Sign in to follow this  
Capn Frank

USS Constitution Landing Craft: Captain's Gig mostly done

The landing craft completed so far!

Captain's Gig:

Mostly Done

th_mostlydone1.jpgth_mostlydone5.jpgth_mostlydone2.jpgth_mostlydone4.jpgth_mostlydone3.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured that I could post my landing craft in a separate thread since they're pretty much eh... ...separate. :look:

These landing craft are a pretty significant size on their own and need to be built much differently than the frigate.

I figure all of the landing craft (6 total i think) will be in this thread since they're all going to have close to the same type of construction anyways.

Here are some progress pics of the Captain's Gig:

progress01.jpg

progress02.jpg

progress03.jpg

I had built a Cutter a while ago for the Constitution but wanted to build boats that didn't rely on the modern bow pieces.

I had based this idea on mainly on Captain Green Hair's and Errorist's long boat.

A great start! :thumbup:

I do enjoy white-hulled boats, rather than brown.

I can't give any improvement suggestions, apart from that an old-style skeleton arm instead of the half-pin between the 1x1 brick and 1x5 arch in the prow would eliminate the gap caused by the half pin. (Put the arm into the brick first, to stop it getting stuck inside the arch :pir-wink: )

Top notch start there Phred. I do admire the many different techniques you guys use to build brick hulls of different boats. All I could suggest is that you use all white, not faded stuff, although I would guess that was the plan already. Fantastic mate, keep us posted. :pir-classic:

Yep, time to get the paint out! The Imperial Navy can't have grotty yellowing boats.

Ah, wait a minute... USS... No Imperialism after all...

I must sabotage your building site before you invade canada!

You had to bring up the War of 1812 :pir-hmpf_bad: . This kind of thing is like the Redcoat Vs. Bluecoat issue, and distracts from the MOC. Sorry if I sound like a mod, but now I realize why CGH banned RVB in MOC threads.

Anyways, this landing craft is looking good! The paneling looks nice, but if you are going to make soldiers for the ship, this is a good torso (I made it :classic:). You can use it with white legs, red epaulettes and a tricorne, for historical accuracy. The shakos and torsos are, in my opinion, too imperialistic for an american army:

new_imperial_front_orig.png

Thank you for the complements ppl!

How many troops would yer be fitting into one of these fine vessels?

I have no idea! :pir_wacko:

I don't have the info that describes how many ppl should be able to fit in these craft. :blush:

I can't give any improvement suggestions, apart from that an old-style skeleton arm instead of the half-pin between the 1x1 brick and 1x5 arch in the prow would eliminate the gap caused by the half pin. (Put the arm into the brick first, to stop it getting stuck inside the arch :pir-wink: )

Thanks for the suggestion SlyOwl :pir-classic:

The shakos and torsos are, in my opinion, too imperialistic for an american army:

The uniforms are accurate from the photo's i've found of ppl donning 1812 naval uniforms:

1812.jpg

I've also seen where very similar uniforms are worn in 1812 drawing and paintings found in a book i've borrowed from the library.

I am very curious where you have gotten the naval uniform you described below:

...if you are going to make soldiers for the ship, this is a good torso (I made it :classic:). You can use it with white legs, red epaulettes and a tricorne, for historical accuracy.

Looks very good Phred and the minifigs "costumes" are perfect!

And as usual the officer hides behind the boat and soldier :pir-grin:

I am very curious where you have gotten the naval uniform you described below:

Forgive me, those are american army uniforms from 1770-1810, how could I have made a mistake like that?! :pir_laugh2:

The uniforms are accurate from the photo's i've found of ppl donning 1812 naval uniforms:

1812.jpg

And would I be correct in assuming that the red and blue uniforms are that of the same nation? :pir-grin:

And would I be correct in assuming that the red and blue uniforms are that of the same nation? :pir-grin:

Finally! Some solid proof for you dimwits that red and blue are the SAME! :pir_laugh2:

Look at the shakos, the same logo on both red AND blue.

I honestly think that LEGO intended them to be on the same team, as they had a common enemy - the Pirates. :jollyroger:

I honestly think that LEGO intended them to be on the same team, as they had a common enemy - the Pirates. :jollyroger:

Now, now Captain Zuloo. "Dimwit" might be a little strong as there is at least some evidence to suggest the blue coats could be French. Although it doesn't make sense to me that they are French given that Governor Broadside has recently appeared in 6242 Soldier's Fort. It seems far more logical red are marines, blue is naval, and yes, both red and blue did work side by side, and that includes naval warefare. There are some great recreations of this in the Hornblower TV movie series.

Finally! Some solid proof for you dimwits that red and blue are the SAME! :pir_laugh2:

I wouldn't say Phred's photo is "solid evidence" either because the men pictured are not Imperial Guards, these are men of the United Seasmen's Service who were contracted under the US government.

However, we already have pictures in another thread of the British blue coat and red uniforms, as well as, the French uniform so you can compare all three. Interesting to note however the blue coat mini-figure torso more closely represents the British blue coat uniform than the French uniform.

How many troops would yer be fitting into one of these fine vessels?

• 1 Midshipman
  • 3 crewmen
  • 6 arabs
  • 1 Master Chief
  • 1, possibly 2, Ewoks
  • total = 12 - 13 :grin:
    mostlydone1.jpg

And as usual the officer hides behind the boat and soldier :pir-grin:

That's the Captain. :pir-laugh:

not faded stuff
can't have grotty yellowing boats.

:pir_bawling:

Ya know, when parts of a lego collection are 22 years old, there are bound to be some yellowing. :pir-tongue:

Forgive me, those are american army uniforms from 1770-1810, how could I have made a mistake like that?! :pir_laugh2:

No worries. I may have to create a small unit of american artillerymen from that era then! :thumbup:

Yes, the red and blue uniforms are of the same nation. :thumbup:

The uniformed marines are worn by drummers and trumpeters, and the dark blue uniforms are worn by the other enlisted marines.

I have gotten mostly done with the Captain's Gig (well, as done as i'm going to be at the moment)

I really like the way the hull turned out.

Not liking the benches too much though; I'm sure i (or someone else) will think of something. :pir-wink:

mostlydone5.jpg

mostlydone2.jpg

I am also not too sure about the rudder; I don't know if i'd like a plate or brick-built rudder. :pir-sceptic:

Here's the underside:

mostlydone4.jpg

mostlydone3.jpg

If anyone has improvement ideas or seen someone else build a better rudder or benches, please let me know! :thumbup:

Your lifeboat looks very nice! Maybe a brown line on the outside would also look good, like on this picture:

Thomsen_USS-Constitution_3.jpg

And, who is that monster sitting at the bow of the ship? :pir-sceptic::pir_laugh2: The master chief?

Edited by YnyklY

I must sabotage your building site before you invade canada!

The Americans already tried once and failed, they learned there lesson from a bunch of farmers and Indians :pir-laugh::pir-laugh::pir-laugh: They won't be back any time soon :pir-wink:

Looks good Phred, I must go home and trie my hand at making one of these fine craft.

Ratshot

The Americans already tried once and failed, they learned there lesson from a bunch of farmers and Indians

Seriously, no more War of 1812 Canada rules stuff- it is old and brought up in every thread dealing with this time period and MOCs with American soldiers. Stick to the MOC.

Finally! Some solid proof for you dimwits that red and blue are the SAME! pir_laugh2.gif

Also Red vs. Blue- enough already. There is evidence the blue coats may be French, I have also heard references to comics saying they are Spanish- regardless, none of that indicates what the redcoats are and if they are different... all that doesn't even reach if the Armada sets are also the same side- I think we should just let everyone have their own opinion and move on so we can discuss this nice MOC.

Anyhow, nicely done Phred my boy. I have to agree with YnyklL, I think a tan or a brown line across the top would look really sharp and it would match your rudder on the back perfectly.

I also think your landing craft needs another Ewok and a few storm troopers to be TRULY complete.

Forgive me if you mentioned this in the first post but- are you planning to make multiple landing craft for the Constitution? Or at least several of varying sizes?

I know they are harder to come by, but it looks like your gig might work better with the larger ores found in the Viking and Troll warship sets... or do you think the paddle heads on those are too large for this boat?

Your lifeboat looks very nice! Maybe a brown line on the outside would also look good, like on this picture:

Thomsen_USS-Constitution_3.jpg

Hey, you're right. It would look very nice! :wub:

I don't have all the brown i'd need , so i'll have to make a BL order with all the needed bricks.

And, who is that monster sitting at the bow of the ship? :pir-sceptic::pir_laugh2: The master chief?

Sorry for the crummy pic. :pir-look:

The Ewok is on the very front brandishing the sword, and the master chief is rowing right behind the Ewok. :thumbup:

The Americans already tried once and failed, they learned there lesson from a bunch of farmers and Indians :pir-laugh::pir-laugh::pir-laugh: They won't be back any time soon :pir-wink:

Ever watch Canadian Bacon. :pir-tongue:

Forgive me if you mentioned this in the first post but- are you planning to make multiple landing craft for the Constitution? Or at least several of varying sizes?

I know they are harder to come by, but it looks like your gig might work better with the larger ores found in the Viking and Troll warship sets... or do you think the paddle heads on those are too large for this boat?

Yes, i will be making 6 or 7 landing craft (don't remember the exact amount :blush: )

Vessels very similar to the pic YnyklY posted above.

I think the ore paddles may be too large for this craft. I'll have to do some experimentation and more research to come to a final conclusion.

BTW: yeah i think you are right about the Storm Troopers and Ewoks.

I'll have to put those on the next vessel. :thumbup:

Those are starting to look like fine vessels Phred, very smart use of the sloped bricks on the bow! :thumbup:

I think i would like a brick build rudder more, since it can be made studless that way.

The brown line Capt. Blackmoor mentioned would also be a great touch.

I'd make the benches a bit wider and all at the same height, so they fit just above the thicker lower line in the hull. (Did that make sense)

Keep it up Derph!

I'd make the benches a bit wider and all at the same height, so they fit just above the thicker lower line in the hull. (Did that make sense)

Yes, maybe raising the seats up one stud and making them seven studs wide would look better. :pir-wink:

Looking great Phred, keep it up. :thumbup: