar! :classic:

Wonderful work TheBrickster, I really admire your ability to whip up quality train MOC after quality train MOC without losing enthusiasm. Don't stop building em mate. :wink:

Nice recreation of the classy, yellow boxcar, TheBrickster. While it looks nice, there are two details I personally would have changed: the wheelbase, which IMO should be two studs shorter. The shorter wheelbase reduces friction in corners, and is also closer in design to the original as well as all other short cars LEGO has had designed.

That, and removing one pair of windows. Having two pairs of 1x2x3 windows makes makes one of the pair look tacked on - I would have used regular 1x2 bricks here instead.

That's about it. And I'm sure it would look great at the end of a train full of classic recreations!

Nice replica, although the green looks kinda weird. But maybe it's the lighting. What I like most, though, is the minifig. It reminds me of the 1980s and the catalogs from back then. They used to be everywhere, always busy, and always building some new track segment:

baxw60pr9mn0fugsi.jpgbaxw6bode72pvvuki.jpg

baxwa94fc8u4avddu.jpgbaxwa2hzukgvnm3r6.jpg

baxw9x709ru6knwci.jpgbaxw58u5y15jm23cy.jpg

That green boxcar looks great to me Brickster, I suppose it could do with green sliding doors but they probably don't exist :cry_sad:

I really love the classic 12v fig guarding the gold, is he keeping it safe from marauding gangs of outlaws?

That catalogue from 1980 must be the finest ever produced by Lego. I remember it like it was yesterday :cry_happy:

Great work Brickster! :thumbup: :thumbup: I'm really enjoying the revival and revision of classic 80's train sets that you started! Keep these coming. I think the green works to modernize this boxcar. It's almost like maybe it was in service in the original colors in the 80's and then through the 90's it sat on a siding not really doing much of anything. One day...The Brickster saw it and decided he has to preserve the history of LEGO Trains. So he brought back from the dead, modernized a little, and voila!

And I too love the little ladder and the gold inside the car. It adds so much playability to this creation. Thanks for working on this one Brickster. Love it!

baxwa94fc8u4avddu.jpg

Oh...and Hobbes. This catalog image is THE one that made me get into LEGO Trains in the first place back in the 80's. Even today my heart skips a beat when I see this picture. Thanks for posting them.

-Dave

ToT-LUG

Thanks for the feedback and constructive criticism. I wasn't particularly fond of the double windows either. I replaced one with some 1x2 green log bricks and must say that I like it better.

I personally would have changed: the wheelbase, which IMO should be two studs shorter. The shorter wheelbase reduces friction in corners, and is also closer in design to the original as well as all other short cars LEGO has had designed.

Freddie mentioned the length of the wheel base needing to be two studs less. After attempting to change the wheels to classic-style, I realized that the distance is only 1/2 stud difference. I could bring the 9V wheel trucks in one stud, which would make it 1/2 shorter than the original set, but I like the look of the wheels closer to the buffer, as opposed to further away.

I ran out of ink on my color printer, otherwise I would have added a "DB" decal on the door. I know that I've said this before, but it truly is fun to build these classic 12V sets. I really missed out on these during the early 80s.

Here's the revised version:

gb6.jpg

gb7.jpg