Davey

Bluebrick Layout Software

Hi Stefan, I am glad that worked! It is always handy to have the creator of the software involved in the thread. :classic:

Even though it might no longer be required, I have added your idea to the others in a "features and add-ons" list at the bottom of the BlueBrick Index.

I will update the status on a regular basis and I will do a bit more work on it this weekend.

Happy building!

Hi,

I will probably not implement the button Stefan requested, since I already have this kind of feature but in a different way, as I explained and Stefan already experienced. However, I will

- Fix the bug of the orientation

- Improve the feedback such as the user can discover the feature by himself without needing to read the doc or read this forum. :classic: To improve the feedback, I plan to display some red dots around the free connections point of the part that is connectable. The connectable part will be the closest part from the mouse grab, that have free connection points. That way the user will discover that by grabing in different place the connectable part changes, and finally he will click directly on the part he wants to connect.

So, thanks again for your Feedback Stefan, this will improve dramatically this very handy and important feature.

Bye.

Even though it might no longer be required, I have added your idea to the others in a "features and add-ons" list at the bottom of the BlueBrick Index.

I miss the idea of snapping through layers. :shark:

For example: I am working on a layer and laying track.

Then I add a new layer. On that new layer the last connection

point of the previous layer is availible so i can continue.

:cannon:

Edited by FreeBee

improve dramatically this very handy and important feature.

Bye.

cool :)

I'll wait for the next BlueBrick-Releases and i'm happy to try the enhancement.

Stefan

Edited by Leergut

I miss the idea of snapping through layers. :shark:

For example: I am working on a layer and laying track.

Then I add a new layer. On that new layer the last connection

point of the previous layer is availible so i can continue.

:cannon:

Hi,

Yes that could be a convenient feature.

Bye.

Good Morning everyone.

After copying BB 1.5, I tried turning layouts again. The result was exactly the same as in BB 1.4:

I designed a layout and saved it.

I opened it, turned the complete layout (20°) and saved it.

Now I open it again and yellow dots appear at the end of every curve.

What can we do with this Result? How disappear the yellow dots?

Stefan

Good news Stefan, the bug is fixed. I will send you in private a version for test, then you can expect to see the version 1.5.1 be released in few hours (at least before the end of this weekend). After that I will start to work on the other important features for the 1.6 version. :classic:

Bye.

Hi,

Yes that could be a convenient feature.

Bye.

Sorry, I made the list in a bit of a hurry. It is a good idea! I have added it to the list. :thumbup:

My contribution for this week is what was a very important part of my old layout. Besides the track, I would say this was actually the focal point. I have not completed the XMLs yet, but for several of the sets you don't really need them. The playing field GIF consists of baseplates 4186p01, which were bought separately, as well as sets 3303, several 3304 and 3305, set 3306 and some of the minifigs from set 3314. I have just called the GIF "Playing_Field" for now as it consists of many sets. Other than that, sets 3308-3314 make up the rest of this multi-part set. You can see it in the original layout on my Brickshelf account.

As you can see I managed to include the original stickers in sets 3308,3309, 3310 and 3312 thanks to Photoshop and the Brick Factory.

playingfield.gif

GIF XML Playing Field

3308.set.gif

GIF XML : 3308 Tribune

3309.set.gif

GIF XML : 3309 Head Tribune

3310.set.gif

GIF XML : 3310 Commentator and Press Box

3311.set.gif

GIF XML : 3311 Camera Tower

3312.set.gif

GIF XML : 3312 Medic's Station

3313.set.gif

GIF XML : 3313 Light Poles

3314.set.gif

GIF XML : 3314 Stadium Security

You can see what it looks like in my original and BlueBrick layouts here.

Edited by missouri_bb63

I'll wait for the next BlueBrick-Releases and i'm happy to try the enhancement.

Stefan

Hi,

Finally, I highlighted even more the grabbed part. Also I just remember that this is the part that is used for the snapping on the grid or with free connection point. So for example if you grab a portion of track by a straight rail in the middle of the portion, then this is this rail that will be aligned on the grid. The double highlight of the grabbed part would normally make better understand that this is actually the part that is snapped to the grib or connected to the other parts.

Bye.

PS: I also improved the highlight (I finally found how to do the way I always wanted to do)

Good news Stefan, the bug is fixed. I will send you in private a version for test, then you can expect to see the version 1.5.1 be released in few hours (at least before the end of this weekend). After that I will start to work on the other important features for the 1.6 version. :classic:

Hi,

The version 1.5.1 is online and does nothing more than fixing the rotation bug.

Bye.

It has been a busy week so unfortunately my contributions have been a little sparse. As I have some time off work over the next two weeks so that will hopefully change.

Here is my contribution for this week. A set which I had in my real life layout.

6397.set.gif

GIF XML : 6397 Gas and Wash Express

In addition I also corrected the GIF sizes for the Football Stadium sets 3308 and 3309 so please download these again if necessary (they were actually off by quite a bit), and I have also completed the XMLs for all of the football sets. You can find them in the BlueBrick Index.

We are also aiming to release version 1.6 mid November (in 2-3 weeks), so let me know if you would like to contribute any GIFs etc... Please don't forget to adjust the coloring so that they match excisting baseplates as closely as possible. If we still have problems getting the sets to look uniform for the 1.6 release we might organize one person to do the GIF editing for all the sets. In the mean time I have adjusted the sets from the last version where necessary and they will be available in 1.6.

As the diversity of the sets increases we are also looking for ways to introduce new categories for the BlueBrick parts tabs to help keep things organized. I was thinking of splitting the "Set" tab into one for "Train" and one for "Town". You guys think that would be enough for now? Another, longer term option would be to introduce a set navigation similar to MLCad with visual and text listing. Let us know what you think!

During the next week I will be focusing on the TD and LDraw compatibility for the 1.6 release as well as at least 1 additional video tutorial for XML files (new 1.5 features as well as figuring out angles etc...)

Happy Building!

Edited by missouri_bb63

Wow missouri, if this is what you can produce when you are busy ...... then I am scared what you can do when you have some time off :wink:

Nicely done on those gifs :thumbup:

Mid november for a new release is pretty fast, I have to think what I can create before that :classic:

Mid november for a new release is pretty fast, I have to think what I can create before that :classic:

Hi,

Actually, for the mid november release, I hope we could be compatible with the 0.9f version of the registry extension for Track Designer (see http://www.freelug.org/article.php3?id_article=227 or http://www.novalug.ca/cgi-bin/index.cgi?ac...=tools&id=3 for reference), so if there is any part missing from this list in BlueBrick, I would be pleased if someone could produce it for the next release.

Thanks.

Bye.

Hi,

Actually, for the mid november release, I hope we could be compatible with the 0.9f version of the registry extension for Track Designer (see http://www.freelug.org/article.php3?id_article=227 or http://www.novalug.ca/cgi-bin/index.cgi?ac...=tools&id=3 for reference), so if there is any part missing from this list in BlueBrick, I would be pleased if someone could produce it for the next release.

Thanks.

Bye.

Yup, already working on that. :classic: But I will post a note here if I need an extra pair of hands...which could very well happen. :sceptic:

Edited by missouri_bb63

Hi,

the German translation contains a spelling mistake: Insert "Teilebibliothek" instead of "Teilebibleothek"

I can see no lion (leo) in BlueBrick :laugh:

Stefan

Hi,

the German translation contains a spelling mistake: Insert "Teilebibliothek" instead of "Teilebibleothek"

I can see no lion (leo) in BlueBrick :laugh:

Stefan

Hi Stefan, thanks for pointing that out. It will be corrected for the next release.

Speaking of German translations, I am assuming that most of the German Eurobricks users are also on 1000steine.de, but incase they aren't I think I should make an announcement here that the German language video Tutorials are now available on the YouTube page. Part 3 in Portuguese is now also available. I noticed YouTube was having some technical difficulties earlier so try it again later if it doesn't work right now.

Unfortunately I have not had time to make more tutorials ... or GIFs for that matter. My employer has reduced my two weeks off to less than one. :sad:

I was a bit surprised not to get any feedback from anyone concerning parts categories which I posted on the 25th?

Edited by missouri_bb63

Hi there!

Just wondering how you generate those beautiful GIFs.

A used to add most of my owned vintage sets to the element registry of TrackDesigner. Now I want to start adding new sets to Bluebrick. What kind of software are you using? Somme freeware around?

Thanks for any hints.

Regards!

Thomas

Hi there!

Just wondering how you generate those beautiful GIFs.

A used to add most of my owned vintage sets to the element registry of TrackDesigner. Now I want to start adding new sets to Bluebrick. What kind of software are you using? Somme freeware around?

Thanks for any hints.

Regards!

Thomas

Hi Thomas! I see you are new to Eurobricks and I would like to give you a warm welcome from all of us.

As I am not sure whether Eurobricks already has a dedicated thread about Virtual Lego, I will keep this answer rather brief for now, but I hope it will give you enough to get started on. I will get in touch with the TrainTec moderator to see if Eurobricks has an appropriate thread and I will get back to you ASAP.

For now however...the GIFs are made with a program called MLCad. Although I guess you could also use the Lego Digital Designer (official program made by TLG). The only drawback with the latter is that parts library is still very limited compared to the parts available for MLCad. Here are the links you will need.

You can find the "getting started" guide and downloads for the LDraw/MLCad package here. This will provide you with all the software you need which includes the LDraw parts library, the MLCad program with which you can create your models, and LDView which is great for viewing your model in 3D.

The parts library in the initial install package is not up to date so you will have to download the updates here and here if you notice that you are missing parts.

You can find a basic tutorial on using MLCad on the MLCad homepage .

Once you have finished the model you can take a screen shot of it using LDView, dedicated screenshot software or by export a top down view directly from MLCad. Everything else you need to know concerning the integration of new GIFs into BlueBrick is included in part 3 of the BlueBrick video tutorials which you can find here (and there will be a slightly more advanced video as soon as I have time to make it).

One of the main updates for BlueBrick 1.6 will be the improved compatibility between Track Designer and LDraw. I have recently started including the baseplates found in the extended TD parts registry.

I hope this will be enough to get you started and I am looking forward to seeing your GIFs soon. I will get in touch with you about Virtual Lego on Eurobricks

Regards,

Alex

(EDIT: Thanks for complimenting the GIFs! We all definitely appreciate that! :classic:)

Edited by missouri_bb63

Hi Alex!

Thanks for reply!

I'm familar with MLCAD/LDVIEW and that kind of software. I also exported once a picture for test purposes from MLCad and resized it via MS Paint to hit the 1stud=8pixel scale. Is that an appropriate way?

That means if I own a set which isn't already included I have to rebuildat least the bricks seen from the top. Right?

Regards!

Thomas

Hi Alex!

Thanks for reply!

I'm familar with MLCAD/LDVIEW and that kind of software. I also exported once a picture for test purposes from MLCad and resized it via MS Paint to hit the 1stud=8pixel scale. Is that an appropriate way?

That means if I own a set which isn't already included I have to rebuildat least the bricks seen from the top. Right?

Regards!

Thomas

Hi Thomas, what you what you did is just right. You might have to increase the brightness of the final GIF a bit so that it blends in with the existing baseplates, but other than that you don't need to make any further changes (I sharpen them in Photoshop as well, but that's optional). In theory all you need to do is build whatever one would see from the top view.

If you would like to share your GIFs you can send me a list of the models you want to make and I will include them in the "under construction" list which you can see in the BlueBrick index. Just include the set number and Peeron set name in a PM message (left click on my username and chose "send message").

Please post any questions you might have once you get to the XML part of you GIF creations. There are slight structural changes between the XML in the Video and the current XML version.

Happy building!

Edited by missouri_bb63

Hi Alex

I got following response, when I tried to send you an PM:

"You are not allowed to use the messenger feature on this board" ??????

Currently I finished

361 - Garage

675 - Snack Bar

Nothing really in good quality:-( Maybe you can approve a little bit the pic quality?

I'm still working on

7993 - Service Station

10199 - Winter Toy Shop

Regards!

Thomas

Hi Thomas!

I am not sure why you got the error message. Perhaps one needs to have a certain number of posts first. I will ask the moderator. I couldn't send you a PM either. :sceptic:

Great GIFs so far. :classic: I love the classic stuff (I grew up with classic town and 12V trains and most of my GIFs are no older than the early 90s).

How did you make the images? Did you do a direct image export from LDraw, or did you use a screen shot...? For post processing Eurobricks user "Aawsum" uses a freeware photo editing tool called GIMP which is similar to Photoshop and provides high quality results when resizing and adjusting color. It can also remove the white background that one can see on your Garage GIF. I am sure we'll find a way to give you the best images possible for your layout. There is an additional thread here where you can post the layout you are working on.

I will add your models to the index, and I am looking forward to your next creations. :sweet:

Let me know if you have any more questions!

(EDIT: I just noticed your images are attatched to the post. For me to be able to put them in the index they need to be linked to another website such as brickshelf or flickr.)

(EDIT 2: I also just noticed that the 675 Snack Bar was already on the "Under Construction" list. I have now added the usernames of the people who have reserved these models.)

(EDIT 3: The Brickster just found out that one have a minimum of 10 posts to be able to send a PM message so keep on posting! :grin: )

Edited by missouri_bb63

Okay! My first finished GIFs. Any comments are welcome.

Pls. check here. Maybe it'll take a while until published.

4996 Building option 3 and 7993 Service Station are in progress.

Regards!

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

those are great GIFs. The only issue seems to be that the baseplates of the two new GIFs are quite bright and your first two GIFs are a little fuzzy which might have happened during the resizing. Is there any chance you could post the original screen shots of all 4 GIFs on your Brickshelf page (also not adjusted for size), so I can adjust them according to the existing BlueBrick GIFs? Thanks.

As everyone has noticed the BlueBrick thread is quite quiet at the moment. It seems like many of us (including Alban and myself), are snowed under with work and other tasks. Because of this the release date for 1.6 will be pushed back by several weeks. We will try to provide you with something new at the beginning of December.

In the mean time please keep on posting if you have any more questions, suggestions, contributions etc!

Edited by missouri_bb63

I was going to post 2 new, small GIFs today as I haven't had a chance to do more over the past weeks, but it turns out that BrickShelf is having some issues. I guess you folk are also getting the "Uploading is temporarily disabled." message.

If Brickshelf isn't up and running by the middle of the week I will post them on Flickr.

Happy building!

Edited by missouri_bb63

Well it seems that Brickshelf is still having problems and Flickr won't support the XML files. Anyone got any ideas on how long one will not be able to upload files to Brickshelf? :sceptic:

My two new GIFs are

6388 Holiday Home Peeron Link

and

6613 Telephone Booth Peeron Link

... and I will post them as soon as I can find an upload solution.