Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Fun with Flatbeds

traintech1.jpg

flatbedfun.jpg

Do you have an extra long train baseplate and a few extra train wheels available?

Run out of bricks for that favorite boxcar?

Tired of having to think about a new or creative wagon design?

Why not try a FLATBED?

That's right, a FLATBED.

One of the easiest train cars to build, even for the non-train expert is a simple flatbed wagon. Flatbed wagons come in all shapes and sizes, some simply flat, some with raised sides, some short, and some long. You can easily create a classic-style Lego flatbed wagon, or even a more complex TTX variety.

Whatever the choice, it's no so much the design of the flatbed that's important, but rather what you add on top (like a topping).

Train fans get quite clever with what they place atop flatbed wagons as illustrated in the picture above. Cars, tractors, spooky boxes, containers, military vehicles, pipes, logs, etc. The possibilities are endless. So, what could you add to your flatbed? Perhaps other EB train fans have a few ideas.

Share your thoughts in this Train Tech topic, Fun With Flatbeds.

Thanks Brickster, you've finally inspired me to record this sad scene. :sad:

Vintage steam locomotive 7727 has reached the end of it's working life and is hauled away to the scrapyard...

3749697100_afdf4df83f_o.jpg

3748908539_16b4b0b80a_o.jpg

3748908209_1133c1f380_o.jpg

3748907819_ce721d9869_o.jpg

And you should see what is in the yellow van, it's actually a rolling workshop. From left to right: tool rack, oil drum with hand pump, drill, vice attached to workbench, and finally a workman having a nice cup of tea!

3748906861_ed83126481_o.jpg

More photos in my Flickr set.

Not LEGO, but maybe useful for inspiration:

Military equipment:

MM20070406_009.JPG

Transformer:

BK20050803_3231.JPG

Construction equipment:

Slmmnps3.jpg

I can really recommend reproducing the waggon of set 4555. I'm planning on building seven of them but not with a blue baseplate, of course. The blue one is extremely rare. It came with this set only and appeared in no other set. But I'm using black pieces instead of the blue ones. Easy build, many waggons, long train... perfect! OK, it may not be a real flatbed waggon since there are some bricks on top of it needed to stack containers on it. Anyway, still a nice and easy way of building several waggons.

Vintage steam locomotive 7727 has reached the end of it's working life and is hauled away to the scrapyard...

3749697100_afdf4df83f_o.jpg

I cried when I saw this. Such a sad moment. Perhaps some well-off Minifig will buy what's left of the engine and restore it to its former glory. :classic:

-Dave

@AJW: maybe you can add rails on the Flatbed, that is what they do for real as well.

WOW! What a fantastic scene. You've just trumped anything that I can build using my limited train parts. These 12V sets are truly fantastic. I admire these classic/vintage trains so much. I'm loving the yellow boxcar, esp. with the custom detailing that you've added. I may trying building one in an alternate color.

Your wonderful train is a great example of how one can add anything to a flatbed wagon, including another train/locomotive. Thank you for sharing a superb set of classics. :thumbup:

EDIT: since we're sharing our flatbeds, here's mine right out of Grave Stone:

2554673673_b95cd5e038_o.jpg

WOW! What a fantastic scene. You've just trumped anything that I can build using my limited train parts. These 12V sets are truly fantastic. I admire these classic/vintage trains so much. I'm loving the yellow boxcar, esp. with the custom detailing that you've added. I may trying building one in an alternate color.

Your wonderful train is a great example of how one can add anything to a flatbed wagon, including another train/locomotive. Thank you for sharing a superb set of classics. :thumbup:

EDIT: since we're sharing our flatbeds, here's mine right out of Grave Stone:

2554673673_b95cd5e038_o.jpg

Aww yeah! Hooray for creepy boxes on flatbeds. I absolutely LOVE your 'Gravestone' stuff and this flatbed looks great! The Minifigs standing in front of it really help to convey the creepiness of this particular flatbed car. :classic:

Awesome work!

-Dave

I absolutely LOVE your 'Gravestone' stuff and this flatbed looks great! Awesome work!

Thanks Dave. I like your tractor flatbed a lot as well. I'm thinking about creating a flatbed to carry a vehicle or two - perhaps a forklift.

Nice job Coop. I love the hotrod in lime green. Does it stay on with the chains pretty well?

The rods actually are holding the car in place. The chains are just for added effect. They don't actually tie the car down.

Try complete airliner fuselages, like how Boeing ships 737 fuselages built by Spirit Aerosystems in Wichita up here to Renton for assembly.

nimrod2.jpg

Or a locomotive--this one, I think, was when Purdue U. ("Boilermakers"--get it?) donated their locomotive collection to the National Museum of Transport in St. Louis

flatcar.gif

----------------

Now playing: James Horner - Re-Entry And Splashdown

via FoxyTunes