Sign in to follow this  
Captain Zuloo

MOC: Blocksford Signal Box

traintech1.jpg

I have half the tables built for my LEGO train layout 'Blocksford' and I have my straight track laid out on them. There is space for two more straights which I don't have (yet) so I wanted to build something to fill in the space. So I came up with the idea of a signal box. I wanted to make it with a colour that I have lots of (to avoid ordering parts) but not a primary LEGO colour like red or blue that would just look stupid. So I ended up going with white. I wanted it to look as though it was made from painted brick, and I figured the best way to build a brick wall is with bricks right? So it's built in a way that it resembles how bricks are laid. I spoke to CGH and he said it needed something more to spice it up a little - maybe some railing for the stairs so you wouldn't be in danger when coming home when drunk. :laugh: So that's where the railing on the stairs and the lamp came in. I think it looks a heap better with them.

So I present to you, my Blocksford Classic Town style signal box! :pir-classic:

3715764400_268ae1a823.jpg

A nice angle shot showing all of the signal box

3714956135_ee8887be94.jpg

Much the same but from a different angle and the operator coming outside

3714954279_4b30c3775c.jpg

Again another shot from an angle

3715764930_ddec36b61b.jpg

Marvel at the complexity of the back. :laugh: You can see the brick pattern fairly well just below the roof here

3714955797_762170c45d.jpg

And a final shot of a minifig walking up the steps.

I hope you guys like it, CC welcome.

Cheers,

Zuloo :pir-wink:

It looks awesome, the only thing that dosn't seem right to me is the strainght up bricks on brick. It might make it stronger, and possibly look better from the eye. Anyway it dosn't really matter all in all its a great MOC.

that's very nice! I took the train yesterday and saw something identical along the tracks, that's quite funny how it looks the same , nice job!

Very nice. A simple structure that looks just as it should. This is the kind of little thing that adds realism to a layout.

Nice job Cap'n Z. Simple design, yet very effective (like Classic Town). The colors work well and I like the use of numerous train windows on the sides of the building. The stair design works very well (like the use of the different color tile steps), and the lantern is a pleasant detailed touch. I esp. like the use of the black lance for the hand rail. What exactly is holding it up?

Great job on this signal building - a great addition for any classic train layout. Are there any clues or additional details within the interior?

It looks awesome, the only thing that dosn't seem right to me is the strainght up bricks on brick. It might make it stronger, and possibly look better from the eye. Anyway it dosn't really matter all in all its a great MOC.

Thanks for the compliment keetong. The straight up is supposed to be white painted wood and the top section is meant to be painted brick. I did the straight up intentionally, but thanks for the comment. I might end up changing it. We'll see.

that's very nice! I took the train yesterday and saw something identical along the tracks, that's quite funny how it looks the same , nice job!

Well you tell the railway company not to pinch my design! :tongue:

Very nice. A simple structure that looks just as it should. This is the kind of little thing that adds realism to a layout.

Thanks Eilif, I was actually really hoping you'd like this. Yours is one of my favourite layouts on the net. Sadly though, Blocksofrd won't start looking too realistic until I can get enough money to buy parts to balast the whole thing. Then I'll screw the realism up completely with random Pirates/spacemen/divers/jedi etc. all through the layout. But hey, that's what separates LEGO layouts to scale ones. You can do that, and that's the type of thing that I love about LEGO trains. They can be whatever you imagine. :thumbup:

This makes a great little building on any layout.

I really like the railing and lamp, well done! :thumbup:

Well they were your ideas after all. Thanks mate. :classic:

Nice job Cap'n Z. Simple design, yet very effective (like Classic Town). The colors work well and I like the use of numerous train windows on the sides of the building. The stair design works very well (like the use of the different color tile steps), and the lantern is a pleasant detailed touch. I esp. like the use of the black lance for the hand rail. What exactly is holding it up?

Great job on this signal building - a great addition for any classic train layout. Are there any clues or additional details within the interior?

The interior is empty, but I'll probably make one. It's those types of details that I've noticed that others notice at train shows. Peple are always looking insode your buildings. To hold the lance up I just used two parts, although they took me ages to think of as I wanted to maintain the 4-wide stairs as much as possible. I think I achieved it well. The below picture should illustrate the stair design fairly well:

signal-box6.jpg

Thanks for the kind words TheBrickster. :classic:

I just adore smaller Mocs like this, but with so much creativity and liveness in it! Very detailed and eye catching!