Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

The Mission at San Lucia

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 84b

Encouraged by people happy with my cannon caisson, I decided to build something else in the Pirates category.

This is my latest MOC. It consists of a Jesuit Mission and a dusty road for the setting, and figure wise, a Jesuit missionary, a young friend of his, a patrol of redcoats, and a horde of pirates all clashing at once.

Because of the many pictures I took of this MOC, I'll direct you to the Gallery, and present you here with several generic shots of the scene. I've made two sets on Flickr, one of the storyline in order of occurance, and one of the review of the mission chapel itself.

So enjoy these pics and by all means check out the Gallery.

3720502760_1f769de2a1.jpg

(all 20 figures, both cannons, the dusty road, and the mission together)

3720502010_d755cd4373.jpg

(I made him using a batman cape on the back, a regular black cape on the front with the sides tucked in for the cassock, the Shanghai black fedora, and the head of the conquistador who came with silver armor[red torso])

3719685915_36a3683ef1.jpg

(don't play with dynamite)

3719657635_39e1744466.jpg

(another general shot with the entire redcoat patrol)

Both sets are now viewable on my photostream.

Thanks for reading. :pir-sweet:

postscript: one small thing: I'm adding descriptions to the pictures in the review on Flickr right now, and will later fill in the storyline's quotes so the jumbled pics make sense.

post postscript: anothing thing: the storyline pictures are only in order in the set titled The Mission at San Lucia. the other set titled Review of the Mission(etc.) is where I go into detail about the Mission church. So I'd direct you to the sets if you want to see the pics ordered: the gallery is jumbled... unfortunately the FlickrUploadr can do no better, but that's what sets are for right?

This looks great! It really looks like something that you would see on a dusty road in the american southwest. Your techniques are great, and I really like your missionary figure. The dusty road looks good, too, but you could add in a cactus or cattle skull to mix things up.

Thanks: I agree about mixing it up around the road. I have to say I wasn't entirely pleased with the way the road turned out since it left so much of the bley baseplate exposed.

I would suggest adding larger pictures of the overall battle on your post instead of the close-up pics.

The thing is, I copied the bulk of this post from another forum where I posted it, and I only posted three pictures there. Though there are several pictures from the battle in the photostream. Then again Flickr takes forever to load... :pir-tongue: So I'll get some more deeplinks for ya as soon as I can: right now I'm busied by another busiment(is that a word?).

It looks a little like an igloo. Is it supposed to?

It does look like a little igloo! :pir_laugh2: Great MOC. The little 'igloo' is the only thing needing a little tweaking. :pir-blush: ~LW 8~

This is my latest MOC. It consists of a Jesuit Mission and a dusty road for the setting, and figure wise, a Jesuit missionary, a young friend of his, a patrol of redcoats, and a horde of pirates all clashing at once.

Finally the Jesuits are being acknowledge in MOC form!

San Lucia is a very Hispanic type of name, so wouldn't the Imperial Armada be patrolling this missionary - or did the red coats cease it from them?

San Lucia is a very Hispanic type of name, so wouldn't the Imperial Armada be patrolling this missionary - or did the red coats cease it from them?

It would probably be located in the Southwest US/Mexico, and, while the redcoats conquered much of the world, they didn't conquer this area. Spain lost it's colonies in the Western US in the early 1800's, and Mexico rebelled from Spain. Since american soldiers wore blue uniforms, those soldiers very well could be the mexican army (if you add a few tassels :pir-wink: ).

Edited by Admiral M

Nice mission! :pir-wink: Looks very useful for WW MOCs too :pir-wink:

By the way, "Lucía" (Lucy in english) is an spanish feminine name so the adjective "san" (saint) must go in feminine too (don't forget in most romanic tongues, the adjectives concord with the names they go with in gender and number). So the correct ortography for your mission's name would be Santa Lucía

Sorry for the little lesson, but a linguist must defend the correct use of languages! :pir-tongue:

The mafia linguist, now I've heard it all :pir_laugh2:

But you're right, it is Santa Lucia. Now i've got to find out what "santa fe" means, and what the feminine name "fe" is in english :pir-tongue:

Edited by Admiral M

The mafia linguist, now I've heard it all :pir_laugh2:

But you're right, it is Santa Lucia. Now i've got to find out what "santa fe" means, and what the feminine name "fe" is in english :pir-tongue:

To be a gangster does not means that you cannot be a linguist! :pir-laugh:

And if I can be an ortography freak a little more I would specially signalize the final accent (please, correct me if it's not the word) in the "i". Remember it's luc

Edited by BlueBard