ILikePi

Product Recall of 8879 PF IR Speed Remote Control

I think Lego will keep the same moulds, otherwise our RC will be collectors!
I don't think LEGO would make new molds; they would probably just fix the problem without any changes to the look of the remote. If they did make new molds, these current ones would be worth a lot in the future (and doesn't it cost a lot to make a mold?). :tongue:
I have waited for this product anxiously since May 18th (my birthday) after I ordered the Emerald Night collection!
Your birthday is on May 18? Mine is too. :oh:

:laugh:

By the way, I know that there was a Duplo truck recall, but what was the other one (someone said that there were two other recalls)?

I also really like how LEGO recalls a product even if there is just a small problem (like this one) and how they recall the product as soon as possible (only 4 people reported it overheating). :classic:

Edited by ILikePi

Mine hasn't overheated either, so no worries for me.

I'd expect the replacement remote to be identical in shape and function, but possibly with slightly higher quality to that last bit. Mine has a tendency to misintepret the input if I'm making small adjustments to speed, which I'm also hearing from other owners. I'm guessing LEGO is also looking at that and wanting to improve that bit while they still have a chance to do so.

My guess is that either the circuit board or the soldering process has been revised to remove a potential short circuit around the power supply rails. The plastic moulds and functionality of the replacement unit should be exactly the same.

The train remote sends the "increase" and "decrease speed" signals to the train. Therefore there is a maximum rate of turning the dial that will be effective in accelerating the train by more than one step in the shortest time possible. I think turning the dial by the equivalent of the gap between two notches should send one signal. I think the maximum rate is just over one command per second. The protocol probably has more details.

Using the STOP function resets the speed, so there is no fixed speed reference point for either dial on the remote. Not so good if you want to drive the dial from a motor.

The NXT with an IR link sensor will do the same IR functions, as well as giving you the ability to start a train at a fixed speed setting, for anyone desperate to have remote control sooner than the replacement. Of course you can use a phone to control the NXT, so you already have the remote on your pocket :classic:

Mark

I got an email today that my copy of 8879 was shipped today.

Finally! :cry_happy:

It will be at my place when I'm getting back from vacation - hurray. :wub:

lucky you,

I am eager to receive one, I think it is great for big vehicles to gradually accelerate and steer.