Davey

Bluebrick Layout Software

Hi all. I'm new to Bluebrick and am wondering if anyone has created some of the smaller baseplates (gif and xml):

8 x 16 green baseplate

8 x 32 green baseplate

Hi Greg, first of all welcome to Eurobricks.

Hereby the answer to your question;

Town:

GIF XML : Baseplate 8x16
GIF XML : Baseplate 8x32

In the new format allready Alex :)

As you can see there is no XML, but the main reason for this is that I see no reason to create any. I only use XML for roads and tracks, to make sure they align properly.

Maybe you can share some reasons why you need the xml. I can create it without any problems.

--EDIT-- Updated the GIF's to the correct naming convention.

Edited by aawsum

An update from my side;

Town:

GIF XML : 1966 Car repair Service
GIF XML : 6382 Fire Station
GIF XML : 6383 Snack Bar

Train:

GIF XML: 7996 Track double crossing RC
GIF XML : 7997 Train Station {Still to create XML}
GIF XML: 8867 RC Flex Track (Straight)
GIF XML : 10027 Train shed long version {Still to create XML}
GIF XML : 10027 Train shed sidebyside version {Still to create XML}
GIF XML : 10128 Train crossing {Still to create XML}

"Under construction:"

• too many :)

--EDIT-- Updated pictures for 1966 and 10128 (02-09-2009 | 23:20)

--EDIT-- Updated pictures for 10027 (03-09-2009 | 20:45)

Edited by aawsum

An update from my side;

--EDIT-- Updated pictures for 1966 and 10128 (02-09-2009 | 23:20)

aawsum = machine

You my friend are a force to be reckoned with. Great work developing all these GIF's. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Dave

Nice! I'm going to have to check out this program.

My only recommendation for indexing the gifs is modifying your groups a bit. Perhaps "Trackside Structures" would be a good heading for stations, and train-related buildings. Also, maybe have a stand-alone heading for baseplates & roadplates.

Maybe you can share some reasons why you need the xml. I can create it without any problems.

Now that I think about it, you're right! No xml needed for these. Thanks!

-Greg

Nice! I'm going to have to check out this program.

My only recommendation for indexing the gifs is modifying your groups a bit. Perhaps "Trackside Structures" would be a good heading for stations, and train-related buildings. Also, maybe have a stand-alone heading for baseplates & roadplates.

Hello Brickster, yes you've got a good point there. I will try to come up with new group headers this evening. I will have a look to see how peeron has organized their set index. It might be good to make a structure that people are already familiar with. If any one has the time to check that out by this evening please post the headers in this thread and I will make a new list based on that. If you guys have any other recommendations please post them here.

Maybe a small differentation could be :

Trains / Track

Trains / Buildings

Town / Roads

Town / Buildings

Baseplates

6384 Police station

6384.set.gif

--------------------------------------------------------

Town - Buildings

GIF XML : 1966 Car repair Service
GIF XML : 6382 Fire Station
GIF XML : 6383 Snack Bar
GIF XML : 6384 Police Station

Town - Baseplates

Trains - Track

GIF XML: 7996 Track double crossing RC

Trains - Buildings

GIF XML : 7997 Train Station {Still to create XML}
GIF XML : 10027 Train shed long version {Still to create XML}
GIF XML : 10027 Train shed sidebyside version {Still to create XML}
GIF XML : 10128 Train crossing {Still to create XML}

Edited by aawsum

6384 Police station

6384.gif

--------------------------------------------------------

Another nice GIF! You just need to change the baseplate to 6100p02 in MLCad though. I was actually half way through making that one (it has been in the PDF for a while). So let's all agree to use and also check the "under construction" section in future so we don't do double work. Aawsum it would be great if you could send me a PM with the 2 or 3 models which you would like to do next so I can put them in the PDF until the index is up and running.

Let's focus on the XML files now too. They are an important part of making the GIFs user friendly. We should also make a group decision as to whether we do or do not want to have the vehicles and minifigs on the set GIFs before we make any more. It adds realism, but also takes longer to do. We should have one standard for all. Alban, it would be good if you could also give input on this. 22:30 PM and I just got back from work :hmpf:. I will try to finish off the index tomorrow evening and get my XMLs done over the weekend.

Edited by missouri_bb63

:blush: my apologies

I did send you that PM, so don't be scared.

hereby a small update

I created a curved flextrack part. I understand that the flextrack means that you can twist it in any curve that you want, but this give at least me the opportunity to put it in my layout if I need just a few studs.

GIF XML: 8867 RC Flex Track (Curved)

8867-c.gif

Hey everyone! I finally finished my GIF for the Big Rig Truck Stop (Set #6393).

6393.set.gif

Now I just need to learn the XML bit and get that part done. Enjoy!

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Hey everyone! I finally finished my GIF for the Big Rig Truck Stop (Set #6393).

Now I just need to learn the XML bit and get that part done. Enjoy!

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

That looks great! Thanks! I see you added a vehicle and a minifig too. Perhaps that is the way to go. Should we retro fit the other GIFs with them too? What do you think? I just wanted to make a link to your GIFs in the index but it apears like you you haven't got it linked to a site where they can be downloaded from. You could add it to your Flickr photostream if you like.

EDIT 05.09.09: Nevermind, I just noticed the img source in the script... :blush:

Edited by missouri_bb63

Another nice GIF! You just need to change the baseplate to 6100p02 in MLCad though.

Thanks for the tip

So I did change the baseplate for the following GIFS

1966 Car repair Service

6382 Fire Station

6384 Police Station

Ok everyone, I have completed the BlueBrick index as far as possible. I just sent the final script to the Brickster so he can have a look at it. Hopefully we will have our pinned thread quite soon.

I still need external GIF links from some of you guys so that I can include you in the list. Feel free to send me a PM if you like.

Right, a long hard week has passed and I have a lot of XMLs to make this weekend. :grin: Time to get some shut eye.

Thanks again for all your support. I hope you are all enjoying this as much as I am. :sweet:

:blush: my apologies

I did send you that PM, so don't be scared.

hereby a small update

I created a curved flextrack part. I understand that the flextrack means that you can twist it in any curve that you want, but this give at least me the opportunity to put it in my layout if I need just a few studs.

8867-c.gif

Not a problem! I sent you a PM reply. The GIF looks great with the updated baseplate. :thumbup:

Edited by missouri_bb63

Alban, it would be good if you could also give input on this. 22:30 PM and I just got back from work :hmpf:.

Hi and sorry for the late reply.

I like to see the minifig on the sets, it makes the set more complete. Now I can understand that this is more work for the author of the part, so I don't want to force anyone.

I will try to work on the authoring system this weekend.

Bye.

To me it isn't necessary. Bluebrick is a layout designer in the first place, and people don't need minifigs to design a layout. But if you have time: why not?

Ok, this is what the final index will look like. TheBrickster has given it the green light as well. I just sent him a few more questions concerning the thread itself and as soon as that is sorted out I will post it in a dedicated thread which only I will be able to moderate for the time being. I have included various bits and pieces of input from all of you, and peeron to make this structure. I hope you like it. If you have GIFs under construction, please send me a PM so I can list them. In the mean time I had my first successfull .xml attempts this morning so I will finish off the rest of the XMLs that I owe this weekend and make a video tutorial covering the basics that you will need for your baseplate based models (it was much, much easier than I thought it was going to be). Although we can still make changes later, if you have any more recommendations for the index, this would be the best time. :classic: I will delete the list below as soon as the index thread is made public. Have a good weekend! :grin:

EDIT: I have just made a new BlueBrick folder and renamed the files on Brickshelf so some (my) links posted below won't work any more. The final index will have the correct links. You can get to the new files (including xml), through the link in my signature.

EDIT 06.09.09: the Bricklink index can be found here .

Edited by missouri_bb63

Looking good :)

I also worked on some XML (and at the same time tested the XML help file, which is actually looking very good :) )

Making the XML, and testing it with bluebrick gives me the opportunity to see if the GIF I create is also working OK.

And so I found out that the Train shed side by side version GIF had a wrong format :cry_sad:

So my updates for now are

GIF XML : 10027 Train shed long version {new XML}

GIF XML : 10027 Train shed sidebyside version {updated GIF + new XML}

Next to create the XML for was the 10128 Railway crossing.

This one was a bit more difficult to figure out.

Normally, when creating an xml connection file for a track, you have to remember that a track is 17 studs wide because it has 16 studs + 2 connection points that are together 1 stud.

For this railway crossing, I had ofcourse the same, but if you look at the gif to the right you will see that the track stopped 1 stud earlier then the building structure.

So it costed me some time, but I guess I have fixed it.

10128.set.gif

The XML is uploaded;

GIF XML : 10128 Railway crossing{new XML}

Edited by aawsum

Good job Aawsum! Over the past 2 hours I managed to add xml files to all the GIFs I have made so far. Don't be suprised if the links to the previous files don't work. I renamed them to the same standard that Alban uses. "(Set Number).set.gif" and "(Set Number).set.xml".

Please test them and give me a bug report through the PM messenger. (I am refering to all of you Eurobrick train fans... not Aawsum in particular).

Once the Brickshelf folder is public you can find them here

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=400149 (I also put this link in my signature)

It was much easier than I had thought so anyone else who has made some GIFs should give it a try. I ended up not needing the help file for the baseplates so far (but I have no doubt I will at some point). I will try to make the tutorial tomorrow.

Edited by missouri_bb63

Ok, this was a challenge.

I did create a flextrack, to make sure I could have my digital layout the way it would be in reality. I managed to make the flextrack straight, plus an xml.

However, i also needed a curved part ofcourse. The xml for this one was the most difficult one so far, but I have the feeling I managed :)

Both parts can be found here:

And is those XML file necessary?

And I miss decoupling set 7862. I'm learning how the use this program, so I don't know yet how to make gif-pic's :blush: .

Edited by Panda9001100

And is those XML file necessary?

The XML is used for 2 purposes

1. To align the different tracks or roads to each other perfectly when creating a turn or whatever.

2. To make sure the parts and objects are properly aligned on the grid. Mot of the time sets have an overhang outside the baseplate they use. So the XML makes sure that the objects are nicely connected.

I would suggest to try and make the GIF yourself and ask for help if you need it. Just send a PM to me or missouri, or even better, post your questions in this thread and we will answer it.

Some basic tips on how I create gifs.

a. I create the structure in a lego software program. I use MLCad, but others are fine as well.

b. Make a snapshot of the top view of the structure

c. Make sure you resize the gif an a way that it resembles the scale of 1stud = 8 pixels

Just give it a try ans ask for help if you need it :classic:

Hi,

I've just finished to rewrite the loading code of the XML files, such as the XML files can be more tolerant to mistakes (make all the fields optionnal). I also added the Author and ImageURL fields and implemented the feature for the part list HTML export.

I will ask some of you to beta test it, but unfortunatly you won't be able to release your updated XML files until I release the version 1.5. But I can release 1.5 as soon as the beta testers approve it. :classic:

Bye.

This evening i finished creating the XML files for the sets I already made GIFs for. The XML's were not that difficult to make. They are important btw to improve your layout quality. It makes it a lot easier to create a nice layout and align everything correctly.

Hereby an update of what I did:

Trains

Accessories:

GIF XML : 7996 Track double crossing RC
GIF XML : 8867 RC Flex Track (Straight)
GIF XML : 8867 RC Flex Track (Curved)

Buildings:

GIF XML : 7997 Train Station
GIF XML : 10027 Train shed long version
GIF XML : 10027 Train shed sidebyside version
GIF XML : 10128 Railway crossing

Town