Sign in to follow this  
Davey

MOC: DB Class 212 Locomotive

traintech1.jpg

As I'm sure most of you have seen by now, I went on a Train building spree just before Brickworld. I had been wanting to give my layout a bit of 'euro flair' so I decided to build a euro-styled locomotive. After a lot of searching online, I came across a picture of a DB Class 212 locomotive and fell in love with it. It's a relatively simple locomotive that was used for light passenger and freight duty from the 1960's up through as recently as 2004.

3747817952_b87f64a491.jpg

The DB Class V 100.20 (later Class 212) is a more powerful variant of the V 100. It was based on the prototype V 100 006, which from 1960 was renumbered to V 100 2001. It went into series production in 1962 and, unlike the V 100.10 which was employed on branch line service, it was also intended for main line duties and ramps. Up to 1966 a total of 381 examples entered service. The Class 212 is 12.1 meters long and weighs 63 tonnes. Its top speed is 100 km/h and its engine generates 993 kW (1,350 PS).

3747818066_7b9772f0d8.jpg

Many locos from the Deutsche Bahn's fleet were sold as part of a joint venture with Alstom to the Alstom Lokomotiven Service in Stendal. There the engines were systematically rebuilt and sold to interested parties, such as private railways, in Germany and abroad. Some locomotives have found use with private operators, in particular: rail infrastructure firms, because the high, central driver’s cab gives a very good view compared with locomotives that have a cab at one end.

3747818332_bbdf1f843f.jpg

This picture provides a closer look at the fuel tank and central steps which took some (imho) interesting SNOT techniques to make work. Larger size pictures are available on my Flickr Photostream.

-Dave

ToT-LUG

This is a very interesting model. When I first saw "DB", I pictured a classic 4.5 or 12V train engine. I'm not at all familiar with this type of design, but it looks very good. It has a shunter look about it, but still heavy enough to pull a long freight through the German countryside. I like the smooth design that you've captured, combined with the color, which reminds me of something from the Hobby Train collection. I also like that DB decal. How do you make your decals, it almost looks like an official etched brick.

Nice job on this. Do you plan to build any freight cars to go along with it?

I'm not at all familiar with this type of design, but it looks very good. It has a shunter look about it, but still heavy enough to pull a long freight through the German countryside.

It's probably the model they based the design of 7755 on:

7755-1-1004648152.jpg

Maybe...

And CB strikes again! :cry_happy:

Wonderful MOC! :wub: There are still some engines of this type going round near my place and you perfectly catched them!

I'm not at all familiar with this type of design, but it looks very good. It has a shunter look about it, but still heavy enough to pull a long freight through the German countryside. I like the smooth design that you've captured, combined with the color, which reminds me of something from the Hobby Train collection.

The shape and colour is typical for those shunters. ONly the decals should have been white. (criticism on a high level again :laugh:)

The original (with a lot of rolling stock):

uk_deu_db_212-034-3_01_g.jpg

After seeing the image of the real train, I think your design is fantastic! It might look a little big when compared to a minifig, but that's ok. You did a brilliant job here. The lone suggestion that I could offer is if you use the new buffers found on the front of 10194 rather than the old ones as the new Emerald Night buffer has that cow catcher bit which is visible in the photo of the real deal. Great work, I would love to see this going around your layout! :classic::thumbup:

I also like that DB decal. How do you make your decals, it almost looks like an official etched brick.

I use waterslide decals that are printed on my Epson RX600 photo printer. They seem to work well as long as you clear-coat the decals before applying them to seal the ink. I do not use any clear-coat once the decal is on the MOC though. I know Hinckley clear-coats his torsos after the decals are applied.

Nice job on this. Do you plan to build any freight cars to go along with it?

Thanks! Right now it's pulling the flatbed car, one of the hopper cars, and one of the tanker cars that I posted this week.

It's probably the model they based the design of 7755 on:

Maybe...

How did I miss this official LEGO set?!?! I've never even seen this before. Thanks a ton for pointing it out. :thumbup: :thumbup: 12V sets were so cool. I only wish they had been more available here in the US.

The shape and colour is typical for those shunters. ONly the decals should have been white. (criticism on a high level again)

You are so right Holodoc. I wanted white decals in the worst way, but alas...I don't have an Alps printer. I'm thinking of trying to score some old LEGO produced DB decals on Bricklink for this MOC. Otherwise, I might bite the bullet and pay the money to have some custom decals made professionally. Or better yet...get an engraved or printed brick from The Brick Engraver. White decals would really just 'finish' this MOC. :classic:

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. LEGO Trains are such a blast!

-Dave

ToT-LUG