SWMAN

Will the Fantasy Theme Survive?

Will It Last?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Your Opinion

• It has already gone on too long.
    • No. It was good while it lasted, but it's done.
    • Personally, I hope it does. Realistically, no.
    • The chances are 50-50
    • Yes, I would say it has a fair chance.
    • Of course! It's blasphemy to speak otherwise!

A simple question. Will the fantasy theme continue on into 2010, or was 2009 it's last year. Personally, I think with the release of so few sets, this is it's last year. But, I might be wrong. What do you have to say.

I say that if they don't introduce new factions, the fantasy theme is dead. The Medieval Market Village was a great set, but the summer wave is about average.

They didn't come up with anything new - The Drawbridge Defense was a tower raid + new figs, and the Trolls' Mountain Fortress was a redecorated Castle siege.

They've done all they can do with the 4 factions, gimme elves.

Honestly, the line is predominantly a minifig line for most people. The sets are pretty much throwaway afterthoughts. I figure the line is pretty much dead simply because people only want new fantasy figs; not new sets. A new castle or a new dungeon won't appeal to fans. The difference with this line and earlier castle lines was that with earlier lines, buyers were fans of the castle theme itself. They actually wanted fortresses towers and other medieval structures. With the fantasy theme, the structures are basically a dumping ground for figs. In that sense, people who were waiting for elves are probably done with the theme even if it does continue another year.

I suspect that LEGO may feel this way as well. In all likelihood Castle will go on hiatus for a few years again. On the plus side; I'll save a few $$$.

gimme elves.

Or forestmen. I'd love to see the next stage of evolution in the castle fantasy line.

I said 50/50. I really don't know, but as much as I like Pirates, I don't want Castle to disappear. As other people said, maybe TLC should add another faction. No elves? Then gives us forestmen back!

A new castle or a new dungeon won't appeal to fans.

What are you on about? This is the Castle theme we're talking about, so of course a new (mostly human-based) castle would appeal to us fans! :tongue:

As far as the topic goes, I'm pretty optimistic that the fantasy elements won't just go away, but I also think that Castle needs to evolve again. Come up with a new concept, like a medieval town spanning multiple sets, or a modular castle or something like that.

I don't want to see another battlewagon of any kind next year! :tongue:

Of course it will survive! Us Older FOLS may want something else, but remember - Castle is a HUGE money earner; to cancel it now would be folly. As for originality? Well, we could do with more village sets, that's for sure.

Let's not confuse Castle with Fantasy.

Now fantasy is embedded in the Castle Line but it could be taken out without totally destroying the entire line. Making room for other great additions. The village as mentioned, a medieval farm, forestmen and so on.

I voted I hope so, but realistically no. The fantasy subtheme is dying, not the Castle theme. There's not very many sets out this year, which indicates to me that it's the end for it. I think the trolls and crownies are great figs, but I buy the sets for the buildings. If TLG won't give us elves, then they are probably already designing the new Castle theme for 2010. I would love more village sets, and a modular castle would be awesome. Another thing I would like to see is a reincarnation of the forest men, as TLG has done with the red coats.

That's a great and very interesting topic, SWMAN! :thumbup:

I voted for

50:50 chance

What speaks for an elongation of the fantasy erea:

There are only very few sets this year - that's right. But - like it was already said several times before - that is very supposably only a method to make the Pirate theme more interesting and do not loose to much profit since people now can spend their money on the only very few Castle sets and on the new Pirates sets.

If TLG didn't want to elongate the fantasy erea: Why would they then have released some new sets this year anyway?!

The fantasy erea seems to be very popular among many FOLs (me not included!) - so TLG would loose a lot of profit when ending this line. Plus many people want so much elves. And if TLG doesn't give them elves they're very disappointed - and I don't think that TLG wants that.

What speaks against an elongation of the fantasy erea:

This year's sets don't include any new fraction. Plus there are only very few sets anyway. This might be a sign for the end of the fantasy erea.

There are even a lot of people (me included!) which would like to see more classic castle structures with much less fantasy. TLG has to think about these people, too.

TLG brought back the Pirates theme in its very classic style and it sells very well - so why shouldn't that work with Castle, too?!

Like it was already stated there might be some additional sets to MVV - so more medieval sets with civilians and which aren't that focused on battles. Neverthteless these will even in the future imo be the minority of sets and very supposably even only be sold via Lego directly since they don't offer many of the aspects (TLG thinks) that are important for JFOLs.

Forestmen might be - but I highly doubt it since they don't look that "Castle-ish". It might only be in combination with some "normal" knights.

There might even be a human contra fraction such as dragon knights.

But the question is not only whether the fantasy erea will come to an end but even if we'll see some new Castle sets next year anyway. I think that this will very much depend on 1. how many Pirates sets we'll see (but I personally see there no problem since I bet that the second Pirates wave will be maximum that big than the first wave - supposably even smaller), 2. how many new themes and sets there'll be in general and 3. if there'll be another historical theme released next year (e. g. Western :wub: or Greeks - but I highly doubt that, too, although a new Western theme would be a dream becoming true!).

It's very hard to say but I personally think that TLG will end the fantasy erea after this year, in 2010 then there'll be no new Castle sets and in 2011 they'll come back with a more classic Castle line (like e- g- they did with the Pirates theme) but which will nevertheless include some fantasy stuff, e. g. dragon knights.

I personally would really like to see TLG ending the fantasy erea since I'm a classic Castle fan and so really hate these fantasy erea sets with all that ugly creatures and all the structures and vehicles which are imo only dump. :sick:

So I'd really like to see some more classic styled Castle sets such as the brilliant 10193 MVV - but even sets which are more appeaking to the kids audience but nevertheless looking more classic and don't include all that ugly fantasy stuff.

The only question is whether I'd mainly have the money to sell but even the place to store new classic Castle sets anyway. :sceptic:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Well, I voted it will continue. Here goes my theory: TLG has Elves sets designed, but decided not to put them into the market because it{s and economically hard year for everyone, and these would be rather expensive sets (think how many pieces a decent tree has). So, they put up the rather crapy set we got this year, compensated with great minifigs, and reserved the big hit for next year. Well, at least this is how I see it...

Let's always remember that TLC officially stated there will be NO ELVES.

I think it will end. I hope so. But I hope the Castle line continues. The Crownies are nice, so why not more sets with them but without fantasy? The village is a great example. I really hope that if the Fantasy factions don't sell that well, TLG realizes there is still interest in Castle.

@frogstudio: Where did you read that? I only saw pictures of faked sets. :sceptic:

Edited by Richie

I voted 'No, it was good while it lasted' because it seems like Lego's almost running out of ideas for the current Castle line [apart from the spectacular MMV], and I think it would be best for it to go on hiatus for a year or two, so that when it returns it can be as good as it was in 2007. Maybe, just maybe, the good guys for Castle 2.0 can have a color scheme that doesn't involve dark blue?

I think it will end. I hope so. But I hope the Castle line continues. The Crownies are nice, so why not more sets with them but without fantasy? The village is a great example. I really hope that if the Fantasy factions don't sell that well, TLG realizes there is still interest in Castle.

@frogstudio: Where did you read that? I only saw pictures of faked sets. :sceptic:

I never said I had read it... said it was what I thought. :)

I voted 50/50. I like the fantasy castle line, but it seems like they are running out of new ideas if no new faction (please elves, please, please, please!) is released.

It also looks like next year will be all about the new licenses for Toy Story and PoP, so I wouldn't be surprised if fantasy castle went away for a while and the regular castle theme returned in a couple years.

Finn

Let's always remember that TLC officially stated there will be NO ELVES.

From where do you have this information, The Cobra?

I only remember that during last BrickCon Hinckley asked someone there from TLG whether we'll see elves this year and that person said no. But that only means that we don't get elves this year - and not generally that there won't be some elves.

Klaus-Dieter

I see that many of you have said that yes, Castle will survive. I think it is obvious that in a few years, a new Castle theme will emerge. However, this is simply referring the the current fantasy theme.

I see that many of you have said that yes, Castle will survive. I think it is obvious that in a few years, a new Castle theme will emerge. However, this is simply referring the the current fantasy theme.

Unfortunately, most of us have simply come to expect that the Castle line will die off every few years. Even though there is a pretty large AFOL contingent behind the Castle theme, most people seem to expect the line will die after the 2nd or 3rd year. It's a shame we will likely never see an enduring castle theme like in the 80s & 90s where Castle managed to survive for 12 years uninterrupted. As some posts in this thread and the PoP thread suggest, we even have people who hope that the Castle line goes on hiatus for a few years. LEGO Castle is a theme that seems to die as soon as it gets any momentum.

Most of us expect that the Fantasy line is cooked just from past experiences. LEGO's comments at Brickworld regarding the possibility of Elves aren't inspiring either. Personally I'd like to see one Castle theme seemlessly move to another (very much like in the 80s/90s). It seems like such a waste to build momentum and consumer support for the genre only to kill it every few years.

On the positive side; when the Fantasy line dies my wallet will be a bit thicker :laugh: .

It sold better in the beginning, the run is long over. If I were TLC, I would continue it with less effort, but I would.

The problem is just, today it is almost impossible to earn money on something that you cannot sell like hot cookies. The market is not like in the 80s or even early 90s anymore. This is war out there. A huge variety of themes means a huge variety of costs, and the effect to reduce the losses (and winnings) from specific lines (eg. Speed Racer / Star Wars).

Who knows whats in their business plan. And how aggressive / careful they want to act.

Edited by Zzz

I'm hoping it continues but honestly also expect it to die either next year or the year after. It had some great sets and figs, but it seems to have reached a point where the sets are no longer that good, just the figs and nice pieces. I would hope for one more wave with elves, but ultimately find my opinion falling in line with blueandwhite's; these themes seem to die off after a few years.

To the Brickmobile! :devil:

I think it's dead. LEGO was grinding the fantasy between two stones to squeeze out the rest of the ideas this year :tongue:

But if this castle ends, we might get Romans :classic:

Edited by Emperor Claudius Rome

I think it's time is almost over. The few things they need to do to make it better, are: Dwarf Mountain, Elves, and Forest man.

I hope it is over and we can get new Greek or Roman series. I don't care if the new series is fantasy or more historical; I would like to see some variety in the series. In fact, after seeing the toy story figures I am hoping we could see some sweet new minotaur and a new color for the buck beak mold.

If we do get castle again I truly hope they start a storybook series. The swan knight, the king arthur stories, or even some of the brother grimm stories would be excellent. Just the right mix of fantasy and realism.

Either way, if the medieval mqrket place does well I think we will see another similar adult castle set.