Peppermint_M

Post about Cartoons and Anime you like

Deadman Wonderland is done already. It was a pretty good series, despite the heavily disjointed plot (some aspects seemed to be swept under the carpet when new ideas emerged). There was high levels of gore, which I was all too aware of when heading into this. Plot twists were used, though having watched a few prison-based shows before some of them were quite easy to predict. Saying that, the plot twists weren't too bad really; after all, why make up lots of new plot twist ideas for a prison-based show when so many good and popular ones exist already? Most of the characters were quite forgettable and relatively one-dimensional, but there were select exceptions to this rule. A romance sub-plot was hinted at near the end of the series but was never built upon; ordinarily I would complain about something like that, but in this case it's good that they chose to focus on the gore, violence and absolute insanity rather than turning to romance. Speaking of the insanity, that was one of my favourite things about this series, and the insanity was excellently and realistically presented to make it more believable, and it certainly was believable. All in all, this series wasn't too bad but could have benefitted by having a second season to make things seem less disjointed (in terms of the plot line).

Next up will likely be Infinite Stratos, which I'm pretty sure is going to be an entirely different entity to what this was.

*EDIT* To hell with Infinite Stratos, I'm not going to watch that at all, and am instead watching Waiting In The Summer now.

Edited by Lord Rahl of Clannad

There's been an unexpected, but very exciting, development today. Season 2 of Sword Art Online has now arrived, and it's definitely a promising sign of things to come. The relationship of the main protagonists (as previously established in the first series) has been consolidated here, while plenty of new characters (including a sinister character who is undoubtedly going to be the main villain) have already been introduced. The only thing that is even remotely negative about that is that the plot idea seems as if it's going to be more or less the same as the previous series. Saying that, the first series was very good, so "If it ain't broke don't fix it", as they say.

As for Waiting In The Summer, I've only watched a couple of episodes so far, but it seems pretty interesting already. I'm almost certain that this will develop into a romance series soon enough, which will be nice if/when that happens. After all, it has been over a fortnight since I last watched a series with a proper focus on romance (Baka And Test has romantic elements in it but these aren't focused on so much, so I'm not counting it as a romance anime), and that series was Golden Time. Whether I will hold this series in as high esteem as Golden Time or not remains to be seen, but it will be interesting either way.

Finished Waiting In The Summer late last night, after what had been an insanely disorganised evening. Anyway, Waiting In The Summer was an interesting series, with a relatively simple plot which was almost entirely realistic (more on that later). As I predicted after a couple of episodes, this did indeed turn out to be a romance series, which was a good change of pace after a couple of weeks without any romance anime. The characters were all very good and very interesting, and few of them seemed to fit stereotypical anime archetypes, which was good. It was interesting to see the character relationships develop as the series progressed, and this side of things was handled very well. The ending was an interesting one, starting out rather depressing (considering the events of the series) before saying that there was a happier ending but not "directly" showing it. That's the best way I can think of to explain it, and it doesn't seem entirely accurate, so you would need to watch the series yourself to understand what I'm getting at. All in all, this was a very good romance series, but I have seen better before.

Next up is going to be a series called Mekaku City Actors, which sounds like it has a very interesting plot line. I guess I'll start to find that out tonight though when I get this started.

Mekakucity Actors is done, and I can safely say that I have never been so confused after finishing an anime as I have been with this. The series is instantly strange in a number of ways, not least the animation style, but the overall plot is basically an incoherent mess. In all honesty, I struggled to find much of an overall plot for the series; each episode (for the most part) seemed to be its own little sub plot, with only slight links between episodes at first. The way the plot was managed was just generally poor; being a 12 episode series did not help this, but a situation should not arise where so much confusing action and other stuff has to be crammed into one final episode. It was absurd. The characters were strange and I honestly can't remember much about very many of them. There was never a real major villain until right at the very end, and many different plot threads were hinted at but never built upon. So much unfulfilled potential. It's a shame really. Saying that, this series is still somewhat decent, but I've seen many series that are far, far, far better managed than this one.

Next up will be another short series, this time in the form of Dangan Ronpa. Hopefully this series will actually make some kind of sense, unlike Mekakucity Actors.

So this season of The Legend of Korra is off to a fantastic start. Between the three episodes that aired two weeks ago and the two that aired last night, I can't think of a single thing I haven't liked. Here's hoping the rest of the season continues that trend!

Oh man where do I start --

- Sailor Moon (I still need to see the first Crystal episode, my computer's internet's been a little finnicky with it, sadly x.x)

- Blue Exorcist (Specifically enjoying how, at least in the beginning, the protagonist isn't a violence-imbued ball of destruction and actually talked through and grew from a lot of bad situations)

- Full Metal Alchemist (Stiiiillll don't think a show has brought me to tears as often as FMA and FMA Brotherhood)

- Neon Genesis Evangelion (I watched it like... Freshman year? Of Highschool? I dunno [Kaworu/Shinji ship forever])

- No. 6 (More since like... again I saw it Freshman or Sophomore year in Highschool, so a while ago, but it was nice to see some romance building between the two male protagonists -- plus Nezumi as Ophelia was like... a whole scene I remember hugely, specifically due to some identity issues I had then and had later and it was like... I dunno, kinda felt nice?)

- Summer Wars (Anime movie, but I loved the message behind it and how everyone came together during the movie)

- Trigun (Kinda on the basis of "first anime I sat all the way through" and I adored Vash, I had the hugest crush on him)

- G Gundam/Gundam 00 (I've seen other Gundam series, but not in full -- I kinda just saw a little of SEED and Wing so I can't really say I like/dislike them -- but G Gundam is nostalgia for me, and 00 had an interesting cast of characters and plot to it, I felt)

- Hellsing Ultimate/Elfen Lied (They were extremely violent/bloody... but vampires are a weakness of mine, and as for Elfen Lied, there were some messages in the actual series that I picked up on that made me think about how society treats others/why it treats certain things the way it does and actually spurred on an interest in psychology and sociology).

- I did like Trinity Blood (Abel was like, again I had a lot of crushes in that show so haha -- but some concepts it had were interesting and I liked the characters, though I felt like the series sort of ended weirdly and without any real closure -- at least, the animated series. I have no idea if they ever did a season two or not?)

- Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler -- I really liked the first season a lot more than the second, though I think most of that is the first season felt more conjoined and the second felt a little disjointed, plot-wise -- plus, I really liked their portrayal of Angels)

- Disgaea (The Animated series, though the games are great, too!)

- Soul Eater (Black Star kinda grew on me over the course of the show, even though I maybe made a lot of fun of him and compared his irritability factor to the Naruto character [but unlike Naruto, Black Star actually develops in meaningful directions and we, the viewers, actually see it happen).

- Attack on Titan (I like it, it's not the best story-wise yet, but I'm still just on the beginning -- the animation is absolutely beautiful, though).

- Avatar the Last Airbender (I binged this when I was younger, with friends, and it was a huge part of my school days back then -- plus, I mean, who couldn't adore the dork that is Zuko? I haven't seen much of Korra yet, so I can't speak on that one)

- Prince of Egypt (Sort of like... it's a Dreamworks movie on a religious occurrence, but it's not... preachy? Like I'm not religious and I took a lot away from it, plus the music was absolutely lovely especially "Through Heaven's Eyes")

- I feel like I should give the first two Bionicle films a mention, though they were kinda... eeeeeeh as movies, it's more that I had a large group of friends into the series and when I think of the movies it sorta just reminds me of when I was quite little with a bunch of friends and us all dorking out and being nerds together... I can't watch the movies with a straight face anymore though, lol)

And there's like, probably an absolute ton of others I could go into (like, Lion King), but I kinda went ham with this list and it's getting long despite how I tried to only keep it to blurbs about each film/series. (I like my animated media, okay?)

That's Dangan Ronpa all done with. From the plot synopsis alone it sounded very unique and interesting, and it certainly lived up to such expectations. The characters were all relatively interesting, and it was intriguing to see how each of them handled the unusual situation they found themselves in. Monobear has got to be one of the oddest (and most sadistic) stuffed bears I have ever seen in any form of media, although such a feat isn't exactly too difficult. It was good to see that romance was little more than vaguely implied, rather than being the focus. As with Deadman Wonderland, it was better for this to focus on the violence and insanity rather than any possible romance. Saying that, this series is not on the same gore levels as Deadman Wonderland, not by a long shot. If anything, most of the focus was on how the cases were solved, so this was mostly a mystery drama. Because of this, the plot had the issue of occasionally feeling a bit repetitive, but things really picked up in the final couple of episodes. By this I mean things reached a whole new level of insanity and awesomeness. It was certainly surprising, yet it was also played out more or less perfectly. The ending is good in that it hints at the possibility of an extension to the story without actually making one overly necessary. All in all, this was an unexpected surprise in terms of how good it was.

As for what's next, that will be Log Horizon, which is apparently very similar to Sword Art Online.

Well I've finally got through all of Log Horizon. If I were to sum it up in one simple sentence, I would say: a far better executed version of Sword Art Online. Both this and Sword Art Online have extremely similar premises (people get trapped in MMORPG, so on so forth) but doesn't take too long to differentiate itself from its counterpart. While Sword Art Online takes the route of a harem (for the most part) Log Horizon focuses more on the actual world the characters in, and looks at how people would act in such a situation in a far more realistic fashion than SAO ever manages to do. Character relationships are established strongly here, and the same applies to the relationships between the large groups. Log Horizon also gives a greater sense of the world the characters are in and how everything works there. It's also far more exciting and dramatic, though it is bogged down for a few episodes with massive amounts of political chit-chat over proper action. Then we get romance brought into the fray right near the end, with various romantic relationships hinted at and given some development, but not really taken as far as would be expected. But with a second season coming in October, that isn't exactly too much of an issue. The only thing that did seem odd to me was that the characters did not seem to be overly concerned with the state of their bodies in the real world (or actually getting back there at all for that matter). Saying that, this is an excellent series, and I'm sure season 2 will continue this.

Next up will be A Bridge To The Starry Skies before I do a marathon viewing of the Toradora English dub on Thursday (the day after I finally finish school for the summer). It's going to be very fun, I'm sure of that.

A Bridge To The Starry Skies is done, and it was a rather pleasant series. The premise was simple and understated, and numerous typical anime archetypes were present in this series. A Bridge To The Starry Skies, having 7 main female characters, inevitably descended into harem territory but, being based on a visual novel, this wasn't a bad thing and was handled well. Part of the fun of any harem series is the art of trying to figure out which female the male protagonist would end up with, and imagining what would happen if the male protagonist ended up with one of the other females. This series is no exception, so it helps that pretty much all of the main cast are likeable characters, which makes it easier to connect with them. Each of the main females got their own mini-arc, which was surprising considering that this was only a series of 12 episodes. Of course, that's not to say that this is bad or hinders the plot; these mini-arcs do not fit either such description. If anything, each mini-arc is included to allow for the progression of the plot, which was very good. There was, at times, ridiculously high amounts of fan service, which is mostly quite annoying, especially as it leads to the inevitable: the beach episode. Nearly every anime ever has one, and so does this, but I am frankly tired of the idea. Such episodes are literally included for fan service and fan service alone and add nothing to the plot whatsoever. All things considered though, this is definitely a very good romance/harem series, but I have seen better before.

As said already, next up will be a marathon viewing of the Toradora English dub tomorrow (now that I am finally free of school for the summer). After that I'll be on anime hiatus to watch all 4 seasons of Game of Thrones, but once that's done I'll be watching a series called Shakugan No Shana, which has 72 episodes spread over three seasons (meaning that it will be the longest anime I have ever watched). Bring it on!

I'm watching Fairy Tail right now. It's really, really good! Kinda like a cross between Full Metal Alchemist and Naruto. Worth the watch!

My all time fave anime though is deffinitely FMA

So... that last episode of Korra, episode 10, was a hell of a thing...

In terms of my anime watching, these summer holidays have really not gone to plan. Since the start of the summer I've gone through the Toradora English dub, the Watamote English dub, 28 of the 72 episodes of Shakugan No Shana, 7 episodes of Glasslip, 7 episodes of season 2 of Sword Art Online and 3 episodes of Majimoji Rurumo, along with a rewatching of Steins;Gate. Frankly, I would have gotten further by now had I not broken my laptop a week into the holidays and then been left without it for two weeks (by which time it was finally repaired). As well as that, there are too many distractions going on. I'm enjoying everything I'm watching so far, but not getting far with it. Hopefully I can finish the second season of Shakugan No Shana by the 23rd, which really shouldn't be impossible to do. Nor should finishing the whole series before the start of September. Here's hoping that I can make more progress from here on out.

I'll have more to say of Korra's third season in a bit, but it was definitely more willing to take risks, most of which paid off immensely. If season two was disappointing, season three managed to rise up, stretch it's limbs, and then rip my heart out and stomp on it repeatedly. What I'm trying to say is it was really freaking good! :thumbup:

I just watched the Korra book 3 finale myself, and.... daaaaaaaang. It was incredible. I have high expectations for Book 4 — here's hoping Nickelodeon doesn't stupidly decide to axe the series before it reaches its conclusion.

If anybody's fallen behind on Korra, all of Book 3 is viewable on nick.com, and there's an ad saying the entire series (of what's been released, anyway) will be viewable there next Friday. Great opportunity to catch up. I can't wait until we get a release date is announced for Book 4!

A couple weeks ago there was also a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic marathon on the Hub, where they aired every single episode. I didn't get to watch everything, of course — I couldn't exactly call dibs on my family's TV for an entire week, nor could I bear staring at the TV screen for ten hours a day for five days even for a show I enjoyed. But I did get to catch many of my favorite episodes. I'm excited for season five of that show as well as the My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks movie which is coming out in a month or so.

I just finished LoK in a week. The first book was wonderful in it's own way. Book 2 fell somewhat short compared to Book 1. It was good though, not something to abandon the series over. Book 3 however... WOW! It's been a long time since I've been thoroughly invested in a character outside of an Anime. Book 3 took some daring risks. The payoff was unbelievable, and I cannot wait for Book 4.

Alright, I'm going to talk about The Legend of Korra season 3, so for those of you who haven't seen it yet, this is your warning before I pull the train into Spoiler City.

The previous season left a lot to be desired for me. It was poorly paced, retracted Korra's character, and in general left me with more questions than answers. I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't really clicking with me. The season squandered around with Varrick, who while enjoyable basically hijacked the show for half the season in a plot that was underdeveloped and confusing, and the main plot lacked a good villain. It was also very safe for the writers to go through the season's story the way they did. I enjoyed the stuff in the spirit world and with Avatar Wan immensely, but season two was more of a miss than a hit for me. I enjoy it enough to own it on Blu-Ray, but it's heavily flawed.

Season 3 was an exact opposite. This season was intense, character driven, and it took risks. The story's tone progressed well from swashbuckling action to an intense political thriller that gives Game of Thrones a run for its money. I won't delve too much on character, since we'd be here all day, but I want to officially give Asami special notice: here's a character who could've sucked, yet the writers managed to pull of the sophisticated young woman vibe and pull it off. She's probably my favourite character in the show, and I love seeing her interactions with others, particularly this season despite slightly less presence. These characters suddenly became people again, people I began to care about immensely, so when "Long Live the Queen" aired, it was not only a shock to see the writers kill of a character like the Earth Queen on screen, it was opening the flood gates to the possibility that anyone could die in the upcoming episodes. In fact, the season as a whole has some pretty intense stuff going on. I was genuinely on the edge of my seat a lot whenever Zaheer would show up, since he had presence, something Unaloq lacked. That and the Earth Queen's death was really quite disturbing, and the fact Nickelodeon was okay airing it was something I wasn't expecting. As a whole, the plot was slow, but it always kept me engaged. I never felt the plot dragged at any particular time. It played it's cards well, and knew when to surprise it's audience. The finale was a hell of a thing. It really was one of the best endings to a season I've seen in a while. It's bittersweet ending with Jinora becoming an Air Bending master and gaining her tattoos was a wonderfully triumphant moment, and you genuinely feel proud for the character, but that feeling of pride fades as the camera pans to an injured Korra in a wheelchair crying silently, ending the season on that image.

The Air Nation has returned, but Ba Sing Sei burns, the Earth Kingdom is in disarray, and the Avatar is temporarily out of commission. It's a dark place to end the season, and an excellent place to pick up season 4.

My interest and anticipation for this show was rejuvenated thanks to the excellent story, characters, and all around great production values on display here. Korra season 3 was amazing, and that really just sums my thoughts up. It was amazing. :thumbup::sweet:

Edited by Kintobor

Finally finished Shakugan No Shana in its entirety. I won't say too much, but I will say that this series is an amazing, intense action ride from beginning to end, occassionally balanced out by a slightly slower, more peaceful pace in places. The characters all receive exceptional amounts of development, and the plot is unique and gripping almost instantaneously. Each of the three seasons have strong points and weak points, but of them all season 3 was undoubtedly my favourite, and also one of the most enjoyable experiences of anime that I have had so far. The third series takes on a very unique plot concept, one which I find unlikely that many series would even have the audacity to attempt. Essentially, the plot of season 3 focuses on

the male protagonist becoming the main villain of the season, leaving the other main characters with an unexpected and unprecedented moral dilemma.

This alone is interesting enough, but the main protagonist's reasons for his actions are highly intriguing and show the lengths he is willing to go to to do what he believes to be right, regardless of how his friends may perceive his choices. The romantic elements in this third season serve to act as foundations, upon which almost everything the third series starts and ends as is built upon. The ending is basically the perfect ending for everyone, as more or less everyone gets some kind of happy ending. Even some of the villains get happy endings (of sorts), which certainly caught me by surprise.

Overall, I would highly recommend Shakugan No Shana to anyone who has the patience to sit through all 72 episodes, even at the points when it simply descends into filler territory. It's brilliant, and it is worth watching the first 2 seasons (which are both excellent in their own right) to be able to watch the masterful third season.

As for what's next, it will likely be Black Bullet, seeing as it seems to have been on my watch list for absolutely ages now.

*EDIT* So much for not saying too much :laugh:

Black Bullet is done already, and it turned out to be an interesting watch. The premise of Black Bullet is pretty much exactly the same as Attack On Titan's, but obviously in a more modern setting than what Attack On Titan is set in. The first episode consolidates this similarity, with some lines and aspects seeming like they were literally taken from the Attack On Titan script and adjusted slightly to fit the minor differences between Attack On Titan and Black Bullet. In all honesty though, all similarities between the two more or less stop there. Episode 2 onwards is where Black Bullet begins to diverge and become its very own entity. From here, the plot transforms, partially becoming a psychological thriller, discussing concepts such as discrimination and, in this case, the cruel irony of the discrimination. In this case, the cruel irony is that the people being discriminated against are the ones who can actually give humanity a chance of survival and, eventually victory; the cruel irony is that people are persecuting and killing the very people who could save them all. In other places, the plot is a typical action anime, with hints of politics and romance mixed in as well. It all adds up to an interesting and well executed story. As for the characters, though they aren't exactly bad, few of them receive much actual development, so few of them are really very memorable. Obviously the two main protagonists are the most memorable, and two characters who start out as villains are also very memorable. As is a third protagonist, though this is only because her personality seems to take a massive u-turn in the final episode, which really came out of nowhere and almost ruined the entire last episode. Thankfully, the scene that followed ensured that the final episode wasn't ruined, while also ensuring that the series ended in a satisfactory manner. Overall, this is a great series, though I think the addition of a second season would make it even better.

Next up is going to be The Pet Girl Of Sakurasou, which I have heard lots of good things about, so my expectations are quite high. Hopefully it will be able to live up to my expectations.

I finished The Pet Girl Of Sakurasou earlier, and I would like to start by saying that this well and truly lived up to the high expectations that I had of it beforehand. This series is, in many senses, a typiucal slice-of-life anime, by which I mean it includes romance, is set in school and doesn't always have a lot happening (though there is always high amounts of character-based drama). As with any series of this type, the whole thing is essentially dependant on how much you can like and relate to the characters; if you don't like the characters, or cannot relate to them, the series falls flat. Thankfully, the characters in this series are all very relatable and likeable, and all are developed well and in a realistic manner. Of course, some characters do cater to typical anime archetypes (e.g. overly nice and clueless protagonist, tsundere, little sister, shut-in etc.). However, these characters are presented and developed in such a way that you cannot help but like them. Of course, the characters are integral, but the flow of the actual plot is also important, and here it is carried out perfectly; it doesn't drag out for too long, packs a few surprises along the way and keeps your attention, even at the "duller" moments. Another aspect of this series which helps makes this so good is the extreme hilarity of it, particularly early on; I frequently laughed so hard that I cried while watching this series. Of course, this comedy is balanced out by the more serious moments which develop as a result of the drama and romance. Speaking of the romance, or in this case romances, they are all developed excellently and presented in such a way that you can really get behind it. It's also interesting to see a series which develops multiple romances as the series progresses, which is something that I have almost never encountered before (at least, not on the scale that The Pet Girl Of Sakurasou does it. Overall, this series is absolutely amazing and is definitely a must watch if you enjoy slice-of-life anime and romance anime (as well as anime with a healthy dose of comedy).

I've already started on my next main watch, which is in the form of Dream Eater Merry. It seems interesting so far, though I have to admit that I got distracted in the first episode by all the voice actors that I recognised from Clannad and Angel Beats (at least 5 in the first episode alone).

Dream Eater Merry is done, and I can say that it wasn't exactly anything special. Sure, it was decent, but it wasn't mindblowing or anything like that. This was another series which is an incomplete adaptation of a manga, which means that the story is incomplete and a lot of stuff is compressed into a small amount of episodes.

I've already started my next series, which is in the form of Nanana's Buried Treasure. So far, it seems like it will be very interesting. But will it continue to be as exciting and intriguing?

And that's Nanana's Buried Treasure done with as well. I have to say, this series really caught me by surprise. I went into it with relatively muted expectations, not exactly expecting anything spectacular or unique. What I watched surprised me entirely; Nanana's Buried Treasure was actually really good. The plot idea in itself, though not really unique on the face of it (after all, Anohana also had the boy meets ghost thing), quickly separates itself from the crowd with the idea of finding loads of items that have unusual (and often remarkable) magical properties. Granted, that second part of the plot idea doesn't sound too unique either, but I assure you that it certainly feels unique as you watch it; this is mainly down to the way in which the plot is executed and carried out. Of course, only being 11 episodes long, a lot of stuff (and I do mean A LOT of stuff) has to be compressed in, but this is handled rather well. The characters (for the most part) develop in a realistic manner, and many characters receive thorough character development throughout the series. All of the important characters are given their own unique traits to distinguish them from the crowd, and some of them even have extremely surprising secrets about themselves. There is also romance present in this series, though it isn't exactly developed as well as it could have been (though I blame this entirely on the short length of the series). The romance that does begin to develop is carried out well and effectively shows how relationships of a romantic nature often develop slowly and unseen, even to the people who will be involved in the romantic relationship. All in all, this is a series which doesn't have much of an unique plot idea, but it still stands out from the crowd due to how uniquely it is presented and due to how good the series is as a whole.

Again, I've already started my next series, this time in the form of Heaven's Memo Pad, which seems like it could be very good based on the first episode (which is 48 minutes long for some reason). Here's to hoping that it ends up as good as it has started.

The Korra finale was indeed very good, although not great in my opinion. There was some good action and the end was very bitter sweet. However, I felt it was a bit too predictable. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed when the part where Zaheer turns into Amon for a moment turned out to be an illusion. It would have made no sense of course if it wasn't, but it would have been a great plot twist in my opinion, mainly because Amon is still the best villain this show has had so far and it would have been great to have him return, but oh well.

Also, this finale opened up more questions than it answered. There are some plots that were never followed up on, such as the spirits settling into the human world and Republic City's vine problem. The spirits did show up here and there to help the protagonists, but for the most part you forgot that they were even there. And there are other open questions too, like how the heck did the harmonic convergence cause random people to get airbending powers? Is Toph ever going to show up? And most importantly, when are Zuko and his dragon finally going to do something interesting? :grin:

But these are all just nitpicks of course and will probably get answered in the next season. There was still a lot to like here, like the outstanding animation, and I do look forward to the next (and quite possibly last) season. Here is a video showing the Korra stars and creators talk about the videogame, the Book 3 finale, and a tiny bit about Book 4:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/25/the-legend-of-korra-game-release-date-and-new-mode-plus-what-to-expect-in-book-4?abthid=53fb73353ca053475c000012&vcs=social_20140827_30517306