Sign in to follow this  
F0NIX

MOC: Old Norwegian Trainstation

traintech1.jpg

First of all, I'm new to this train stuff. I live in a town with no history of trains (Tromsø). Nearest real trainstation is about 259km driving from where I live :)

But I said "real" because we have a pub that is called "Jernbanestasjonen" (translates to Trainstation). On the outside there is 2m off railtracks hanging on the wall and the inside is decorated as the inside of a passenger train coach. They also just for fun have a calling system that time to time advertise for the incoming train from Vladisvostok that allways is delayed.... :)

Well, I have been on a train a few times in my lifetime when traveling in the south part of this country (Norway) or other countries.

That is enough of introductions, but know you understand why I have not been into this train stuff until now.

I have some old train tracks (the old 4.5v system with plastic tracks) and some old train sets. But last year I first bought the 7897 Passenger Train and some tracks. Later I bougt the 7898 Cargo Train Deluxe. I also bought the NXT IR-link for my NXT system. And was planning having som fun with them.

First I built a pedstrain bridge to have over the traintrack that was going to hide som sensors for the NXT system.

Then I needed a trainstation.... But how to build one when you dont know how they look like??

I searched the internet and found a nice Norwegian train-fan site with lots of pictures of trains and trainstations in Norway. It is called http://www.jernbane.net, it is in Norwegian only. It has a forum and a service for members to upload their images. All of the train tracks in Norway is listed here. So I just browsed there and found an old station where the design was pretty close to another building I allready have built: The Swedish House

2008-05-18_0001.jpg_thumb.jpg

I will make more and better pictures of that building, but for now you will find a few more in my Brickshelf folder.

Here is the original:

original_01.jpg_thumb.jpg

And on the jernbane.net site a found a the station Ørgensvika, that is a real station along the traintrack between Oslo and Bergen.

thumb_orgenvikast.jpg

You see the same colors and design is pretty close to the "Swedish house" I've built ;)

So finaly after all this storytelling, here is my version of this station:

2009-07-17_0012a.jpg_thumb.jpg 2009-07-17_0003a.jpg_thumb.jpg 2009-07-17_0013a.jpg_thumb.jpg

Here you see the frontside, frontside with the cargotrain and the rear side of that building.

The ramp is just fixed to the building with some technic pins so it is easy to remove. My plan was to hide the NXT and the NXT IR-link inside that building. Here are a picture of the pedestrain bridge over the traintrack:

2009-07-17_0007a.jpg_thumb.jpg

You could just see one of the two light sensors hiding inside that construction. My plan was to use them to detect wich direction the train was going. But for now they are a bit too close so the NXT has a hard time reacting on them. So I will think about this a little and try to find a better way to do this.

This trainstation is one of many building I plan to put on display in a exhibition here in my home town in a few month.

I would love to get feedback both on the construction of the building, but also hints and tips on controlling the trains with the NXT (I have four NXT and two RCX complete sets and one IR-Link).

Fonix: let me first say welcome to EB and the Trains & Town forum. I can see you are still a fairly new member to EB.

In regard to this wonderful MOC, it looks fantastic! Your station captures the look and feel of Classic Trains using newer pieces, and has the charm of a European station scene.

I like as the Cargo Train Deluxe rolls into the station from the right side of your patio/porch.

Red is always a great color for a train station and with the standard (now Classic Town) white windows and black roof, it really captures the look and design of the inspiration structure. Great rendering in Lego brick, and I hope to see more of your train and train town MOCs in the future.

Added to the Train Tech Index and a BLOG on the way.

Thank you TheBrickster!

Do you or anyone else here have some tip for improvement?

I would also like to know if there is anyone else that is using those RC trains in combination with the NXT?

Seems like most people here in this forum is using the older 9V system...

That's a very nice train station, looks just like the real thing! :thumbup:

I'm not familiar with NXT, so i can't help you on that part.

I hope you plan on adding scenery around the station, maybe a big tree, some cargo lying around a parking lot with some cars or a bus stop....?

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with NXT either.

Your train station looks a bit empty. Just try to do what Captain Green Hair has suggested. I think his tips are very good.

As for your railway station, I think it looks brilliant. The choice of colours is nothing special, but it still looks amazing. I don't like building with red bricks too much because I always feel I end up with a fire station, but you did a great job. It doesn't look like a fire station at all. :wink: What I find striking is the big, black roof. You must've needed a lot of black slopes for it! Can you lift the roof so that you have access to its interior? If not, I'd be a good idea to be able to do so.

Edited by legotrainfan

Do you or anyone else here have some tip for improvement?

I'd have to agree w/ Cap'n GH. I think some landscaping like some trees would really add to the scene. Cargo, perhaps and a few more people hard at work or play. Your station looks great - maybe just some additional details with minifigs.

I also like how you made the lamp posts - nice touch.

Changed a a few bits: redesigned the lamp posts. Added a clock. Added gutter to the corners of the house....

Some cargo laying around was a good idea. I'll see what I can do. I do have the full Cargo Train Deluxe set with the truck, forklift and such. Adding them wil give a nice touch, I think.