Year: 2004

Pieces: 302

Minifigures: 2

Recommended Age: 7 - 12

Price: GBP 19.99 US$30 AU$59.99

Resources: Brickset Peeron Photobucket

Introduction:

Hagrid's Hut

With the Help of Humongous Hairy Hagrid, Handsome Harry and Hardworking Hermione Helped the Hirsute Hippogriff Hide, so a Horrid Hag would not Hurt Him.

However, this set does not Have Handsome Harry or a Hirsute Hippogriff, so Hardworking Hermione and Hairy Hagrid will Have to do.

The Box:

1bee820c.jpg

The cover art of the box shows off some of the features (fireplace) and accessories (tools) in the set.

6ea70ed8.jpg

The back of the box shows the usual things for a Harry Potter set; how it fits in with other sets from the HP Theme, detailed pictures of moving parts and an alternative build.

Alternative Build:

2245ada3.jpg

I've included a close-up shot of TLG's alternate build from in the back of the instruction booklet, it is also shown on the back of the box. There is only one as this is a larger set, where as most of the smaller HP sets have two alternative builds.

The Instruction Booklet:

51972fb9.jpg

I have included a few extra pages of the instructions as there are three different stages of the build. Firstly we have the cover of the booklet, which as usual is the same as the box cover.

505c06b7.jpg

Page 22 shows the instructions for the cupboard, a spider swings out when opened. It uses 25 pieces (including the spider, axe and crossbow) and is made in 9 steps.

5d336152.jpg

This picture is of the instructions for the four roof sections, using wings that are most commonly used on space crafts.

d64bebae.jpg

The last part of the build starts on page 37, when we build the back of the fireplace and chimney, it is made up of 32 pieces and 11 steps.

2a3f6cc9.jpg

This next picture is from the first page of the booklet, showing us what the minifigs are meant to look like, notice how Hagrid's hands are brown like in the '01 and '02 sets . A small error missed in the editing stage I gather. :look:

The Parts:

c439f6ad.jpg

All 302 pieces together, a nice mix of colours and styles for making MOCs.

Pieces of Interest:

d42715b3.jpg9b05d7d0.jpg

There are quite a few pieces I find especially interesting in this set, I will show you only a few of the better ones. Firstly, we have my favourite; the Fabuland Cauldron. I can just see Ron puking some slimy slugs into this with a slightly green tinge about his face.

10f2ad28.jpg1d06742d.jpg238a2e16.jpg

There is a Chrome-Brass key, then we have an exclusive MdStone coloured 'stone patterned' corner wall piece, and a brown book.

This set is overflowing with great accessories, other pieces of interest include a the sand-green slopes, a yellow dinner plate and yellow ladle, a rat, a bat, a spider, a goblet, a couple of mugs, a shovel, a pick, a crossbow, an axe, two pumpkins, etc etc etc, far too many to mention in detail.

The Minifigures:

9ac615f8.jpg30fe1de0.jpg

This minifigure of Hagrid is slightly larger than a regular minifig - his legs, hands and torso are unmovable, and his arms are slightly longer. He also has a rather large hair piece that nearly covers his entire face.

92f0f734.jpg8a5a089e.jpg

The fleshy Hermione minifigure has the usual Grey Gryffindor uniform, but on this occasion she is wearing the Time-Turner, this torso was also used in the 2004 version of Hogwarts Castle. She has a very pretty face and her hair is great to use for any small girl.

d22d1b85.jpg

Here are the minifigures with all accessories (cape, wand and key) included.

I_intprod1-8000base_168139a.jpgdbb2ad6d-1.jpg

Here is a picture of Hagrid from the movies, and the minifigure for comparison. The massive expanse of hair Hagrid has been captured spectacularly with the massive hair piece and the clothes are almost identical. I think it is a job well done.

0fb30f1c.jpg30c3cfbc.jpg

Here is a comparison shot of Hermione, the hair is perfect and I think TLG have done a nice job capturing her face in the simple Lego way.

The Build:

76778456.jpg

This first picture of the build, we have all of the base is in place, it looks a little messy but it will get there. Notice the 1x2 yellow piece, I'm not too sure why they needed to add another colour here, it is eventually hidden anyway.

a45384ce.jpg

The walls are starting to go up, in other sets this amount of colours can be pretty un-aesthetically pleasing but being Hagrid's hut, I think it suits perfectly.

408632bd.jpg

All the walls are up by this stage we have filled the hut with all the wonderful accessories you get in this set.

a2d87c51.jpg

The roof starting to go on, which will be followed by the Sand-green slopes.

09ad2608.jpg

There are 11 steps to build the fireplace, then you click it onto the side of the hut using the hinge pieces, they are extremely tough to click together and I actually put my fingers through the roof once or twice whilst trying to attach it. :sceptic:

Special Features:

a057838b.jpg

Hagrid will show you the special moving part features of this set, here he is showing you how there is a secret compartment in the back of the fireplace, for those long cold nights when all you want to do is read an nice warm book?!? :look:

48f2b915.jpg

Now he is showing you the cupboard, just don't let Ron open this one. He might not like what is waiting to swing out.

The Finished Product:

9060cdc9.jpg

The set is complete! The front view is quite pleasing, with a mix of colours, bricks, stone and the (rather small) pumpkin patch. I can't see how a Hippogriff could fit in that pumpkin patch, but I realise that if the base plates were sticking out any further than they already are it might look silly.

58f0351c.jpg

The back view shows the sets other door, I am so glad TLG included another door as there was one in the movie and the books.

77ff9dfa.jpg

The left side gives you a better view of the pumpkin patch and the brown lattice window. I love the look of this hut from every angle. There is a great space under this window for you to extend the pumpkin patch if you so desire.

16d6fe30.jpg

On the right side of the hut you have the fireplace and chimney. I would have loved to have another 'stone printed' corner to make this angle look symmetrical, but then I would want another and another. I can only guess at what the designers of this set were thinking, but I'm sure they tried every possible combination and settled on the best one for all of us.

18f23a7c.jpg

The last shot is of the completed set from the top. The roof does not close 100%, so there are a few small gaps.

3c9d7761.jpg

This is the complete set from the front when fully opened out. I love how when shown from this angle, the roof lines up and makes it look as though there are two huts next to each other. I think if you added a lovely rose garden this set could be transformed into a cute little English cottage.

a866d1d4.jpg

The set from the back when opened out, this shot shows you how the patchwork feel of this hut, it looks as though Hagrid knocked it together himself.

The Complete Set including Minifigures:

b9926079.jpg

The Final Verdict:

Design: 9/10 The patchwork of colours and mediums make this hut so perfect for Hagrid, the opening features and slanted roof are brilliant pieces of design.

Build: 9/10 With 302 pieces, and several sections to the instructions this set is quite good to build, not too simple (like some of the earlier HP sets), but definitely not hard.

Playability: 9/10 The hut opens out like a dollhouse and has plenty of accessories, making it such an easy and fun set to pay with.

Minifigures: 9/10 I think that TLG have done a brilliant job with Hagrid, as shown in the comparison shots earlier he is just like the movie Hagrid, he looks big and fat and bushy. I love the Hermione minifigure, her pretty face her thick hair and the time-turner is brilliant.

Price: 7/10 With so many great pieces and some rare ones too, the price of this set is rather on the high side. But it is such a great little set and a definite must for all Harry Potter Lego fans. I am only sad I didn't get my hands on one earlier.

Overall: 9/10 With some great-castle type pieces, and many little accessories this set should please anyone, its overall design is great for displaying or you could use any of the 302 pieces for MOCs. I am happy that TLG decide to release a second edition of Hagrid's Hut, it has become a firm favourite of all the sets I own. I am very happy with this set but if I have to make one serious complaint, it would be that Hagrid the lover of all creatures would have his hut filled with animals of all kinds, although there is a rat, bat and spider, where is Fang? (Hagrid's trusty and somewhat massive dog) I think that this would do nicely for Fang, TLG always cross over things from Belville and Fabuland, so why not this time?

c68f4710.jpg

Edited by Cutlass_Iz

Hi

Nice review and excellent detail

Looks like a great set with nice minifigures :tongue:

Thanks

Excellent review of a great set! Everything is described, and the photos are good. Thanks! :thumbup: This is actually one of the Harry Potter sets I don't own, but I really, really want to get my hands on. It's definitely one of the best LEGO Harry Potter sets, it doesn't look like it needs any modifications to put in your own Hogwarts.

Great job on the review! I think LEGO did really well designing all of the HP3 sets, so it's a shame they decided to stop making a lot of HP sets. Maybe they got tired of making most of the minifigures in the same bland robes!

Cutlass, why did you not add a poll? Now we can't all rate the set.

Nice review of one of my favorite HP sets! I remember going to the store to get this set, and finding it on clearance anyway! I just love all of the pieces and accesories that give this set character, I only wish that they included more figures, or Buckbeak and Fang, and made the pumpkin patch a bit bigger...

I can't wait for the new movie to come out this week! I just really, really wish they made more sets for these last movies. :cry_sad: There are such great opportunities for scenes and figures that have yet to be made, and with the recent quality in figures and sets overall, I'm sure we wouldn'tve been disappointed...

Interesting use of alliteration in your intro there. :tongue: I "missed" this set when it was released (read: not a Harry Potter fan), but there are some decent castle parts in there as you said along with a nice little hut that could potentially be used in a castle set up.

Wish I wouldn't have ignored the whole HP line now that I look back, there were some really cool sets I could have picked up. :sad:

I saw this review in the academy, nicely done review, Cutlass_Iz! :classic:

I actually have this set, although partially incomplete, it's an awesome set! :sweet:

Edited by Striker™

Fine review and excellent photography, thank you!

9ac615f8.jpg

I haven't realised before, but - doesn't he look extremely Playmobilish?

Fine review and excellent photography, thank you!

9ac615f8.jpg

I haven't realised before, but - doesn't he look extremely Playmobilish?

I To argee that Hagrid does look playmobilish

G A

Great review. Hagrid looks like a cross between playmobile and Fabuland. Is there a way to remove his hands?

I truly love this set - it is one of two Harry Potter sets that I have not modified.

That said, I never noticed the Fabuland cauldron, so checked all of the cauldrons in our collection and noticed that all but one had the Fabuland stamp...curious....they scratched off Fabuland and put in LEGO....

3724558313_364232b79e_o.jpg

After doing a little digging, I see that the change to the LEGO cauldrons came with the 2008 Castle Advent Calendar (set 7979). So, there's a little nugget of useless information that you can amuse your HP/Castle friends with.

Thanks for the review!

~Stacy

Gave this an above average vote,it looks very, very nice;- but I must be in a tiny, tiny minority ,in that I can`t stand the Potter Franchise ,even sets as good as this one, which from a pure Lego design stand-point are very clever and brilliantly-executed........sorry.

Edited by r5-j2

I truly love this set - it is one of two Harry Potter sets that I have not modified.

That said, I never noticed the Fabuland cauldron, so checked all of the cauldrons in our collection and noticed that all but one had the Fabuland stamp...curious....they scratched off Fabuland and put in LEGO....

3724558313_364232b79e_o.jpg

After doing a little digging, I see that the change to the LEGO cauldrons came with the 2008 Castle Advent Calendar (set 7979). So, there's a little nugget of useless information that you can amuse your HP/Castle friends with.

Thanks for the review!

~Stacy

I've just noticed the same on that cauldron piece, which I was so hoping to use as a spaceship thruster. *Sadly*, it has absolutely zero inner clutch power, meaning that you can't clip it to anything that's not at least 2x4. Too bad Lego didn't fix this.

I'm not a mod, but do remember we're not supposed to bump old threads up. Licensed is already pretty clogged up with threads. Just a friendly reminder. :blush:

I'm not a mod, but do remember we're not supposed to bump old threads up. Licensed is already pretty clogged up with threads. Just a friendly reminder. :blush:

The review was already bumped and set review topics don't date. We just ask for the original topic bumper to ensure their comment provides something substantial to the conversation. See below from Revisiting old topics (Bumping).

3. LEGO reviews don't date. Thus if you have something relevant to say then feel free to post in a topic, but if it's more than a few months old please make sure it's good.... and if it's been a few years it better be really good! For example, if you liked the review or set and want to say so you probably shouldn't. If you've got an answer to a question (such as "Does anyone have pictures of the alternate model?) then by all means post! What you shouldn't do is ask questions to the original poster; he/she may not even visit EB any more.