Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOC: DB Red Shunter

traintech1.jpg

I've been really admiring some of the classic 12V train sets and locomotives recently, especially this all-time favorite among Lego train fans, the Blue Diesel Shunter 7760:

7760x640.jpg

How can anyone NOT love this all-time classic train loco? :wub:

So, (TheBrickster begins thinking...). I'd like to build a 9V version of this outstanding little classic. I broke out some parts, but had a rough time with the blue (no train doors or shutter bricks in blue - shucks :sad: ).

But how about red from the good old Crocodile Hobby Train (plus lots of black plates from bulk sets :classic: ). The result is what I call a "Red DB Shunter", another classic train set with some modification.

The little shunter that could:

s1.jpg

Front angle view:

s2.jpg

Pulling a custom blue boxcar:

s3.jpg

And a top view:

s7.jpg

This little engine took me about 2.5 hours to build, pulling the right pieces, replacing pieces I didn't have, while using instructions from Peeron (Set 7760).

And it flies around the track and also does a pretty good job pulling heavy cargo (including the Emerald Express with broken Johnson Rod). :laugh:

Comments welcome.

Wow! That's great Brickster! Your train layout gets more and more impressive with every MOC you add!

It call pull a emerald Express? Wow, sure is strong for a small engine!

I noticed some variation, like the door opens to the wrong side, these are intentional?

Stuader.

Thanks Stauder.

I tried to keep most of the original design intact. Take a look at this instruction page. Strangely, the doors are set the other direction.

I did add a few small doors to the rear for added detail:

s0.jpg

In regard to pulling the Emerald - it won't pull it with the gears intact - just the weight of an Emerald. :grin:

Or a green one :tongue:

c_-_green_7760_on_9v_-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

c_-_green_7760_on_9v_-2.jpg_thumb.jpg

Though a red one is easier to make, cause you have those red windows. Your moc looks good.

Well, I can't let this topic about my favorite LEGO train go without adding something, can I?

There have been quite a few red 7760s around. Some 12V, some 9V. I'm not really fond of the 9V versions because I think the rod of the 12V motor makes it the charming little loco it is. But yours somehow manages to look good. Good MOC.

I built a gray-green one once from parts of 4512. That was before I got my 7760. I wasn't quite satisfied with it. It was OK but it wasn't really a substitute for the real thing:

bapar1xhhc8q3tjp1.jpg

The "backward" doors, I think, were supposed to hide the 1 stud from the weight brick that extends into the cabin in the original 12V version (I mentioned it in my review a while back).

Again, good MOC :thumbup:

This must be telepathy! :cry_happy:

Imagine what I did three days ago?

I made the same MOC: A red shunter! :laugh:

I was just too lazy to take pictures of it, but here you are:

7760x640.jpg

the original

shunter_original.jpg

the copy

shunter_1.jpg

me and my train

and the complete folder (with a RC 9V swiss "Krokodil" I made in the same session)

I like yours, but I have to say mine is closer to the original (except for the roof, but I liked it better this way). :wink:

Thanks for opening this topic and reminding me not to be so lazy... :blush:

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot: Nice 4512 shunter, Hobbes! :wub:

Or a green one :tongue:

Nice! Equally impressive. I had thought about green but rulled it out because I had not thought of using the Cargo Train parts. I like the dark grey stripe and the doors as opposed to the shutters.

Strangely, take a look at the other side of the front side:

sa.jpg

I only had two red shutter part sets from Gold City Junction so did the same thing as you.

Again, good MOC :thumbup:

You too Hobbes! It's nice to see post in Trains & Town. It reminds me of the good old days. What a great Ebay find. May I ask what your winning price was?

This must be telepathy! :cry_happy:

Now isn't that just weird? I really like the use of the front end tiles. Great idea that I had not thought of. I was planning on printing some custom stickers. I lile your idea much better.

I like yours, but I have to say mine is closer to the original (except for the roof, but I liked it better this way). :wink:

Yes, yours is closer to the original with the classic town windows. I actually have these classic windows as well (and the 2x3 windows in the front are pretty rare). I believe I have them from my old Brick Yard set. I also did not use a standard light grey ladder along the front end. The reason is that I wanted to nly use my newer (cleaner parts) for the MOC.

Strangely, we both changed the back end side (I used a small car door, you the 1x2 grill brick).

Great train minds must think alike!

I apologize for the double-post, but Holodoc inspired me with this comment regarding his red shunter being closer to the original:

I broke out the "old parts box" from the garage and got busy. Washing each of the pieces carefully (like the 2x3 windows and the grey sloped roof pieces, the result is a creation much closer to the original. I left the small 1x3 door and added a grey 1x4 plate near the motor for a personal touch:

sc.jpg

Night photography is a bit tricky - let's try this one:

sb.jpg

I must say that I'm truly enjoying building these classic 12V sets. What a great era for Lego trains. The designers of these classics deserve a lot of credit. I think sets like this are just fantastic and will live on forever in the history of Lego trains.

shunterout.jpg

And adding a few custom decals:

sd.jpg

You too Hobbes! It's nice to see post in Trains & Town. It reminds me of the good old days. What a great Ebay find. May I ask what your winning price was?

178 Euro including shipping. Seems a lot, and probably is. But back then it seemed right and was worth it to me. I bought a second one a few weeks later, without box or instructions. Not in as pristine a condition as the first one but still pretty good. Spent 89+shipping. I use that one mainly on my layout and have the other one on the shelf to show off.