Sign in to follow this  
Davey

MOC: Set#7720 Redux

traintech1.jpg

The Brickster has inspired me with his recent work with some of the other classic 4.5V and 12V trains, so I decided to jump in and convert one of my favorite classic sets to 9V. I received LEGO Set #7720 (Battery Train Set) sometime in the 1980's from my parents. It was my first introduction to LEGO Trains and ignited a passion that has stayed with me all these years. Although my 4.5V motor has since died, I felt that this engine deserved to live on in 9V form. It will now be a permanent fixture of our layout pulling the small LEGO hopper cars.

1248095110m_DISPLAY.jpg

I even managed to find the bricks that have the original stickers on them. It's amazing how well they have survived in my collection for almost 20 years! I still have all the pieces, the instructions, and the box for this set. In fact, the box even has the original price sticker on it...$59.95. What a deal!

12480951112_DISPLAY.jpg

12480951113_DISPLAY.jpg

You can find more pictures on my Flickr page, MOCPages, or Brickshelf. Links are below in my sig.

Enjoy!

-Dave

ToT-LUG

Fantastic creation Dave! It's great to see these 4.5 and 12V sets recreated once again. I can see a lot of resemblance to the 7760 Diesel Shunter here. I don't recall this set from my childhood but it looks like it would have made a young child very happy. I can see how it sucked you into the hobby. Lego should produce a few of these sets as Legends - or even some sort of "classic train collection". Wouldn't that make a great set?

In regard to this model, I like the double lights and sticker used for the front end and the split shutters between the front and back. It really does look a lot like the 7760, just a bit smaller. Overall, very nice.

And I see that you have it pulling a blue hopper. That's like a double awesome. I might check out the instructions for the blue hopper never having tried to make one.

Great build/restoration! I hope you share more. :thumbup:

Isn't it funny how great minds think alike! I've been converting the same loco for my 12 volt layout. I have to agree with you guys, it's a lovely little model. I even had a go at adding some detail to the driving cab, but sadly there wasn't enough natural light to let me take photos of the inside.

3743324624_f107047daa_o.jpg

I decided to make the roof line flush with with windows to give it a slightly sleeker appearance. Apart from that and the grey ladders on the sides, it is exactly as the original instructions.

3742534127_d37f9b5fdd_o.jpg

So who fancies building a blue, green or yellow version?

Wow! Both of those look great! This was my first train set and still one of my all-time favorites. I too wanted the engine to be free-wheeling, so I removed the wheels from the motor and placed them on a 2x4 axle brick, then placed those on each end of the motor. Again, great job guys!

Great train, but to get it more original you can use the 12v motors form the blue area trains.

b_-_inner_view_of_locomotive_7720.jpg_thumb.jpg

True...but seeing as I have no 12V stuff and it is very expensive to acquire here in the US, I went with the 9V method. :classic:

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg