Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Making Custom sails...

I've seen some MOC ships with custom sails and I'm wondering if anyone has made any?

If so, what material is best?

I wish I knew what Material Lego made theres out of... okay... I wish I knew how to make it the exact same as lego makes it... I mean obviously without the color but I wouldn't mind just having white sails.

But yes, that is a pretty good MOC...

I wish I knew what Material Lego made theres out of... okay... I wish I knew how to make it the exact same as lego makes it... I mean obviously without the color but I wouldn't mind just having white sails.

But yes, that is a pretty good MOC...

I also think Lego's are best. More patterns would be welcome but that would break my no-customs rule...

God Bless,

Nathan

Sails of thick paper aren't perhaps one of the strongest, but their virtue is that when you have a printer you can make sails with any pattern/colour you want. Just have to remember to remove them while washing your ships :) And when torn, you can always print and cut new ones.

I will once again refer to my HMS Progress as an example.

progress26.jpg

Here you can see three custom sails, two of which have Imperial Guards' insignia. I made them by scanning Imperial Flagship's sails and printing the same pattern on my own paper sails, filling the rest of their surface with original Lego sails' canvas colour background.

progress7.jpg

progress3.jpg

At the back they look the same, just lacking the insignia.

As you can see this is an easy way to make any sails you want. I don't recommend using just plain white paper, bacause it looks just like paper and nothing more. But printing a pattern, just a subtle one, resembling fabric, makes the sail look much more realistic.

Sails of thick paper aren't perhaps one of the strongest, but their virtue is that when you have a printer you can make sails with any pattern/colour you want. Just have to remember to remove them while washing your ships :) And when torn, you can always print and cut new ones.

You've given me an idea! Some printers can print onto fabric while others can print onto iron-on transfers which can be applied to other materials. Maybe that would be an effective way to apply designs to sails.

Someone try it for me!

I used standard white copy paper to replace some sails from small pirate boats some time ago and it worked perfectly. At least for the optical aspects...

You can always buy canvas in the shop, there is a variety of colours/patterns/thicknesses, some of them might make great sails.

I have no idea.

One thing I don't like about original Lego sails is that some of them are printed on one side only, like in the Renegade Runner or Armada Flagship.

No, they should just draw stripes on the other side, without emblems, but not leave it like that when we have no print but pattern from the front side can be seen shining through.

No, they should just draw stripes on the other side, without emblems, but not leave it like that when we have no print but pattern from the front side can be seen shining through.

That's a good point, I never thought of that easy solution before...

God Bless,

Nathan

Well it's definitely thick enough if you look at all of Black Seas Barracuda's or Caribbean Clipper's sails or Renegade Runner's and Armada Flagship's triangular sails.

Yeah I'm looking at the Skulls Eye Schooner sales from behind right now and I can easily see the stripes on the reverse side. If it had decorations on both sides they'd definitely interfer with one another.

Stripes should be exactly in the same places on both sides like in the BSB where they don't interfere at all.

Yes, I see. If the designs are completely symmetrical then they're going to look the same regardless of what side they're on.

And when you imagine that for example Armada Flagship's main sail (the one with the crown) has those stripes on the other side as well, but the emblem on one side only, it will be visible on the reverse side a bit as well but it won't disturb me.

In my opinion it would look better having the emblem on one side and just stripes on the other so the emblem wasn't visible at all. But that's only a minor complaint! I think sails that face directly ahead only need a design on one side, but sails on the side like in the Renedage Runner and Imperial Flagship could probably benefit with the design on both sides.

Does anybody know the correct name for the type of sails I've described?

Well I'm no expert in this terminology but I think the Renegade Runner is a fore-and-aft-rigged vessel, with the sail with skull and crossbones being the main sail and the triangular one being the jib.

What about the Imperial Flagship?

I once found a page where a guy who was an expert in sailing described all Lego ships and compared them to real ships, and said which of them were the most realistic, and named the types of the vessels. It was more than a year ago and I can't find it now.