Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Making Custom sails...

This is exactly what the guy on that page wrote. If only I could find it again... I'll try.

What do you mean by a "page". Like a webpage or a page from a forum like this or a page from a book or something else?

Well I was looking through older threads and saw one about making custom sails...Which I do. But mine look absolutley old..Like they would realy back then.

I use old cloth that I found at my grandma's And nice fabric will do as long as its Tightley woven...Take real LEGO sails and trace with a ball point pen onto the fabric. Use acrylic matte medium...on the lines where the holes are and around so it thread doesnt come out when you cut. make the holes with what u can find..I use a leather hole punch or Enscence. Yes I light it and just burn through its just about the right size and goes well. If you still see pen lines u can use white glue mixed with a bit of water and brush it on the lines..They should go away.... I let that dry then use cofee to die it brown...I like the color of cofee:D Once its soaked with cofee let it dry and put it on your ship! Your ready to go.

*Material: A trip to the fabric store yielded light canvas, intended for lawn chairs, in natural brown and a variety of patterns . . . including solid red and red-and-white stripes. It's a bit heavier than the real Lego sails, but it's basically perfect. The patterned canvas is painted rather than dyed, so it has a "right" and "wrong" side.

You guys can also read this....Here

Not very long perhaps 1 hour.... This post was not ment for pics but more for telling you how..But I think what I will do is make new ones soon when I get me new sets for Christmas (Imperial trading post and a ship whcih is secret because it is for my brother and he is beside me:D)

I will make a tutorial taking pictures along the way, so wait for it!!! And if you wanna see pics of the first ones I had made then

LotusblackFrontSails.jpg

but those where made with no template of real lego sails and are very rough as u can see from the left side of the sail :D

But they give a very piraty look very realistic..

This reminds me of my last graphic design assignment. I wasn't allowed to use paper so I decided I'd use parchment, but I didn't know where I could obtain any from. So I took some chamois, wrinkled them up, then stained them with coffee and tea. It worked really well!

an Idea you may want to consider as well is the use of spray starch. Spray your sails (the back) with spray starch, iron them and then they will be nice and stiff. You will have to judge how much starch you use (you may want your sails not so stiff or you may want them stiff - judgement call :-D ) I can tell you it works great.

The other thing I when I didnt have any canvas to work with was to create a template and print out my own for use in my medieval cogs.... The paper is almost as thick as photo paper but not quite, and it is shiny so it gives it a gloss.

I would like to try some of that laser printable canvas you can buy so I can put my own designs on the sails.

Would spray on starch work well with the ordinary canvas sails that come with the sets? Sometimes they get a bit limp, especially after washing and ironing.

Would spray on starch work well with the ordinary canvas sails that come with the sets? Sometimes they get a bit limp, especially after washing and ironing.

i havent tried it but i imagine so