Burf2000

How do you Manage Your LEGO Addiction?

My interest in Lego, particularly Technic, is big, but it's not an addiction yet. It's a hobby I often do, but don't need to do.

How do you manage any addiction? You try to be a functioning addict, or you quit. :wink:

I've been an AFOL for two years now and LEGO has taken over half of my dining room (much to my wife's chagrin). I have a small house so am restricted by space first, and money second. My willingness to part out sets for new builds makes both the space and money go MUCH farther. It's just so tough to sacrifice something you've spent days or weeks building. That's the balance I'm struggling to find... because once displayed, you have to buy more parts. It's the building that's really the addictive part. And so far I have enough other interests that my wife hasn't divorced me :laugh:

ehh well i am building a lego museum with a gallery what you say ? manage ? huh is that realy nessary ? whaooo i dont lol

My new plan, which seems to be working so far... The new modular (2 copies) the new Winter Village set and maybe one or two others. I just don't need that many sets. I have parts galore, I want to start building some of the MOCs I have in my head, so maybe I will just need a few specialized parts from BL.

In short, contain my hobby and not let it be an addiction.

Andy D

Lack of funds manages my addiction.

I'd love to have the SPACESHIP and the CUUSOO BttF set, but no dice !

I finally decided on a MOC that I designed in LDD, and have been trying to track down the parts...not as easy as I thought..! BrickLink is great, but no one seems to have enough of each part I need! I am going to have to start a column or two on the BOM generated in LDD to find what I need and keep track of it...it gets complicated rather quickly!

Lack of money really helps manage the addiction. Plus the Pick A Brick wall is an hour drive away. :laugh:

Lack of money really helps manage the addiction. Plus the Pick A Brick wall is an hour drive away. :laugh:

If I had a Pick a Brick wall close to me I wouldn't have any money lol. I've been trying to keep pace with collecting but it's difficult without more income. The sets I currently want I'd be spending at least about $2-3,000 per year.

Here's a great tip to how you stop yourself from over spending money: Keep track of much you've spent. That way your guilty conscience will tell you when it's too much. At least it works for me.

If new moc needs new parts, and if I have money for that, I will buy it via BL. Parts are generally cheaper than whole sets. That is the only control I have. But since I don't have kids yet, or wife yet, I can afford it for a year or two. Later, they will be priority.

Yes, I totally agree.....poor cash flow controls any addiction especially Lego ! :laugh:

If I can't build......I get the shakes ! :laugh:

I've found that if I buy a bunch of large sets at a time that tends to slow down my need for more since a) I have no more room to store more boxed sets, and b) it makes it harder to choose what to build next and slows me down tearing thru builds.

I control my hobby/addiction very simply. I spend NO money from our family bank account. My wife, kids, house, etc. do not suffer because of my LEGO purchases.

If I want to buy new LEGO, I sell old LEGO. Simple as that.

I manage my "addiction" (I'd call it more of a want since I am not physically addicted to LEGO) because of money. I use what I have until an opportunity comes up for me to purchase some more LEGO. I sometimes get LEGO as a gift on special occasions.

Those who know me would say my Lego addiction manages me!

Edited by grum64

My interest in Lego, particularly Technic, is big, but it's not an addiction yet. It's a hobby I often do, but don't need to do.

This is what I "used" to say :(

This is what I "used" to say :(

Ditto!

Edited by grum64

My lego obsession, is plain and simply kept in check by the amount of space I have to display them, oh, if only I had a room full of shelves.

On 7/14/2009 at 5:16 PM, Davey said:

A college degree, a good job, a loving wife, and no kids. :tongue:

There's only one thing better than playing Lego.

and that is playing Lego with your kids :D

On the topic, I only buy what I need to, not more. :P

Edited by hsousa

Poorly. :tongue: Fortunately the occasional odd job of watching friend’s dogs/house has coincided pretty well with releases, so I don’t normally miss out on much that I really want. Just got done with one recently where the Rexcelsior was released two days after I started(and they pay in advance) & have a fair amount left that I’m hoarding away for HP. 

I should, but don’t, let space determine my spending...but I just buy & stack more plastic containers. 

I just moved to a much smaller appartment. So the lack of space is in control of my LEGO greed