Erdbeereis

Who's Going to Brickworld 2010?

Just registered! Can't wait. Gotta get building.

Edit: I was too happy that I was registered so I built the space themed object that will be flying over my town. I did some digging through my instruction books and found the 6544 set.

shuttle2.jpg

Edited by DHCP1121

Planeride bought & registration paid - Brickworld here I come :sweet: !

That's great to hear! :sweet:

I got my registration paid and sorted out this weekend. I will be a registered attendee, vendor and sponsor this year. Very excited! :grin:

Edited by fallentomato

Are you registering or just showing up on the public days General Armendariz? I don't want to sound mean, but there is always limited space at these for MOCs. If you are registered and paid, you have the ability to get a table to display your items. If you just plan to show up for the public days, then you might not want to bring anything to display...unless you know someone is going to be watching it during the public hours. Just a few things to think about.

Are you registering or just showing up on the public days General Armendariz? I don't want to sound mean, but there is always limited space at these for MOCs. If you are registered and paid, you have the ability to get a table to display your items. If you just plan to show up for the public days, then you might not want to bring anything to display...unless you know someone is going to be watching it during the public hours. Just a few things to think about.

I know, I am going to be a full registered participant.

I'm pretty sure that for now I'm definitely coming to brickworld, about to pay the cost of reserving a hotel! I may bring my sig fig captain as well, who knows?

I'm not sure if I can come to Brickworld due to Exam Dates, but I'll make sure to check before a final word (not that I'm really known well enough, anyway).

I'm thinking of not registering this time, but for Brickworld 2010 I will.

Will I still be able to meet people/socialize/go to the store/etc?

I'm not sure if I can come to Brickworld due to Exam Dates, but I'll make sure to check before a final word (not that I'm really known well enough, anyway).

Doesn't matter if you are well known or not. Find the table of EB peeps, just look at the map when you arrive. I'm sure we will think up a name and tell everyone here. Dates are June 17, 18, 19, & 20. 19th and 20th are the public days, so just find us and talk LEGO with us. What do you think we do at these things?

I'm thinking of not registering this time, but for Brickworld 2010 I will.

Do you mean 2011? Even if you don't register, just show up, pay the fee, and check out all the awesome displays! Not sure where you are coming from, but hours are 10-4 Saturday & 10-3 on Sunday.

Will I still be able to meet people/socialize/go to the store/etc?

Meet people, yes. Socialize, yes. Got to the stores, yes; you just don't get to take part in the special store events and things unless you are a registered participant.

Doesn't matter if you are well known or not. Find the table of EB peeps, just look at the map when you arrive. I'm sure we will think up a name and tell everyone here. Dates are June 17, 18, 19, & 20. 19th and 20th are the public days, so just find us and talk LEGO with us. What do you think we do at these things?

Do you mean 2011? Even if you don't register, just show up, pay the fee, and check out all the awesome displays! Not sure where you are coming from, but hours are 10-4 Saturday & 10-3 on Sunday.

Meet people, yes. Socialize, yes. Got to the stores, yes; you just don't get to take part in the special store events and things unless you are a registered participant.

Thanks. Is it a large store, like a LEGO brand store, or is it more of a Brickworld Store that sells specialty customs?

Thanks. Is it a large store, like a LEGO brand store, or is it more of a Brickworld Store that sells specialty customs?

They are LEGO Brand stores, one in Northbrook, Schaumburg, Orland Park, and Chicago.

I will be arriving at Wednesday the 16th in the afternoon.

It will be great meeting the people from whom I see those great MOC's online.

I will actually stay until Friday the 25th, so I have a couple of days to go sight-seeing in Chicago.

I may be going, unfortunately I don't have any mocs ready so I will be a normal attendee. :cry_sad: Do you NEED mocs to register?

Edited by daftendirekt

I may be going, unfortunately I don't have any mocs ready so I will be a normal attendee. :cry_sad: Do you NEED mocs to register?

No. Why would you? There is so much more to the event than showing off your MOCs.

There is so much more to the event than showing off your MOCs.

Definitely agreed. Displaying MOCs is a great part of the convention, the real meat of the convention is the presentations, competitions, hanging out with other LEGO fans, LEGO store sales, freebies and other activities. The public days are great for seeing stuff, but if you only come to the public days, you won't get to do any of the things listed above.

I can't believe I just read this thread for the first time. It took me almost an entire year to find it! Obviously I spend too much time in the historic themes forum! So many of the posts made me laugh. Remembering Bryan's procrastination MOC... classic.

I will be at Brickworld with bells on and I have to say I can't wait! I am looking forward to meeting new people and seeing old friends again! Please stop by my large gold and blue castle display and say hello. Also let me know who you are on Eurobricks so I can make the connection.

With only 2 weeks to go I am shaking with anticipation. However, after the debacle of my castle falling to pieces while traveling to brickworld last year, I am a bit nervous as well. I kept myself out of the fun last year staying up to all hours of the night trying to repair something that took over a year to build. :wacko: If I was smart I would have put a disaster sign on my pieces and just had fun!

It may be a little late but... one thing I would add about the discussion between complete registration vs just attending as a member of the public. The public is only allowed in the convention halls for the public hours after that you will have to leave. Even if you can only attend for one day the full registration allows you to hang for the entire day and night! This at the very least will double your time. Socializing, MOC viewing, and asking questions is much easier when the rest of the public is not around. And last... some people are unavailable to socialize during public hours because they are working, voluteering, or just too busy with their MOCs. I recommend full registration. Go to the lego store and spend some money to make it up with that 20% discount.

I was going to ask for a little advice from my fellow Eurobricks members. My layout stretches to 4 tables long now and there is absolutely no other way to trasport my MOC other than with my trailer. It is built in sections 40" x 40" and laying on 3/4" plywood. I was thinking about putting 2" of couch foam under the plywood pieces so when the MOC bounces a bit it will give and act as a shock absorber when it comes back down in the trailer. What do you guys think? Would that help? I did rebuild the entire MOC stronger and will be taking better precautions but thought the foam might help as well. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dale

Edited by DaleDVM

Couch foam sounds like it's worth a shot DaleDVM. My only concern is that it might be too rigid. Yet after typing that, I'm trying to figure out what else to use?

I'll be there!

(Norro emerges from carefully concealing his secret identity)

Look forward to seeing you all!

God Bless,

Nathan

I can't believe I just read this thread for the first time. It took me almost an entire year to find it! Obviously I spend too much time in the historic themes forum! So many of the posts made me laugh. Remembering Bryan's procrastination MOC... classic.

I was going to ask for a little advice from my fellow Eurobricks members. My layout stretches to 4 tables long now and there is absolutely no other way to trasport my MOC other than with my trailer. It is built in sections 40" x 40" and laying on 3/4" plywood. I was thinking about putting 2" of couch foam under the plywood pieces so when the MOC bounces a bit it will give and act as a shock absorber when it comes back down in the trailer. What do you guys think? Would that help? I did rebuild the entire MOC stronger and will be taking better precautions but thought the foam might help as well. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dale

Dale:

I think the couch foam could make a lot of sense here to try and soak up the bumps. The only other thing I might add is trying to find some temperature sensitive foam or one of the squishy footpads people use when they have to stand a lot at work. Then you could create a sandwich construction of various foam densities to absorb the bumps and vibrations.

Can't wait to see you again!

-Dave

There is an upholstry warehouse not far from me. I think I will go with a low density open cell foam that will squish a bit. My MOCs are very heavy but when spread out over a 40" x 40" piece of plywood I think the softer stuff will work pretty well. If there is another catastrophe I will just have to hang out with you guys by your train layouts! Thanks Dave and Adam for your input it makes me fell better.

Dale:

I think the couch foam could make a lot of sense here to try and soak up the bumps. The only other thing I might add is trying to find some temperature sensitive foam or one of the squishy footpads people use when they have to stand a lot at work. Then you could create a sandwich construction of various foam densities to absorb the bumps and vibrations.

Can't wait to see you again!

-Dave

What, you don't think cramming in plastic bags in a wide open cardboard box is a good idea? Oh right, someone tried that already didn't they...

(not Dave everyone, but someone we know who shipped a moc to him. FUNNY STUFF!)

~Chris.

Moving on to a different subject, We're planning a LegoLand trip again this year! Last year, we only had about 15 or so people but MAN it was a blast! We're planning on going on Friday, sometime around 11 or noon. There's no concrete plans in place yet, but it shouldn't be hard to find us. Maybe I'll get a sign that says "Legoland tour group" or something to help people find the group.

If you're interested, we'd love to have you! We have a few cars available now, but more may be needed. I'm sure we'll be able to accomodate a good number of people with what we have now, but more is always better.

Hope to see you all there! Can't wait to meet new friends and get together again with those who I consider family.

TWO WEEKS PEOPLE! WAHOOOO!

~Chris.

What, you don't think cramming in plastic bags in a wide open cardboard box is a good idea? Oh right, someone tried that already didn't they...

(not Dave everyone, but someone we know who shipped a moc to him. FUNNY STUFF!)

~Chris.

In Heather's defense...when I shipped it back and packed it to my standards...it still arrived in pieces. :tongue: UPS is not kind to LEGO MOC's. Plus, her creation had a lot of large, unsupported walls that were just waiting to buckle from a good jolt. Since that whole episode, I think I've learned a few things about building for transport...and packing/shipping. :tongue:

-Davey

I could see Jim Carrey "Ace Ventura" kicking a MOC in a box down the sidewalk. UPS coming through! Got a package people!

I spent about 12 hours so far today building and rebuilding. I completely forgot to eat and it is after 7pm local time. I am so psyched about this year! Only 11 days to go... but I may starve to death before the convention! I better order a pizza so I don't have to stop MOCing.

Do you guys forget to eat when you are really in the groove?

Edited by DaleDVM

I could see Jim Carrey "Ace Ventura" kicking my MOC in a box down the sidewalk. UPS coming through! Got a package people!

I spent about 12 hours so far today building and rebuilding. I completely forgot to eat and it is after 7pm local time. I am so psyched about this year! Only 11 days to go... but I may starve to death before the convention! I better order a pizza so I don't have to stop MOCing.

Do you guys forget to eat when you are really in the groove?

Ahh, a south sider. I'm north suburbs myself. About 15 minutes from the Westin actually. Get yourself some Lou's and you'll be fine! Looking forward to meeting everyone this year. Be sure to drop by the MOCpages area and say hi.