Peppermint_M

Post about Cartoons and Anime you like

On 10/24/2020 at 10:48 PM, Oky said:
On 10/24/2020 at 10:10 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, in spite of that heavier focus on characters that you mentioned in comparison to the original (which again I've not yet seen), at least its adventure element still seems stronger when compared to other modern Disney shows I've looked into. I've tried getting into shows like Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Amphibia, and The Owl House per the advice of others suggesting shows to check out after Gravity Falls, but none of them really cut it for me like DuckTales did. Actually, it's kinda strange that its fanbase doesn't seem to be as big as those other shows' are, and hence it's seldom suggested by others in their "if you liked Gravity Falls" lists... :def_shrug:

You're right. I guess I shouldn't complain since true action/adventure shows are hard to come by these days. Those shows you mentioned I couldn't get into either, which is a shame since they do have potential to be great shows if they focused on the story more. I never even watched Owl House since it already looked like just another Star-type show. I was just comparing this reboot to the original. And for many, I think this is the problem. They compare it to the original too much and can't accept the changes.

One of the main things I appreciate about Gravity Falls & DuckTales is how they don't take their protagonists off to another realm/dimension like The Owl House or Amphibia do, instead keeping their fantastical adventures grounded to the reality they reside in. Star vs. the Forces of Evil on the other hand is more like Rick & Morty in that it splits its time 50/50 between its "home" dimension and others outside of that.

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

One of the main things I appreciate about Gravity Falls & DuckTales is how they don't take their protagonists off to another realm/dimension like The Owl House or Amphibia do, instead keeping their fantastical adventures grounded to the reality they reside in.

Yeah, I love that about the DuckTales universe too, that it is so full magic, science fiction, and superheroes that adventure is around every corner and literally anything can happen! Racecars, lasers, and airplanes are actually the most normal things in this show. :laugh:

Regarding the latest episode, can I just say that

Scrooge defeating the enemy using his pogo-cane jump from the classic video game was absolutely hilarious! I also very much appreciated the reference to one of my favorite Don Rosa comics, A Matter of Some Gravity!

On 10/29/2020 at 4:45 PM, Oky said:

Regarding the latest episode, can I just say that...

Yep, following the DuckTales subreddit has really been keeping me educated on all those deep-cut easter eggs, helping me further my appreciation of the show even if I am a casual newcomer to the fandom... :blush:

P.S. Do you know if fandom subreddits are the best place/platform to discuss these shows, or is there somewhere else I'm missing out on such? :shrug_confused:

Well, it's official: Darkwing Duck is rebooting on Disney+! :grin_wub: Let's get dangerous (again)! :smug:

On 10/31/2020 at 6:09 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

P.S. Do you know if fandom subreddits are the best place/platform to discuss these shows, or is there somewhere else I'm missing out on such? :shrug_confused:

No idea. I don't even use reddit. But surely there is some Disney fan forum out there. Let me know if you find a good one.

On 11/13/2020 at 4:34 PM, Oky said:

Well, it's official: Darkwing Duck is rebooting on Disney+! :grin_wub: Let's get dangerous (again)! :smug:

Except it looks like that it'll oddly be its own thing separate from the continuity of the DuckTales reboot, which speaking of such was just announced to be wrapping-up next year after another ten episodes... :sceptic:

Variety - DuckTales Reboot Canceled After Three Seasons at Disney XD

The “DuckTales” reboot will not continue past its current third season on Disney XD.

“The talented creative team, led by Matt Youngberg and Francisco Angones, have delivered exceptional storytelling with uniquely reimagined characters for three seasons of 75 episodes and more than 15 shorts,” a Disney XD spokesperson said in a statement. “While physical production is wrapping, ‘DuckTales’ continues to be available on Disney Channels and Disney+ around the world and fans will get an epic season finale in 2021.”

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On 12/6/2020 at 7:10 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Except it looks like that it'll oddly be its own thing separate from the continuity of the DuckTales reboot

Really? Where did you hear that? That would be an odd decision, but I wouldn't mind it since, as I said before, while it has grown on me, I wasn't a huge fan of the DuckTales version initially.

And yeah, it's sad to see DuckTales go already, but I'm just glad that we got what we got and that it was as good as it was. I'm not too surprised to be honest as I've been getting the feeling that the show was winding down for a while now with not many arcs left to be resolved, and Disney seems to love killing off their shows after only a couple of seasons. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the finale!

On another note, I've been watching Hilda on Netflix and it's an enjoyable show. It's not as exciting, mysterious, or funny as Gravity Falls and seems to be aimed at a younger audience, but it has a certain charm to it. I didn't think that I would like it since it has that laid-back tone that a lot of cartoons have nowadays and it is set in a world where magical creatures like trolls and elves are pretty common, making it feel less exciting when the characters come across them, but after watching a few episodes, you can see what the creators are doing. It's a nice metaphor for cultural relativism, the idea that something that is completely normal to you can be strange, exciting, or scary to others and vice versa. A good message for children, especially ones who move to a new place. Also, the fact that everyone talks with British accents and the show seems to be taking place around the 80's with the kids frequently going to the library instead of the internet makes it feel like a classic children's story. I also like that since all the magical stuff is relatively normal, the main character doesn't usually keep secrets from her mother which is rare in shows like this. So if you're looking for a feel-good show with some fantasy elements, I'd say check it out.

On 12/10/2020 at 7:59 PM, Oky said:
On 12/6/2020 at 9:10 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Except it looks like that it'll oddly be its own thing separate from the continuity of the DuckTales reboot

Really? Where did you hear that? That would be an odd decision, but I wouldn't mind it since, as I said before, while it has grown on me, I wasn't a huge fan of the DuckTales version initially.

While it's not confirmed yet, most are presuming it'll be its own thing given that no one affiliated with the DuckTales reboot looks to be working on this DarkWing project. 

Interested in hearing others takes on this. Used to be way bigger into both comics and superhero media in general but lately have fallen almost into normie territory with how little I consume. Anyways young Justice season 3, upset by the animation, mouth movements look wrong. Drawing style is a bit awkward. Dialogue feels unnatural and the mood feels very cartoony but not in an enjoyable way. I sat through I believe the first 4 episodes and have to say I wondered what I originally saw in the show. 

this is part of a greater trend I find that DC is slipping in the animation department. Their newer movies may not suck but aren’t at the qualify of Mask of the Phantasm or Under the Red Hood. It’s concerning bc DC is feeling a bit too comfortable slacking on their media. Their movies are already behind Marvel, if they keep slacking on the animation side, with the way their Lego sets are looking and the nearly empty roster of shows they have on Cartoon Network (it’d almost be better for the Brand if Teen Titans Go and DC Superhero Girls weren’t on at all) DC is going to lose its brand familiarity with kids. Heck I’d say kids born in the past decade probably overwhelmingly prefer Marvel. DC needs more animated series like JLU on TV and better animated movies and more video games with better graphics and yes better movies if they want to retain a spot as top dog. As a guy who prefers DC I gotta say I’m worried about the direction the company is taking and even feel motivated to go work for DC after college and enact some of the changes I’d like to see. Radical? No plenty of people strive for dream jobs. I want to make DC great again.

Been watching some DOTA Dragons blood.  I like it so far its from the same studio that does Castlevania.  It's got a good story so far and the fight scenes are done well.

Now I'm in season 3 of Castlevania.  Great show so far, love what they've done with it.  

I’ve been delving into the DC Universe this year and as part of that I’ve been getting into the DCAU. I’ve already watched through Batman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures and all three animated films that go with them. I’m in the process of watching Superman: The Animated Series. Coming from a guy who’s mostly been into the Marvel stuff, mostly the MCU, it’s pretty interesting to see a different take on superheroes!

Has anyone watched Attack on Titan?  And if so is it worth watching, I've heard some good things. 

Also has anyone watched Blood of Zeus? Curious about this one as well.  

1 hour ago, The Stud said:

I’ve been delving into the DC Universe this year and as part of that I’ve been getting into the DCAU. I’ve already watched through Batman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures and all three animated films that go with them. I’m in the process of watching Superman: The Animated Series. Coming from a guy who’s mostly been into the Marvel stuff, mostly the MCU, it’s pretty interesting to see a different take on superheroes!

Nice! You should watch Static Shock next, then Batman Beyond, then Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, then Justice League, then JL Unlimited.

I've also been catching up on some recent DC stuff. One thing that stood out is the Harley Quinn animated series. It's way better than I had expected. The animation is really good for such a comedy-heavy show and the comedy is pretty funny. But it also has some good, heartfelt serious moments and character development, and some good action too. It reminded me a lot of Venture Bros. in that way (R.I.P. :cry_sad:) and in how the villains are organized in this show. I'd even say it's the best characterization of Harley to date. Poison Ivy also has some good development. What I like best about it is that there is an epic story about Batman, his villains, and the Gordons going on in the background that wouldn't be out of place in B:TAS, but it's all told through the twisted, r-rated lens of Harley Quinn. The amount of cussing is a bit excessive, but overall I can really recommend it if you don't mind a more humorous and mature take on Gotham's underworld.

I also watched Pacific Rim: The Black and it's very good! I am a huge fan of the first movie and was a bit disappointed with the sequel. After just one season, this series is already up there with the first movie for me! It's a bit low on action and feels a bit more like Mad Max than Pacific Rim at times, but the story and character development are very good. Can't wait for the next season!

30 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Has anyone watched Attack on Titan?  And if so is it worth watching, I've heard some good things. 

Also has anyone watched Blood of Zeus? Curious about this one as well.  

I watched Blood of Zeus. It's not as good as Castlevania, but not bad. Worth a watch.

I'm curious about AoT as well.

14 minutes ago, Oky said:

Nice! You should watch Static Shock next, then Batman Beyond, then Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, then Justice League, then JL Unlimited.

I've also been catching up on some recent DC stuff. One thing that stood out is the Harley Quinn animated series. It's way better than I had expected. The animation is really good for such a comedy-heavy show and the comedy is pretty funny. But it also has some good, heartfelt serious moments and character development, and some good action too. It reminded me a lot of Venture Bros. in that way (R.I.P. :cry_sad:) and in how the villains are organized in this show. I'd even say it's the best characterization of Harley to date. Poison Ivy also has some good development. What I like best about it is that there is an epic story about Batman, his villains, and the Gordons going on in the background that wouldn't be out of place in B:TAS, but it's all told through the twisted, r-rated lens of Harley Quinn. The amount of cussing is a bit excessive, but overall I can really recommend it if you don't mind a more humorous and mature take on Gotham's underworld.

I also watched Pacific Rim: The Black and it's very good! I am a huge fan of the first movie and was a bit disappointed with the sequel. After just one season, this series is already up there with the first movie for me! It's a bit low on action and feels a bit more like Mad Max than Pacific Rim at times, but the story and character development are very good. Can't wait for the next season!

I watched Blood of Zeus. It's not as good as Castlevania, but not bad. Worth a watch.

Ok I might give it a watch once I'm done with Castlevania.  

What is Pacific Rim on a streaming service?

1 minute ago, zoth33 said:

Ok I might give it a watch once I'm done with Castlevania.  

What is Pacific Rim on a streaming service?

Also on Netflix.

1 minute ago, Oky said:

Also on Netflix.

Thanks.  Is there any other fantasy based ones you would recommend I'm trying to satiate my fix since GOT is done and the Witcher is still not out yet so I'm going through some anime until the live action stuff comes out.  I'm hoping Magic the Gathering comes out soon too.  And the LOTR amazon series won't come out till 2022.  

6 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Thanks.  Is there any other fantasy based ones you would recommend I'm trying to satiate my fix since GOT is done and the Witcher is still not out yet so I'm going through some anime until the live action stuff comes out.  I'm hoping Magic the Gathering comes out soon too.  And the LOTR amazon series won't come out till 2022.  

I'm usually more into sci-fi and don't watch a lot of fantasy, but The Dragon Prince is pretty good. It's made by some of the people who worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's not as good as A:TLA, especially when it comes to the animation, but it's still pretty good and has dragons and elves and magic and stuff. And as I've said on here before, the Tales of Arcadia trilogy (Trollhunters, 3Below, Wizards) is excellent as well!

Speaking of Avatar, what is everyone's thoughts on the newly announced movie and shows? I'm kinda excited, but also a bit worried because they will be on Nickelodeon and the last series, Legend of Korra, was flawed to say the least. I hope the studio won't interfere too much this time and let them craft some good stuff.

4 minutes ago, Oky said:

I'm usually more into sci-fi and don't watch a lot of fantasy, but The Dragon Prince is pretty good. It's made by some of the people who worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's not as good as A:TLA, especially when it comes to the animation, but it's still pretty good and has dragons and elves and magic and stuff. And as I've said on here before, the Tales of Arcadia trilogy (Trollhunters, 3Below, Wizards) is excellent as well!

Speaking of Avatar, what is everyone's thoughts on the newly announced movie and shows? I'm kinda excited, but also a bit worried because they will be on Nickelodeon and the last series, Legend of Korra, was flawed to say the least. I hope the studio won't interfere too much this time and let them craft some good stuff.

I like sci-fi too.  My youngest son is into the Trollhunter, Wizards.  I actually was into shows like the 100 but my oldest son said it got weird after season 4, I only got through season 2.  I just haven't watched a lot of sci-fi stuff recently.  When I was a kid it was star wars.  As a teenager it was Star Trek the next generation.  I heard the Expanse is good.  

I like a lot of superhero stuff too mainly Marvel but I do like a lot of the batman stuff out there

I hope that Avatar is done a lot better than Korra was.  

1 hour ago, Oky said:

I think I’ll save Static Shock for some other time, but I definitely plan on watching those other shows! I think that I’m going to try to go in a chronological order and watch JL, JLU, Batman Beyond, Return of the Joker, and then that Epilogue episode from JLU. I also hope that the rumors of a BTAS revival are true, as I’d love to spend more time with those versions of the characters.

I also want to watch Harley Quinn at some point, especially because I enjoyed the clips I’ve seen on Youtube but I’m not sure when I’ll get around to watching that one.

39 minutes ago, Oky said:

I believe this new Avatar/Korra content is supposed to be on Paramount’s streaming service if I’m not mistaken, not Nickelodeon. The movie kicking it all off is supposed to be a theatrical release. Hopefully they won’t be as restricted as they were when they aired on the channel!

I watched ATLA and TLOK for the first time last summer/fall and while I enjoyed them, I didn’t love them as much as lot of people seem to do. (I’m still disappointed that the ATLA submitted for Lego Ideas was rejected though.) So while I’m looking forward to watching this new content, I’m not overly excited about it.

19 minutes ago, The Stud said:

I think I’ll save Static Shock for some other time, but I definitely plan on watching those other shows! I think that I’m going to try to go in a chronological order and watch JL, JLU, Batman Beyond, Return of the Joker, and then that Epilogue episode from JLU. I also hope that the rumors of a BTAS revival are true, as I’d love to spend more time with those versions of the characters.

Sounds like a good plan! :thumbup: The reason why I suggested that order is because characters from Static Shock and Batman Beyond show up in JLU, but no biggie. And yeah, I also hope the revival comes to fruition, although I'm only cautiously optimistic since I haven't seen any revival except Samurai Jack that has matched the quality of its original so far and I have not been impressed by the recent movies that Bruce Timm has produced (Killing Joke and Batman & Harley Quinn were particularly bad) making me worry that he has lost his touch, but it will be worth it just to hear Conroy and Hamill reprise their roles again.

30 minutes ago, The Stud said:

I believe this new Avatar/Korra content is supposed to be on Paramount’s streaming service if I’m not mistaken, not Nickelodeon. The movie kicking it all off is supposed to be a theatrical release. Hopefully they won’t be as restricted as they were when they aired on the channel!

I watched ATLA and TLOK for the first time last summer/fall and while I enjoyed them, I didn’t love them as much as lot of people seem to do. (I’m still disappointed that the ATLA submitted for Lego Ideas was rejected though.) So while I’m looking forward to watching this new content, I’m not overly excited about it.

Correct. What I meant was that it is still being produced by Nickelodeon.

Fair enough. And yeah, I'm also disappointed. I believe there is another Avatar project still in review, but it's practically the same, so I don't have high hopes for it. Hopefully it will show TLG that there is clearly interest in more Avatar sets, and with this new wave of movies/shows, there will be plenty of material to tie sets into and make sets out of, so fingers crossed! :sweet:

"Assassination Classroom" is a good choice for beginners in anime. Just want to warn you: forget about logic and strange look of the Threat in the anime series. The main focus is in the ideas and opinions creators want us to see. 

Guys, guys. I started this so long ago. However I still have fun things to add! 

Owl House - Weird and fun, the last episode will arrive soon enough. LEGO and Owl House has created a Meme, so I know there is overlap here :poke:

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Owl House - Weird and fun, the last episode will arrive soon enough. LEGO and Owl House has created a Meme, so I know there is overlap here :poke:

What meme?
I keep hearing positive things about the show, so I might check it out at some point.

Currently, I'm watching The Legend of Vox Machina. It's a fun show with a pretty cool backstory and is a great way to get excited for the upcoming DnD Ideas set!

Amazon's other animated show, Invincible, is also pretty great.

Netflix also keeps producing quality animation. Arcane is especially fantastic, but some of their other shows like JW Camp Cretaceous, Daniel Spellbound, Sonic Prime, and Kung Fu Panda The Dragon Knight, while aimed at a younger audience, are not bad either. Not to mention their excellent animated movies like Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio, Klaus, or The Sea Beast!

I'm also enjoying the new Proud Family on Disney+. It's nostalgic and just as good as the original in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Oky said:

What meme?

LEGO Eda is a meme, there is a graphic of the character as a Minifig and through whatever mystery process, a meme was born.

I've been reliving my childhood lately. I've watched in the last couple months:

- the Magic School Bus (the original series and a few of the rather strange reboot)

- Thomas the tank Engine (watched series 1 thru 8 several times. I refuse to watch anything after the model series was started being phased out)

- Thomas and the Magic Railroad (only Thomas film ever made as far as I care)

- SpongeBob SquarePants (series 1 thru 5 and the first movie. after that, it got weird!)