Sign in to follow this  
Derek

Can Indy and Prince of Persia coexist?

From what I've seen of the PoP games, the setting is a bit different from Indy. I can see PoP competing more with the Castle line. Lego camels FTW!

I don't really see the Prince of Persia line 'competing' with either Indiana Jones or Castle. LEGO may choose to discontinue Castle for a few years (again), but the line just isn't that similar. The setting is just too different. Castle fans may buy PoP, just as many bought the Viking theme, but I don't really think that there's alot of overlap. The same is true with Indy. People purchased the Indy theme for Indy (and company). The pulp novel feel to Indy is more akin to the Adventures line than to a Persian theme.

Looking at the new parts I doubt Indian Jones will end, it will only benifit from it. Camels the new headbandages and army helmets, the people at Lego sure thought of the possibilty to use them in The Indy line when they produced them.

Agree 100% with this ^

I'm expecting PoP to be a one year only release like speed racer.

As other members said ,the Speed racer sets were created because all of the buzz about the new moive. PoP will probaly bethe same. Toy Story has 3 moives to make sets from, so it might last a little longer.

A few years ago, I would have said: impossible. Today I am not sure. TLC doesn't act in a pattern, they still surprise us!

Nonetheless, in the first 7 years of Star Wars, there was no Space theme. During the Harry Potter theme, there was no castle. And I am sure I read it somewhere that TLC thought they are too similiar. Also Space today tries hard not to be too similiar to SW and capture some of the goofy spirit of early Space themes. I guess the targeting group is a bit different.

Anyway, guess it is clear to everyone here that Indy doesn't hold the potential of Star Wars, even if it is a good line. I don't see it continue for longer than next year, but I am sure we will still see new sets in 2010. I don't think so cause of the Prince (who will get only 1 run of sets imho) but of the difficulty to make sets, also I don't see chances for redesigns, UCS, minis, midsize or whatsoever. Some might say there are still endless possibilities, but I guess one have to keep in mind that it is not Star Wars. Did we get everything from the Star Wars movies? No. I think there are chances for another 6 sets, 2 from each of the old movies, but then it is over.

SW is a bigger market than Indy. There were only action figures for the first movie from 1980, and not too many. Soundtracks were not available, even the VHS in widescreen were rare at certain points. Only the new movie made these things reappear, and it is not an effect that will last for too long.

So I came to the strange conclusion that both will coexist in 2010 and then end. A bit strange though, guess TLC will surprise me with something unforseen...

I have no idea what POP is, but it's got sweet minifigs. It's obviously Disney so I would never like it anyway. :tongue:

The videogame franchise itself is not Disney, it's just the movie that's produced by them. The videogames date back to the yonder years of early 90's, I still remember trying out the original game at a friend's house. It was a simple platformer with a sort of 1001 Nights theme to it.

I haven't played the modern games, but they seem to be more action- and battle-oriented, so they don't interest me, really.

During the Harry Potter theme, there was no castle.

Pishposh, there was Knights' Kingdom II and Vikings released during that time. Sure, there were a few years with just re-releases of old sets, but it doesn't count as "no castle" at all. :wink:

I think they can coexist pretty easily. They are both quite different concepts, but the great part is though they are very different - and therefore don't steal the spotlight from each other - they also compliment each other really well!

Of course, Prince of Persia is the perfect line for Batman fans like me that plan on making Ra's Al Ghul and his assassins and his base. Here's hoping that camel comes in more than one set.

Back to the main point though, I'm pretty sure Indy will last a lot longer than Prince of Persia, which will be a great line but made to line up with the movie only.

To the Brickmobile! :devil:

During the Harry Potter theme, there was no castle.

There was the Vikings line as well as the <insert that tiresome argument> Knights Kingdom line in 2002 and then the really horrible Technicolor Knights Kingdom later.

Space today tries hard not to be too similiar to SW and capture some of the goofy spirit of early Space themes. I guess the targeting group is a bit different.

It doesn't have to try hard to be different from Star Wars. There's a lot of science fiction possibilities beyond the realm of Star Wars which is more fantasy than SF.

Anyway, guess it is clear to everyone here that Indy doesn't hold the potential of Star Wars, even if it is a good line.

It's not clear at all. Personally, I see Star Wars as having very little potential left compared to Indy. They've made most of the significant vehicles in the Star Wars trilogies and most of the playset types as well even if they haven't always done them well. Star Wars is really finished so far as I'm concerned since I don't watch the kiddie cartoons (beyond seeing The Clone Wars in the theatre, a price of admission I'd like to get back). Sure, they can continue to produce sets based on the TV outings but ugly sets like that pirate tank aren't iconic.

I don't see it continue for longer than next year, but I am sure we will still see new sets in 2010.

I give it two more years though if Lego wanted to they could renew that license as well (provided Lucasfilm released more speculation as to an Indy V) or by doing remakes of the existing sets. After all, it only took 4-5 years for Lego to begin redesigning existing sets (X-Wing in Dagobah, new snowspeeder).

I don't think so cause of the Prince (who will get only 1 run of sets imho) but of the difficulty to make sets, also I don't see chances for redesigns, UCS, minis, midsize or whatsoever.

The Prince of Persia is unknown compared to Indiana Jones. In 2004, the American Film Institute named Indiana Jones the #2 film hero of all time (well ahead of Han Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi, the only two SW characters to make the top 50). Prince of Persia? Just some video game and we've seen how well game-inspired films have done (Super Mario Brothers, anyone?).

I think there are chances for another 6 sets, 2 from each of the old movies, but then it is over.

I expect two years of sets totalling between 6-8 each year probably. The Temple of Doom has barely been touched by Lego and Last Crusade isn't much better. And quite frankly, compared to the IJ line, SW has been pretty poor lately. The original trilogy sets are nice but in a case of film quality influencing sets, the poorer quality prequels and the horrible Clone Wars are producing overpriced (Count Dooku's ship is a great example), uninteresting (anything from the Clone Wars nonsense) sets. Another 14-16 IJ sets and they can happily end the line instead of dragging it out to a slow death like SW.

There were only action figures for the first movie from 1980, and not too many. Soundtracks were not available, even the VHS in widescreen were rare at certain points. Only the new movie made these things reappear, and it is not an effect that will last for too long.

An action figure line was released for Temple of Doom but it was quite small (less than a half dozen figures and no playsets). Soundtracks for the original three films were available (I know because I have them). VHS was never rare except when the DVD collection was released (by which time VHS in general was rare).

Another 14-16 IJ sets and they can happily end the line instead of dragging it out to a slow death like SW.

I agree, IJ is no were near dead. I think the two themes will compliment each-other, not hurt each-other.

Prince of Persia, really? It seems like this line will be a one and done, like Speed Racer. I just can't see kids, or adults for that matter, clamoring for Price of Persia toys.

At first I was worried about Indy. I see no problem now. I am dissapointed about the lack of the flesh tone in PoP and I saw the African guy and wish they had some of those in Indy. :sceptic:

I think that with POP coming up, Indy will die out. Indiana Jones is a dying franchise when it comes to serious marketability, while POP is an up and coming franchise with a ton of possibilities. Plus, when have you seen Lego have two themes that are so similar in many aspects? Spider-Man died before Batman came along. Johnny Thunder before Indiana Jones.

Indiana Jones is NOT a dying franchise. It has stood strong for over 20 years, the 4th movie sold phenomenally, and there is a 5th movie in production. Also, Indy has a very large appeal with both AFOL and children (many fans of the OT Indy went to see the new Indy with their kids ^^). LEGO would be shooting themselves in the foot hardcore to cancel Indy in favor of some movie that hasn't even been released yet.

Also, Johnny Thunder was a tribute to Indiana Jones anyway, and it was before they could get a hold of the license.

EDIT: 100% Agree with Prof1515! You could not have put it better! Indy is a powerhouse of a selling point, with so much untapped potential. There are also a number of fantastic EU Indy sets they could make (The Fate of Atlantis, an excellent adventure game that was recently re-released on steam, for example)

I also agree with the horrible Clone Wars statements. Seriously, pirate tank? What were they thinking? I hope this trend does not continue, because as well as that cartoon being bland and uninteresting, the art style is so very, very ugly, making the resulting LEGO sets just as ugly.

I would MUCH rather see them make sets based on EU (they kind of dipped into it with the force unleashed set, but i'd like to see some from KOTOR, Jedi Knight/Dark Forces, Star Wars Galaxies ect)

Edited by TheTacoMan

Indiana Jones is NOT a dying franchise. It has stood strong for over 20 years, the 4th movie sold phenomenally, and there is a 5th movie in production. Also, Indy has a very large appeal with both AFOL and children (many fans of the OT Indy went to see the new Indy with their kids ^^). LEGO would be shooting themselves in the foot hardcore to cancel Indy in favor of some movie that hasn't even been released yet.

Before there were any rumors of an Indy 4, how was the merchandise and marketing for Indiana Jones? Not good. Sure the movies were popular, but how often did you even see merch? You didn't. Indy 4 was what really brought the merchandise and marketing back from its grave, but with the 4th movie gone, that merchandise is slowly going away. Also the "5th movie" is not in production, it is just being discussed. That doesn't even confirm that there will be a 5th.

-Omi

Actually, I think that both licenses will end next year. Whether you like it or not, Indy is a dying franchise, and there are many signs that the theme wont go on for long anymore. one of them is that they are making a videogame that encompasses not much new aside from KotCS. If they were planning to make sets for a possible second movie, they would have waited with the game methinks. Also, there aren't many more iconic vehicles or locations they could base sets off of.

Prince of Persia will most likely have only one wave to go along with the theatrical release, and will only have more sets when there will be a sequel is released (if there is gonna be one).

Therefore, I'm predicting that by the end of next year, there will be no Indy and no PoP anymore, as sad as it sounds. :sadnew:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I don't if any of you have been to a Disney park but there is huge Indiana Jones and Star Wars references inside the parks. George Lucus wanted his creations done right so he trusted Disney. So Lucus and Disney is a packaged deal and now hopefully the same can be said about Disney and Lego.

Indy is a dying license, and there are many signs that the theme wont go on for long anymore. one of them is that they are making a videogame that encompasses not much new aside from KotCS. If they were planning to make sets for a possible second movie, they would have waited with the game methinks. Also, there aren't many more iconic vehicles or locations they could base sets off of.

Therefore, I'm predicting that by the end of next year, there will be no Indy anymore, as sad as it sounds. :sadnew:

I agree that Indy may be a dying license, but Lego SW: TCS had what, maybe two more levels than Lego SW I & II combined?

I see a possibly distinct possibility that the fire in the license is going out, but I don't think it's for sure yet.

Whether you like it or not, Indy is a dying franchise, and there are many signs that the theme wont go on for long anymore.

I'm sure the same thing was said about Star Wars 10 years ago. :wink:

I think that Lego would be stupid to cancel IJ, especially if they are making a 5th movie, which will probably have as much promotion as the last one.

Even kids who haven't seen the movies would still be able to enjoy the sets, Johnny Thunder lived a decent length of a life, and that line had NO source material. Ok, maybe Indy IS a dying franchise, that doesn't mean that Lego has to be done with it. Maybe if Lego keeps releasing sets until the 5th movie is out, it will stay in the minds of kids and create more hype.

There were doubts that they would even do any Indy in 2009, and look what we have gotten :wub:. Even if they do decide to discontinue in the near future, I will be grateful for what we had, and what we had was an amazing Lego line.

Star Wars really can't be compared to other franchises like Indy or PoP. It simply isn't the same. Star Wars is a phenomenon unlike any other. There are hundreds of thousands of fans who will by anything with the Star Wars label, no matter how obscure it is. Look at all of the Clone Wars and EU stuff that people purchase. It doesn't matter how unknown the character is; Star Wars sells like hotcakes.

The Indy theme has touched upon most of the major locales and characters of the franchise. Sure, there are a few scenes that have been overlooked (the Tank from the Last Crusade for example), but the franchise is clearly nearing it's climax from a LEGO POV. As a franchise, Indy doesn't have the same obsessive following that Star Wars does. I expect another year from Indy (hopefully we'll get a Sallah minifig), but after that what is left? If you like Indy, you've probably got 6+ of him in minifig form. Do people really want obscure offshoot characters from Indy novels or videogames? I'm guessing that it's unlikely.

I still do think that both lines can co-exist. I just don't think that either one will live on into 2011.

I doubt it, really. I would say in terms of licensed theme length, Indiana Jones is more comparable to Harry Potter, while Prince of Persia is a direct comparison to, say, Avatar or Speed Racer. :sadnew:

Seriously, since when was the Prince of Persia movie set to become the next "big thing"? I doubt this is going to become an extremely popular. Does anyone else remember any other Video Game-inspired movies being much good? Normally, these kinds of movies don't turn out very well. It's sad but true. :sad: I don't see where this fear even comes from in the first place. The two themes aren't very similar at all- IJ has vehicles and many exotic locations, while this movie seems to have one city as its setting and no vehicles to speak of. We'll have to wait and see until 2010 to be sure. But as of now, there's really not much to be afraid of.

Of course, they can co-exist!

Sallah, I said *no* camels. That's *five* camels. Can't you count? :classic:

If Indy is a dying license, I'll be really sad. There is so much things to do, it can't be true :pir_bawling:

but now I remember a seller (who didn't know about the 2009 Indy line that I was looking for) telling me that Indiana Jones "It has been over for...a very long time, you know! It was when the 4th film came out." For him, Indy line was already stopped because there was nothing to merchandise on...

Seriously, since when was the Prince of Persia movie set to become the next "big thing"?

Since when is anything the next big thing? You never can tell. Iron Man wasn't never like this, but when the movie came out, it was ridiculous with the marketing.

That is the thing with pop culture, you can never predict it. PoP seems popular enough video game to be made into a movie, and right now we can't tell whether or not the movie will be a hit or miss.

-Omi

Since when is anything the next big thing? You never can tell. Iron Man wasn't never like this, but when the movie came out, it was ridiculous with the marketing.

That is the thing with pop culture, you can never predict it. PoP seems popular enough video game to be made into a movie, and right now we can't tell whether or not the movie will be a hit or miss.

-Omi

However, the Prince of Persia is a video game movie, and as such, is Doomed to fail. Much like the DOOM movie :P. It may surprise me and be good, but i really doubt it will get a cult following

Disney is spending a lot of resources on POP to become the next POTC, and eventually replace POTC as their next live movie cash cow. If they succeed wit that, the toys will live for several years. Indy is pretty much gone as the interest has faded significantly.. there are no new movies, cartoons or whatever to back it up.

Disney is spending a lot of resources on POP to become the next POTC, and eventually replace POTC as their next live movie cash cow. If they succeed wit that, the toys will live for several years. Indy is pretty much gone as the interest has faded significantly.. there are no new movies, cartoons or whatever to back it up.

I've been thinking the exact same thing :thumbup:

However, the Prince of Persia is a video game movie, and as such, is Doomed to fail. Much like the DOOM movie :P. It may surprise me and be good, but i really doubt it will get a cult following

Not all video game movies are doomed to failure. And even when they are "bad" as you like to put it, they are still good.

PoP has the potential to be successful, and here is why:

- Based on a popular video game

- It is a Disney movie

- Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer

- Directed by a not so bad director, Mike Newell

- Has Alfred Molina and Ben Kingsley

- Music is done by Harry Gregson-Williams

That is a list of big names right there. And you're telling me that it is "doomed to fail".

-Omi

As long as Lego is making money from both themes, I don't see why not, though I can certainly see Indy ending in the near future, I think it's got a lot left to give, and I can imagine Lego already has a lot of sets in production now for the next couple of releases.

If anything, Indy might take a break for a while, and return witha new Indy film.

After all, Star Wars has been going for a long while now, and there are very rarely any "Grounbreaking sets" - they're all ships and the odd ground vehicle, with battlepacks thrown in.

With Indy, however, whilst there's potential for, say, more planes, more trucks, more boats etcetera, there are plenty of other ideas for sets that TLC can make too.

I can imagine massive UCS Indy sets, for example - the big German zeppelin would make a good set to be the Indy equivalent to the Venator or Millenium Falcon. Something like that, at least.

Whilst we really have to see the Prince Of Persia movie to see what kind of sets to expect - I don't think there will be a lot of similarites with Indy - there are alot of things similar to Indy, like traps and obviously the Minifigs, but really, do we really expect to see a Nazi Biplane flying through the sky? or motorcycle chases? I think the POP line will be more like Harry Potter myself.

And besides, There are four Indy films, and one PoP film - Indy certainly has more material to draw from. And when PoP dries up, well all of thoseparts can be used for Indy sets, that is, after all, the beauty of our beloved Lego :classic:

And besides - even if TLC runs out of ideas for original sets, they canjust release a set of figures and a handful of bricks and charge £9.99 for it, and we'd still buy it :tongue:

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that we'll have to wait to see PoP, or even some of the sets, before we can make a judgement - we can't judge this line on Minifigs alone.

My only fear is that TLC will end up producing more licensed sets instead of their own.

Will/Rocketbilly