Peppermint_M

Post about Cartoons and Anime you like

Wow lots of MLP fans in here. My daughters are really into it and I'll only watch it with them.

I'll probably check in here frequently to see what anime shows people are watching.

Current cartoons that I watch are the new TNMT (love it) and the new Tron series (waiting on season 2).

Anime series I have watched and liked are Full Metal Alchemist (both versions, favorite so far), Initial D (got me into anime), Deathnote, Soul Eater, Robotech, Trigun, and Ghost in the Shell. There are probably a few others I'm forgetting.

I'll probably check in here frequently to see what anime shows people are watching.

May I suggest these anime?

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Angel Beats!

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and it's sequel

Sword Art Online

K-On! and its movie

Lucky*Star

and Fairy Tail

Being that it's anime inspired (meaning that if you don't like Anime, this is tolerable) I also highly suggest

They are all really fantastic, Gurren Lagann especially!

Wow lots of MLP fans in here. My daughters are really into it and I'll only watch it with them.

Haha! No, more like the same few commenting on new episodes. :laugh:

Welcome to the forums! :thumbup:

Tron series (waiting on season 2).

Welcome to the thread! Sorry to tell you this, but sadly that series (like many other cartoons lately) was cancelled before the first season even ended, so don't hold your breath.

Luckily, TMNT is confirmed for at least 3 seasons! :thumbup: It seems like Nickelodeon is the only smart network when it comes to cartoons at the moment.

I like to imagine that Equestrian society uses gems and bits alike as currency, with bits being a more modern and standardized currency and gems (which are bound to vary in value and quality) being a holdover from an older but not entirely obsolete barter system.

That makes sense. I thought that gems are part of the same system, with gems being more valuable and therefore being used for larger purchases like in some videogames, or like how we use bills instead of coins, but your theory certainly seems possible too.

And I agree, while it would have been nice to see a reference to AJ's past in Manehattan, it wasn't needed.

I loved the new episode. It had a great lesson, great songs, and a great look at a setting that we haven't ever gotten to see in a whole lot of depth. And it was a Rarity episode, so it had some rather high standards to live up to. I look forward to watching it again!

I liked the episode too. Not quite as good as Sweet & Elite, but definitely one of the best this season! Although I kinda felt like they beat you over the head with the lesson a little, the story was very good, so I'm okay with it.

It was also good to see that this seems to be the first episode that connects to the chest plot arc instead of having a seemingly pointless cliffhanger. I hope that the other "keys" wont be rainbow colored as well because that would be too obvious. One down, 5 to go!

May I suggest these anime?

They are all really fantastic, Gurren Lagann especially!

I'll check these out. Thanks

Welcome to the thread! Sorry to tell you this, but sadly that series (like many other cartoons lately) was cancelled before the first season even ended, so don't hold your breath.

Luckily, TMNT is confirmed for at least 3 seasons! :thumbup: It seems like Nickelodeon is the only smart network when it comes to cartoons at the moment.

Well the news about Tron is disappointing. I would think Disney would have put more effort into it since the movies are so popular.

Well the news about Tron is disappointing. I would think Disney would have put more effort into it since the movies are so popular.

Are they that popular, though? I was under the impression that the first one at least only saw moderate success and the newest one was only made because of the original's "cult classic" status. They're popular, but not nearly on the same level of popularity as Disney's real blockbusters.

But keep in mind that even popularity isn't enough to save some cartoons. Young Justice is a testament to that, as are so many other series that succeeded with audiences yet failed to sell toys.

Edited by Lyichir

I'm watching D-Gray Man now. Starting to get into it after 4 or 5 episodes.

Season 5 of MLP was announced! Yay!

-Sci

I feel a little happy and sad about this. I feel Season 5's going to make or break the franchise. Season 4 is stylistically different from any season so far, with quite a large amount of fan nods and other such things, especially in todays episode which airs in less than thirty minutes than now. I'm still excited, but I want the show to have a conclusion, an ending that ties things up, and bows out of the spotlight with a bang, instead of quite literally beating a dead horse.

You know what time it is!

Pinkie Apple Pie: Wow this season's doing a complete 180! We're finally getting some episodes that aren't chock full of pop culture reference, and rely on the slice of life vibe the series was originally renowned for! I was really looking forward to this episode, and it didn't disappoint! As much as I loved Rarity Takes Manehatten, Pinkie Apple Pie now has the spot as best episode of season four in my opinion. It was heart warming, it was hilarious, it had everything I expect out of a stellar episode of Friendship is Magic! I love Golden Delicious, the Apple's kooky, hoarder relative. From the moment she appeared with cats crammed into her saddle bags, I was laughing hysterically. The whole road trip aspect was a lot of fun, and despite this being another Applejack episode revolving around family, it did an excellent job portraying them! Big Macintosh got some great lines, Apple Bloom is adorable as always, and Granny Smith was a lot of fun! We got another nod to the fandom with Apple Bloom singing a __ilicious song, but it really wasn't distracting nor do I feel it will become dated. That, and I love the song. Apples to the Core is the best song of the season so far, and it's catchy. I feel I'll be whistling this thing for weeks. I also enjoyed the conclusion the episode came to. I won't spoil it, but despite feeling a bit disappointing, it felt right. If I got one gripe, Pinkie was portrayed both correctly and incorrectly throughout the episode. It was annoying occasionally, but for the most part, it was tolerable when she went from "missing the point" to "irritatingly childish". When Pinkie was written right, it was well done, but there moments I was cringing a little. Oh well. Also, I really love the animation in this episode, particularly during the song sequences. Other than that, Pinkie Apple Pie was a lot of fun, and my favourite episode so far. :thumbup: Job well done, guys!

Next week we got Rainbow Falls. I'll see you then!

Edited by Kintobor

You know what time it is!

Pinkie Apple Pie: Wow this season's doing a complete 180! We're finally getting some episodes that aren't chock full of pop culture reference, and rely on the slice of life vibe the series was originally renowned for!

I wouldn't say there's been enough pop-culture stuff this season to call that a complete 180. After all, the premiere two-parter was an original adventure story without any reliance on pop-culture reference. The only explicit cultural reference in Castle Mane-ia was the title, which is no different than the title references in the season 1 episodes "Boast Busters" or "Call of the Cutie" (which was originally going to be just "Call of Cutie" before it was decided that referencing an M-rated video game might not be too popular in a kids' show). "Flight to the Finish" was pure slice-of-life storytelling, and I'd go so far as to say "Rarity Takes Manehattan" was as well, even if it did have some cultural references in the form of "Bridleway" and "Hinny of the Hills". So really the only episodes that really delved into popular culture for their source material were "Daring Don't", "Power Ponies", and "Bats!".

Overall, I enjoyed today's episode as a fun and silly episode, but it doesn't quite measure up to the epic level of emotion and character development in such episodes as "Flight to the Finish" or "Rarity Takes Manehattan". And even though we went to some new places, I feel like they didn't have the same level of depth and richness as the old castle in "Castle Mane-ia", though I think that's partly because they weren't named or even recurring locations. "Castle Mane-ia" and "Rarity Takes Manehattan" both get extra points for actively deepening established settings, not just creating new ones.

The song was definitely good, and the friendship lesson was a nice new one — that being that being a family doesn't mean getting along all the time, but rather being able to stick close together in spite of whatever disagreements might arise.

After the generosity-themed episode that was Rarity Takes Manehattan, I really hope that Rainbow Falls, a loyalty-themed episode, will be just as stellar. It's great to see that even with how much character development there's been in the series, there's room for plenty more as the Mane Six are presented with new challenges.

So it's everyone's favorite thread bumper again, kidding kidding. I've read this thread and kept up with it but felt my contributions "didn't qualify". Yes, that does mean you have a fellow Family Guy fan amongst you. There's always also Bob's Burgers, American Dad, Futurama, and Young Justice, though the last 2 are done with, I have a friend who informed me that Young Justice might come back, but don't take this post too seriously for now :shrug_confused:

Edited by Freddy Bricker

Well, a bit belated but I finished A:EMH. I've got to say one thing, it may be the best cartoon I've watched. Sure, there where a few duff episodes (the Hulk and Korvac episodes, although that's probably just me) and there was a significant drop in quality with the writing change, but overall it was stunning, and it breaks my heart that they got rid of it in favour of the new Avengers "Movie cash-in" crud. My favs where To steal an Ant-Man, The Private War Of Dr Doom, The Ballad Of Beta Ray Bill, Behold...The Vision!, Prisoner Of War, and New Avengers, although all the Kree and Skrull episodes where stunning. Also found the Purple Man hilarious, due to him being voiced by Brent Spiner, an actor known for being more than a bit egotistical off stage. Least favourites where the Red Skull/Red Hulk episodes, while most disappointing where Korvac and Emperor Stark. Not they where bad episodes, but anything short of the 20 Avengers pile on a Bus to Forest Hills to fight (and die by the hands of) Korvac, a man from the 31st century who was experimented on by the Badoon, while his wife being the collectors daughter, would of been disappointing. And Emperor Stark carried the name of one the best Exiles comics, and one of the most chilling representations of Stark, and possibly the most accurate. The characters where spot on, the voices spot on, no toned down Wolverine or Luke Cage (Well, maybe a bit...), Vision, Cap and his escape...All just fantastic, just so much was great it's hard to put down in words. Can't recommend EMH enough. Nuff said I think.

Eep, a bit behind, aren't we? :blush:

Rainbow Falls: Eh? It was alright, really. I think the issue with RD picking Flutters and Bulk Biceps for the team has been talk about to death, but I'll say it hear: why is Ponyville competing for an event they clearly can't get into to? Why not get Rainbow to get involved with another team with more capable flyers and do away with the Relay team? Oh well, my ears have heard the complaint enough, and there's more to harp on. The Wonderbolts were jerks. I understand Spitfire's attitude in Wonderbolt's Academy, but here was inexcusable. They were bonafide, Grade A jerks! Sitting Maz- I mean Soarin' out just to get Rainbow to join the team was cruel and manipulative! I still have an issue with the Mane Six being everywhere at once, but it's really prominent here. Did Pinkie, Applejack and Rarity really need to be here? They serve nothing to the plot besides being a contrived device to get Rainbow to join the Ponyville team at the end. But still... I can't say I hate the episode. It was cooling seeing Shaverive- I mean Soarin' again, and all the background cameos and everyones favourite derp eyed mail mare was a treat! I can't say I'll remember this episode, but it's okay.

Three's A Crowd coming shortly!

Three's A Crowd: Hey, Discord's back! :laugh: This was a fun episode. Nothing particularly important, but a fun episode nonetheless. I like that the episode was just Twilight and Cadence, it looked as if the Mane Six was going to be following around and just being shoved into the plot, but they weren't, and I'm glad they're sort of out of the picture thanks to Discord's shenanigans. :grin: A Glass of Water was a fun, but John De Lancie is no singer. It's alright, and the references with him were great, ranging from Harry Potter to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. All in all, there's not a lot to say, but it was at least fun, and John De Lance as Discord is always fun, so yay, fun episode. Also Brad/Flash Sentry got all of a five second cameo. :tongue:

Next week: Weird Al Pony.

I don't know if this has been seen yet, but I snatched these from the Fans United for SatAM forums.

http://www.sonicsatam.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/1391713599349.jpg

The image is a bit too big to post, but we have official designs on the Sonic Boom silhouettes that were featured here a while ago.

More images here.

Thoughts?

Honestly, they look pretty good! I'm not entirely sold on Sonic's scarf and Knuckle's overall design, as well as the bandages, well, everywhere, but Tails looks really cool with the tool belt and the goggles and I'm actually really surprised how good Amy looks! Reminds me of her Fleetway look, and is definitely a lot more mature looking. :thumbup:

And look what I just found!

This might actually be pretty good! :grin:

What's even more wonderful is that it is a sub-series, and that regular "modern" Sonic will return in the games. Don't get me wrong though, the show looks jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The tie-in game is gonna be thought of as the next Sonic Heroes for sure (disappointing at first glance, but one of the more wonderful games I've played in the franchise).

I will say that my only gripe is Knuckles... I think he will grow on me though (no pun intended).

Well in all honesty I am only just starting to avidly watch anime, but those I have seen so far have been constantly brilliant.

I started with Death Note which, despite episode quality being lower after episode 25 (finale excluded), was a great series. The plot was fun but also complicated enough to make me think, and I was often left baffled by the sheer genius of some of the main characters. The plot twists in the series were great as well.

Next I moved onto Elfen Lied. This was a different matter to Death Note entirely. The title sequence is very serene and peaceful, but then you get to the action itself. It's gruesome, to say the very least. Even so, and despite there only being 13 episodes, the series was very much enjoyable.

Now I have moved onto Future Diary. I'm only 10 episodes into this one so far (there's 26 episodes overall) but I'm already hooked. The plot is extremely interesting and unusual, and all the characters so far have been very fun (even if many have been somewhat psychotic). The use of plot twists is also very clever and certainly keeps things interesting. I'm sure I'll finish this series in the next day or two.

I also watch episodes of Pokemon every now and again, but the series has definitely seen better days. I also used to avidly watch Yu-Gi-Oh when I was younger, but I've heard that the quality of the show has greatly deteriorated now.

I also watch a wide range of cartoons, including South Park, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Futurama (it's a shame that it has been cancelled) and numerous others. Those mentioned previously are fun to watch, despite the general lack of plot in favour of mindless yet enjoyable humour.

I also watch Ultimate Spider-Man, but only select episodes of it, as most of them aren't at all good. I did enjoy some episodes though, such as the Dr. Strange, Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy episodes. Generally poor quality or not, I have appreciated the show for introducing me to numerous new Marvel characters (including Dr. Strange).

I also watch Gravity Falls. Considering that this show was made by Disney, I was extremely impressed with the quality of the show and the sophistication expressed in some episodes. The underlying plot of the show (which only seemed relevant in a select few episodes) was very impressive and well-constructed. Obviously I was disappointed by the plot having such limited relevance, but the quality of the other episodes was more than sufficient compensation for this.

I do watch a few other shows as well, but only casually. Generally speaking, I enjoy what I watch very much and can't recommend the 3 animes (Death Note, Elfen Lied and Future Diary) highly enough.

Well in all honesty I am only just starting to avidly watch anime, but those I have seen so far have been constantly brilliant.

Here I go again mentioning these.

Steins;Gate

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya + The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Angel Beats!

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and it's sequel

Sword Art Online

K-On! and its movie

Lucky*Star

and Fairy Tail

Being that it's anime inspired (meaning that if you don't like Anime, this is tolerable) I also highly suggest

Judging by the Animes you've mentioned, you'd really enjoy Code Geass. Angel Beats! and Steins;Gate are just as good, not to mention the ever wonderful Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. A note, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky*Star, and K-ON! are all slice-of-lifes (not action oriented, more real life quirky things, but still hilariously entertaining).

Thanks for that very long list there. That'll sure be a hell of a lot to watch once I get through the rest of Future Diary. Speaking of Future Diary, I was surprised that no characters in the show noticed a plot point that was all too obvious until episode 7 (it was obvious straight from episode 1).

I don't like having to double post but I would prefer the content of this post to have its own post.

So I just finished watching Future Diary (including the epilogue). And I have to say, this series has been brilliant right from the off, and the constant plot twists and all the characters kept the plot thrilling and engaging. The concept of the show instantly gave me a Hunger Games kind of vibe which, as an avid fan of the series, immediately excited me for what was to come. As the series went on though, I came to notice that, unlike The Hunger Games, I felt empathy for the two main characters and desperately wanted things to work out in their favour. I won't spoil how that turns out, but I will say that watching the "epilogue" episode is essential and provides a wonderful ending to the series. I also found the Death Note reference in the "epilogue" rather amusing.

Overall, it's a brilliant series (far better than Elfen Lied IMO, and I really enjoyed that as well). It may be a slight stretch of me to say this, but I also think this series was on par with Death Note (which is truly brilliant). I truly cannot recommend it highly enough.

I think I'll take a break from religiously watching anime for now, though I will be watching my new Elfen Lied box set on Friday. After that, I have 10 days free of school to watch Code Geass, which will almost certainly be an interesting venture.

Edited by Star Wars NutJob 69

Here we go again...

Equestria Girls 2: Confirmed!

Looks to have potential. The song is a little bit blah, but all we're hearing here is the chorus, so hopefully it's got a little more substance than what this video shows. Great visuals, and great concept — I've long been wanting to see a storyline that has the Mane Six form a band, and the Equestria Girls universe is perfect for that since it's a universe where they've become good friends before they've had a chance to settle in to very specific roles.

I'm interested in how Twilight Sparkle will be integrated back into the story. I know the Equestria Girls universe almost certainly has a Twilight Sparkle of its own, but if she's anything like the Twilight Sparkle we met in the Friendship is Magic premiere, making friends is probably not the first thing on her mind. And it would definitely be weird if a bunch of kids at your new school tried to befriend you based on preconceived notions of you that might not hold up in real life.

If only the toys were anywhere near the visual quality of the characters from the show... I have been quite disappointed by the current Equestria Girls toy offerings. The show went to great pains to ensure that the character designs were faithful to their pony versions. But the toys manage to be even more inaccurate to the characters than the regular My Little Pony toys are — they all have more or less the same makeup and eyes, rather than having diverse eye patterns like the regular My Little Pony toys, and they gave the characters horse ears like their "magical girl" forms while failing to give Twilight, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash believable pegasus wings.

Just finished watching Angel Beats today. The plot was certainly a very unusual one but it was very interesting. The concept of being focused in the afterlife is certainly an unique way to do things. Short though the series was, the plot was very fulfilling right until the end, even if a few plot holes were left in the series. I thought that the ending was very sad, considering all that had happened in the series. However, the little scene after the credits of that final episode left things on a happy note after all. Not as happy as the ending of Future Diary (not by any means) but still happy enough.

Hopefully whatever anime I look at next will impress me as much as the four I have watched so far have done.

Edited by Star Wars NutJob 69

Last night I finished watching the second season of Rozen Maiden. Each season so far has had 12 episodes, so it is another rather short anime. Even so, it is still a pretty good anime, even if it is very unusual. The plot essentially follows a group of living dolls (the Rozen Maidens) as they battle each other in something called the Alice Game to become Alice, who their creator considers to be the perfect doll but was never able to make her reality. Some of the dolls team up with humans, who are referred to as mediums to the dolls (the dolls use the power of their medium to fight, so become stronger when they have a medium). The main human character is one of these mediums, though in the first season he is far from a good person. As you can establish, the plot is very unusual. The use of plot twists in places helps the plot along in places. Tonight I need to watch the two OVA episodes before I wait for season 3 to be English dubbed.