Peppermint_M

Post about Cartoons and Anime you like

Young Justice is one my favourite western animated series,hopefully Netflix will pick it up for season 3.

Edited by LOTR34

I've been watching Steven Universe. So much better than I expected. Very surprising.

I know, right! I can honestly say that the TV series is responsible for my return to EB after a long hiatus almost 2 years ago. Really great show with really great messages.

That said the events of "Earthlings" really heaved me out.

ewww! I feel so bad for that character. Even though she was a megalomaniac and basically a gem-nazi, no one deserves that. Damn. I agree with Peridot (Peridot being the character who's initial appearance inspired my "Dr. Danielle Long" of Andromeda's Gates infamy). That's gross.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

I know, right! I can honestly say that the TV series is responsible for my return to EB after a long hiatus almost 2 years ago. Really great show with really great messages.

That said the events of "Earthlings" really heaved me out.

ewww! I feel so bad for that character. Even though she was a megalomaniac and basically a gem-nazi, no one deserves that. Damn. I agree with Peridot (Peridot being the character who's initial appearance inspired my "Dr. Danielle Long" of Andromeda's Gates infamy). That's gross.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Well, I'm not quite there yet. Just starting Season 2, actually. The finale for Season 1 was awesome.

Well, I'm not quite there yet. Just starting Season 2, actually. The finale for Season 1 was awesome.

I would listen to Garnet's song everyday after watching that for quite some time!

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The Adventure is over

Adventure Time to end after season 9

Part of me is both incredibly sad, while another side of me is so, so happy...

I was concerned this series would end before the amazing underlying story would come completely full circle, and the fact that they have a due date means that everything can be finalized.

I will be sad that it will be gone, but the idea that it is complete means so much more when you compare it to many, many other cancelled shows.

Now hopefully they'll have the time to finish Bravest Warriors...

13 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The Adventure is over

Adventure Time to end after season 9

That's a shame.

10 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

Part of me is both incredibly sad, while another side of me is so, so happy...

I was concerned this series would end before the amazing underlying story would come completely full circle, and the fact that they have a due date means that everything can be finalized.

I will be sad that it will be gone, but the idea that it is complete means so much more when you compare it to many, many other cancelled shows.

Now hopefully they'll have the time to finish Bravest Warriors...

I agree with this, though.  I'm happy that it will (thoretically) have a conclusion, and I'll look forward to whatever comes next.

I need to rewatch YJ: Invasion to remember some things but I hope they don't explore Roy Harper clones anymore, Rise of Arsenal is literally one of the worst JLA storylines ever

I just finished watching Part 1 of DreamWorks Animation's Trollhunters on Netflix and I have to say I love it! It has so much heart, action, and great animation for a kids show! While the story is the usual hero's journey, it is told very well and there is not a single filler episode. It reminded me a lot of other "Chosen One" stories that I love like Harry Potter or A:TLA and I would have expected no less from Guillermo del Toro. All the characters are very likable, even the sidekick who is yet another "fat kid" stereotype which Dreamworks has been overusing. The look of the trolls and the fantasy environments is great, although perhaps not quite as creative as in Del Toro's other works. The humor can get a bit childish, but sometimes it really works. With this and Voltron: Legendary Defender, Dreamworks has been knocking it out of the park with their Netflix shows. I can't wait for Part 2 and highly recommended you check it out!

And speaking of Voltron... Season 2 is coming in less than 2 weeks!!:sweet:

Wow, this topic has been sitting here gathering dust for a while. Let's change that.

Nintendo has announced that they're partnering with Illumination to make a Super Mario Bros. Movie. Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of the Super Mario character, and Chris Meledandri will co-produce. 

For myself, I'm happy Nintendo's finally realizing that their properties have the potential to make good movies when given to the right people. I don't think Illumination was the right call, though, especially with Meledandri's record of films, including Minions, Despicable Me, The Secret Life of Pets, The Lorax, and Ice Age and all it's sequels. I think I'm more interested in what we might potentially get if the film's successful, though. Nintendo might feel more confident in it's IPs and we might get some movies that I'd actually be excited to see, like Starfox, Zelda, or Metroid. Heck, I think Splatoon could make for a fun movie.

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Wow, this topic has been sitting here gathering dust for a while. Let's change that.

Nintendo has announced that they're partnering with Illumination to make a Super Mario Bros. Movie. Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of the Super Mario character, and Chris Meledandri will co-produce. 

For myself, I'm happy Nintendo's finally realizing that their properties have the potential to make good movies when given to the right people. I don't think Illumination was the right call, though, especially with Meledandri's record of films, including Minions, Despicable Me, The Secret Life of Pets, The Lorax, and Ice Age and all it's sequels. I think I'm more interested in what we might potentially get if the film's successful, though. Nintendo might feel more confident in it's IPs and we might get some movies that I'd actually be excited to see, like Starfox, Zelda, or Metroid. Heck, I think Splatoon could make for a fun movie.

What Star Fox needs is something able represent it, without relying on controls, or telling the Original Star Fox story for the second third fourth time.

A movie would be perfect.

My only gripe with Nintendo movies, is the need/want of (Hollywood) star power. I pray DESPERATELY that they get familiar characters with their game voices, but if they plan on using stars, I hope that they are for original characters. I feel changing voice actors for any of the staple characters in any of the (voiced) Nintendo IPs would by reason to stay as far away from a movie like this as possible.

But we can hope that they use their brains.

CardCaptor Sakura: Clear Card, Black Clover, Boruto, One piece (annoyingly, not in my region. GAH!) and Super Sentai. (Favourites are Engine Sentai Go-Onger and Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. If there was a service that showed super sentai for those outside of japan, but you had to subscribe to it, hell, I would press that subscription button!)

Just wanted to drop in here and say that Zombieland Saga is really good. I'm not particularly into the idol genre, at all, but this one really grabbed me and took me for a ride I don't think I'm going to forget anytime soon. Good stuff!

In light of recent news regarding a LEGO Ideas project of @figura's based upon such being prematurely shelved, I checked out both seasons of Disney's Gravity Falls over the past few nights, surprisingly enjoying it for the most part! :classic: More particularly, I enjoyed its second season more consistently as a whole over the first one, the former which for me could be a hit-or-miss from episode-to-episode. I guess if I had to list my top five favorite episodes, they'd have to be...

1. S2: Ep. 12 [A Tale of Two Stans]
  2. S2: Ep. 18-20 [Weirdmageddon Parts 1-3] *
  3. S2: Ep. 2 [Into the Bunker]
  4. S1: Ep. 18 [Land Before Swine]
  5. S1: Ep. [Irrational Treasure]

* Yes, I know that's three episodes right there rather than one, but it was just too seamless of a multi-episode arc to split-up and choice just one part. If I had to though, I'd have to chose its second act Ep. 19 [Escape from Reality], as I felt that was the most poignant and touching.

It's been a while since I've been back to the forum but I've become a huge She-Ra fan since it came out and figured I'd gush and out that here. 

In addition to She-Ra I've taken a fondness to some other Netflix originals such as Little Witch Academia, Kipo, and recently BNA: Brand New Animal, a show which ended kinda poorly imho but had a very enjoyable premise. 

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Anyone here checking out or keeping up with the current DuckTales reboot? Of all the modern Disney cartoons I've looked into after finishing Gravity Falls, the DuckTales reboot is the one I've found myself the fondest of, and I've never even seen the original or any of the other classic Disney Afternoon shows from then! In spite of such, it's been a ton of fun researching all the easter eggs and deep-cut references they've worked into this show's lore and worldbuilding, and the most recent one-hour Darkwing Duck special was a pretty fascinating example of that... :classic:

On 10/22/2020 at 4:52 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Anyone here checking out or keeping up with the current DuckTales reboot?

Absolutely! I think I mentioned this before in another thread, but I'm a huge fan of the Disney afternoon shows as I grew up with them as a kid, especially DuckTales and Darkwing Duck. And while I love the original, this reboot is great in its own way! It has some good story arcs and I like how they updated a lot of the characters. As a fan of the old shows, I squee like Launchpad anytime they reference them. Seeing things like DuckTales characters fighting Darkwing Duck villains with the help of the Rescue Rangers is a dream come true! Sometimes it almost feels like the show is made more for fans of the originals than a new audience with all these Easter eggs! A lot of people criticize the simplified art style, but I like it as it looks like the comics. Some things do bug me a bit, like how they changed Gyro from the kindest, most optimistic inventor into a grouchy, egotistical jerk (they do give a reason for this, but still) or how they tend to focus more on the characters than the adventures (I wish there was a better balance between the two) with some adventures taking place completely off-screen, but I get that they want to do something different and that's fine.

As for the Darkwing Duck special, I think Launchpad nailed it when he said that it was "not as good as the old Darkwing Duck show, but close". I was not a fan of how they turned one of my favorite superheroes into a has-been actor that no one takes seriously when they first introduced DW, but they won me over in this special as they show that even though he is such an incompetent loser, he still has the heart of a hero. It definitely felt like a backdoor pilot for a potential Darkwing reboot and I certainly wouldn't mind if they make one! :sweet:

Speaking of Duck-cartoons, I watched the recent Legend of the Three Caballeros series on Disney+ and found myself enjoying it quite a bit! It gave me some serious DuckTales vibes with Donald traveling the world with his friends and saving the world from an evil sorcerer. What I liked most about it is the high-quality animation. It looks like it would fit right in with the well-animated shows of the 90's. I also like how it uses lesser known characters from classic Disney cartoons as part of the main cast. Sadly, it's only 13 episodes, and even though they clearly leave it open for another season, there are no plans for one as far as I know. If you like DuckTales and other Disney 'toons, I recommend to check it out.

And I definitely recommend that you check out the original Disney Afternoon shows too!

On 7/7/2020 at 11:53 AM, Dannylonglegs said:

It's been a while since I've been back to the forum but I've become a huge She-Ra fan since it came out and figured I'd gush and out that here. 

In addition to She-Ra I've taken a fondness to some other Netflix originals such as Little Witch Academia, Kipo, and recently BNA: Brand New Animal, a show which ended kinda poorly imho but had a very enjoyable premise.

Yes, She-Ra was pretty good, and Kipo was too (although not as good as She-Ra imo). Between these, Voltron, and Tales of Arcadia, DreamWorks has been putting out some quality shows on Netflix!

Did I mention how awesome Tales of Arcadia is? Because seriously, if you haven't already, you need to watch Trollhunters, 3Below, and Wizards (in that order)! I can't wait for Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans!

I also watched Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous which is better than the Jurassic World movies (which isn't saying much) but honestly I can't stand most of the characters.

5 hours ago, Oky said:

Absolutely! I think I mentioned this before in another thread, but I'm a huge fan of the Disney afternoon shows as I grew up with them as a kid, especially DuckTales and Darkwing Duck. And while I love the original, this reboot is great in its own way!

Oh yeah, now I remember you bringing that up on your BrickHeadz MOC topic several years ago... :blush:

5 hours ago, Oky said:

A lot of people criticize the simplified art style, but I like it as it looks like the comics.

For me, that vintage, halftone art style was one of the main things that actually drew my attention to the show... :classic:

5 hours ago, Oky said:

Some things do bug me a bit, like how they changed Gyro from the kindest, most optimistic inventor into a grouchy, egotistical jerk (they do give a reason for this, but still) or how they tend to focus more on the characters than the adventures (I wish there was a better balance between the two) with some adventures taking place completely off-screen, but I get that they want to do something different and that's fine.

Well, in spite of that heavier focus on characters that you mentioned in comparison to the original (which again I've not yet seen), at least its adventure element still seems stronger when compared to other modern Disney shows I've looked into. I've tried getting into shows like Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Amphibia, and The Owl House per the advice of others suggesting shows to check out after Gravity Falls, but none of them really cut it for me like DuckTales did. Actually, it's kinda strange that its fanbase doesn't seem to be as big as those other shows' are, and hence it's seldom suggested by others in their "if you liked Gravity Falls" lists... :def_shrug:

6 hours ago, Oky said:

It definitely felt like a backdoor pilot for a potential Darkwing reboot and I certainly wouldn't mind if they make one! :sweet:

Given that they released it free-to-watch on YouTube right away, pretty much everyone's convinced that's what's going on... :wink:

6 hours ago, Oky said:

Speaking of Duck-cartoons, I watched the recent Legend of the Three Caballeros series on Disney+ and found myself enjoying it quite a bit! It gave me some serious DuckTales vibes with Donald traveling the world with his friends and saving the world from an evil sorcerer. What I liked most about it is the high-quality animation. It looks like it would fit right in with the well-animated shows of the 90's. I also like how it uses lesser known characters from classic Disney cartoons as part of the main cast. Sadly, it's only 13 episodes, and even though they clearly leave it open for another season, there are no plans for one as far as I know. If you like DuckTales and other Disney 'toons, I recommend to check it out.

How weird that I've never even heard of it before... :distressed: ...looking into it, I guess it's because it was initially released in Southeast Asia before arriving here? :shrug_confused:

12 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, in spite of that heavier focus on characters that you mentioned in comparison to the original (which again I've not yet seen), at least its adventure element still seems stronger when compared to other modern Disney shows I've looked into. I've tried getting into shows like Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Amphibia, and The Owl House per the advice of others suggesting shows to check out after Gravity Falls, but none of them really cut it for me like DuckTales did. Actually, it's kinda strange that its fanbase doesn't seem to be as big as those other shows' are, and hence it's seldom suggested by others in their "if you liked Gravity Falls" lists... :def_shrug:

You're right. I guess I shouldn't complain since true action/adventure shows are hard to come by these days. Those shows you mentioned I couldn't get into either, which is a shame since they do have potential to be great shows if they focused on the story more. I never even watched Owl House since it already looked like just another Star-type show. I was just comparing this reboot to the original. And for many, I think this is the problem. They compare it to the original too much and can't accept the changes.

12 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

How weird that I've never even heard of it before... :distressed: ...looking into it, I guess it's because it was initially released in Southeast Asia before arriving here? :shrug_confused:

Yeah, it's very strange how they handled the release of this show. They never really announced it and it went straight to streaming here. I only heard about it through a post on Cartoon Brew. It's no wonder that it's not getting a second season since nobody knows about it. :sceptic: